Jets Sign Ancient WR Randall Cobb

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

The Packers still found time for Watson and Dobbs. I think that if Cobb is your 3rd guy, that's bad, but as a 5th, 6th guy? He won't take up a young talented WR's roster spot.

He didn't start for the Packers much  last year. He is here as a situational guy and package sets.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, ptisme said:

He’ll make some clutch plays.  He also is likely to be hurt more than he plays.   And he takes up a roster spot that could have gone to a young talented WR who could help in a year or two.   That was the problem I had every year with keeping Cobb and Lewis around     Add to that Lazard who’s peaked as just a guy and that’s two roster spots that won’t be improving with time 

Spot on

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I believe @football guy called this a month ago. 

Perhaps Cobb will be the anti-Berrios and hold onto the ball in the endzone. 

Cobb/Hardman is leaps and bounds better than berrios...that drop was unacceptable and something that really sticks out about last year.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, slats said:

They’re certainly similarly old. Last we saw OBJ, he was carted off the field for yet another ACL. Hopkins has missed time the last two years, too. Both are/would be massively expensive, and I don’t know how anyone can expect them to be their previously explosive selves at this stage of their careers. Cobb gives you a consistent 70% catch rate and 12 ypc, which is actually better than Hopkins 65% and 12 ypc the last couple years. Cobb’s production in 2020 & 21 is very similar to OBJ’s. Both a little over 800 yards total at around 12.5 ypc, but Beckham’s catch rate was around 53%. 

Yeah, two guys are much bigger names and are being paid accordingly, but aren’t offering much more on the field nowadays. 

DeAndre Hopkins isn't offering much more on the field than Randall Cobb? OK guy.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Probably why we didnt take JSN.  Huge mistake.  Cobb is totally washed up.

What have you done Joe Douglas?  What have you done??

Has nothing to do with JSN.  Cobb is near retirement. He's a one-year, Rodgers request.   In a year with a strong WR class, JSN goes mid 2nd round. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Remember when parcells brought in joe morris and Steve Atwater?  Cobb had 30+ receptions in each of the last few seasons and hasn’t started many games. Granted he’s old for a running back. But he still has some production and is probably better at pass protecting than any other back on the roster.  The real issue is if he keeps one of the young players off the roster.  This could be a good signing as long as he’s ready and willing to play not like some other old backs the jets have brought in.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Nah. Corey Davis and his 10 plus million is likely to go. 

Cobb and Davis will have different roles.  Cobb is not a Davis replacement.  In other words, if Davis is cut, it won't be because Cobb is on the roster.  It will be to save about $9 M.  I guess the hope there would be that Mims will replace Davis. Ugh.  Cobb doesn't fill that role. 

• Upvote 4

Was always going to happen, A-Rod loves him some Cobb.

Can't hate it - he's experienced depth that the QB trusts. Will also add some veteran experience to the room.

He's going to be the #5 WR, not going to worry too much about his age.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Remember when parcells brought in joe morris and Steve Atwater?  Cobb had 30+ receptions in each of the last few seasons and hasn’t started many games. Granted he’s old for a running back. But he still has some production and is probably better at pass protecting than any other back on the roster.  The real issue is if he keeps one of the young players off the roster.  This could be a good signing as long as he’s ready and willing to play not like some other old backs the jets have brought in.
I hope to God Cobb isn't pass protecting
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He's going to be a 3rd down WR running underneath routes when we need some first downs. Nothing wrong having a reliable WR5 that can come up with the occasional clutch catch. Also doesn't hurt having another vet in the locker room helping the younger guys learn the new offensive system. 

Bingo.  Common sense.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Cobb and Davis will have different roles.  Cobb is not a Davis replacement

No one said that he was. But someone is going to go and Davis makes the most sense. It is either him or Mims and one makes a ton of money he isn’t earning. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

DeAndre Hopkins isn't offering much more on the field than Randall Cobb? OK guy.

Not dollar for dollar, that’s for sure. And you’re giving up picks, too? Hopkins is under contract for $19M in salary this season. I really would’ve liked Hopkins back when he was traded to Arizona. If he had put up similar numbers here, I’d’ve been disappointed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1