Tippman to tackle?

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I know I’ll regret this… but the amount to which we hear how big he is for a center, it makes me wonder if he has the skill set to bump out to tackle? 

He’s got prototypical size for it, from what I’ve read.

Why not? 

Cause he doesn't have the skills to play Tackle, and is an excellent Center. Why convert a well above average Center into a mediocre Tackle?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Cause he doesn't have the skills to play Tackle, and is an excellent Center. Why convert a well above average Center into a mediocre Tackle?

I didn't say we should. I asked if it's possible. It's just a discussion point.

Just now, JetPotato said:

We just finally got a center because we need a center and folks want to move him? Maybe Aaron Rodgers could be a slot receiver?

He doesn't have the measurables for slot, he's more of an X.

What "folks" are you talking about? It's just me asking about it - nobody else. Read up.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What "folks" are you talking about? It's just me asking about it - nobody else. Read up.

I thought Integrity28 was a group account for a cult in New Jersey

It's the reason I didn't hate the pick. I was watching the draft with my Giants fan buddy. I admitted they probably got the better pure center(who I wanted). It looks like we drafted more of a center we could move up and down the line. Obviously after last seasons sh*t show we prefer the versatility 

Its nice knowing when everything falls apart you can plug and play at multiple postions

• Upvote 3

I wonder if they’ll be able to build an elite pulling iOL that they build the run game around - Tippmann, AVT, invest in another guard - and then just have two good pass protecting tackles in Warren and Mitchell just keep things clean in the passing game when they’re tossing it around.

Would be a different way of doing the OL but if the tackles are good enough in pass protection it might be a reasonable way to put a group together.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I’d guess the Jets plan may be McGovern at C, this kid at one of the G spots, and AVT is penciled in as starting T, and Becton will have to fight for a starting job because one isn’t going to be handed to him.

TBH if they are even counting up Becton to be the starter they should all be fired.

Anything from Becton is gravy.

My guess is the exact opposite of yours. 

C: Tippmann
RG: AVT      
RT: Becton 

• Post of the Week 1

Rodgers time to throw was 2.67 last year, and that was inflated by a couple of games where he was +3 seconds (both Lions games, interestingly enough). Given that, center is probably a little more important to Rodgers than tackle. Middle pressure is a killer

• Upvote 4

Assuming everyone is healthy....

I have the starting OL as this Week 1.

LT: Brown

LG: Tomlinson

C; Tippmann

RG: AVT

RT: Becton

I do think the main threat is CMG pushing both Tippmann and actually Laken. Just bc of Laken's contract  he shouldn't just start over CMG. So I think that's more the position battle that should happen in TC.

I also think the depth is better than we've had in awhile with CMG, Turner, Mitchell, Warren, Schweitzer. That's a backup at every spot that either has experience or upside.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I thought i was discussing it??? I explained why i think it is not possible. Were you only soliciting responses from those who agree with you?

No, there’s nothing to agree with. I interpreted your response as a dismissive argument. I legit wanted to talk about the possibility - mostly a morbid curiosity thing driven by them drafting and position swapping a lot on D. Anyway, my bad if wrong interpretation of your reply.

Jeremiah called him the second best offensive lineman in the draft.

He has short arms, although a half  inch bigger than Skoronski.

Tipp was the fastest OL in the draft 1.65 ten, also most agile.

Center is his best fit, but if we get decent center play from McGovern

or Jones, short term why not?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rodgers time to throw was 2.67 last year, and that was inflated by a couple of games where he was +3 seconds (both Lions games, interestingly enough). Given that, center is probably a little more important to Rodgers than tackle. Middle pressure is a killer

Rodgers is older, so I get the desire to protect him. But the Packers have drafted 2 first round OL since he’s been there, and one of them pretty much immediately broke his leg and didn’t play at all.

They’ve definitely invested in center/iOL too. Two highest drafted players on their OL a tall guy drafted as a center in the second round who plays all over their OL but is probably primarily a guard and the center they drafted in the second round a year later.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Those Lions games concern me.  The Lions D sucked and he had trouble against them both early and late. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hmhertz said:

Jeremiah called him the second best offensive lineman in the draft.

He has short arms, although a half  inch bigger than Skoronski.

Tipp was the fastest OL in the draft 1.65 ten, also most agile.

Center is his best fit, but if we get decent center play from McGovern

or Jones, short term why not?

Does the NFL allow arm enlargement surgery?

On 5/2/2023 at 1:22 PM, Integrity28 said:

I know I’ll regret this… but the amount to which we hear how big he is for a center, it makes me wonder if he has the skill set to bump out to tackle? 

Why not? 

Why. We have 20 tackles. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2023 at 1:22 PM, Integrity28 said:

Why not? 

Why ask why.

• Haha 1

Tippman will see at least a few snaps at both tackle spots this coming TC. Not because he's some great tackle in waiting, but because Saleh loves players that are cross trained and can play several positions. Think back to last season with AVT moving all over the place...heck, even McGovern played RT for a spell.

And don't forget, Tippman spent 2 years playing LT at a high level. I also read somewhere that Tippman chose Wisconsin b/c they wanted to train him in all 5 oline positions.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2023 at 6:39 PM, Integrity28 said:
On 5/2/2023 at 6:39 PM, Integrity28 said:

From now on it’ll be Jet’s fans say…

It boggles my mind some times. A poster can ask a question or make a joke and it suddenly becomes JETS FANS SAY