QB Andrew Luck ?

-- Colts owner Jim Irsay wants to make it clear that Andrew Luck is off-limits.After learning the availability of Luck was the subject of an inquiry last year by the Washington Commanders, Irsay took to social media Sunday night to warn teams about any correspondence regarding the long-retired Colts quarterback.

"If any NFL team attempted to contact Andrew Luck (or any associate of him) ... to play for their Franchise -- it would be a clear violation of the League's Tampering Policy," Irsay posted on Twitter.

Luck, 33, who retired in 2019 with three seasons remaining on his contract, technically remains the property of the Colts. The contract tolled after his departure, meaning that if he ever elects to return to the NFL, the Colts would own his rights. ESPN reported Saturday that Washington made attempts in 2022 to learn whether Luck had any interest in returning to the NFL. It is unclear who, exactly, Washington had contact with about Luck.

A Colts source said the team is unclear about the nature of the conversations, but it is seeking to learn more about what exactly transpired and whether any tampering occurred.

The NFL's anti-tampering policy is somewhat vague, but direct contact with a player is not required for a violation to occur."Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation," the relevant portion of the policy states.Luck, a four-time Pro Bowl selection who retired at age 29, has adamantly stated in the past he has no intention of returning to the NFL.

>>  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37557229/colts-jim-irsay-warns-teams-andrew-luck-contact

He lost a bunch of weight and is out of the league for too long now. I don’t think we ever see him again. He was one of the “Golden Boy Can’t Miss prospecrs” that includes Elway, Peyton, Luck and Trevor Lawrence 

I saw a recent picture of him. He looks like he aged 15 years.

29 minutes ago, DLJ said:

I saw a recent picture of him. He looks like he aged 15 years.

Only ones I'm seeing were from January 2022 and yeah you're right. But then, I still think of him as a somewhat recent pick yet I don't think of R.Wilson or Tannehill as being as young. 

USATSI_17487602.jpg?w=500&h=300&crop=1

Also he's just not a handsome man. This isn't even close to a bad picture of him.

• Sympathy 1

I still can’t believe he retired.  He had the passing ability of Aaron Rodgers, the brain of Peyton Manning, the running/athletic talent and build of Tim Tebow, + 1 inch of height.  Just a superb player.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Healthy and wealthy. Probably no CTE. Good knees. Good life. 

the only question really is if the colts try to claw back the remaining signing bonus money he owes when they realize that he meant it lol.  I hope he’s smart enough to have that money tucked away somewhere 

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Healthy and wealthy. Probably no CTE. Good knees. Good life. 

the only question really is if the colts try to claw back the remaining signing bonus money he owes when they realize that he meant it lol.  I hope he’s smart enough to have that money tucked away somewhere 

I wonder if there's a statute of limitations on something like that. He's very clearly retired and ain't coming back lol

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I wonder if there's a statute of limitations on something like that. He's very clearly retired and ain't coming back lol

They could have asked for it back right away but I’m sure they didn’t want to upset him. Probably thought he might come back.  Now it’s pretty obvious he meant it so do you ask ?  I guess it depends on how much obviously 

Indianapolis will not recoup any of the $16.8 million Andrew Luck owes the team in the wake of his stunning retirement Saturday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.Aug 25, 2019

It seems like they more or less decided to let him keep it. Wow lol 

• Upvote 1

I respect the guy for making his money and taking off......shows he's pretty smart and has a low ego most of these guys can't stand to be irrelevant which is why they move to Bristol CT and get jobs at ESPN rather than retire and enjoy life on some island. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I still can’t believe he retired.  He had the passing ability of Aaron Rodgers, the brain of Peyton Manning, the running/athletic talent and build of Tim Tebow, + 1 inch of height.  Just a superb player.

The Colts really screwed this up 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

He'll never come back, he's too smart. 

Average age at death for a male in USA = 75 years old

Average age at death for an NFL player = 55 years old

Is this true? The NFL player part. Is 55 an actual statistic? I would believe the average is lower than the national but 55 is almost unbelievable (in a really sad way). If that is an actual statistic, I'd love to see the research  behind it. 

And I completely agree with your premise. Luck always came across as a very intelligent person. The money he had already made - If he made even decent investment decisions and lived a "reasonable" life, he made plenty of money. He, smartly, put his health first and I respect the hell out of him for it. I'm going to cringe everytime Tua takes a sack. After last year, he should never put on pads again. He's going to end up with a serious life long brain injury. It's sad because, as long as he performs the way he did last year, the teams priority is never going to be his health and best interest. They'll never encourage him to walk away for his own good if he can win them games. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Is this true? The NFL player part. Is 55 an actual statistic? I would believe the average is lower than the national but 55 is almost unbelievable (in a really sad way). If that is an actual statistic, I'd love to see the research  behind it. 

And I completely agree with your premise. Luck always came across as a very intelligent person. The money he had already made - If he made even decent investment decisions and lived a "reasonable" life, he made plenty of money. He, smartly, put his health first and I respect the hell out of him for it. I'm going to cringe everytime Tua takes a sack. After last year, he should never put on pads again. He's going to end up with a serious life long brain injury. It's sad because, as long as he performs the way he did last year, the teams priority is never going to be his health and best interest. They'll never encourage him to walk away for his own good if he can win them games. 

55 sounds dubious. Even Firefighters expect to live into their 60s-early 70s...

• Upvote 1

Actually drafting a true franchise QB and seeing them retire at 29 seems like the type of thing that would happen to the Jets, tbh.

I wonder if he can still play, but he made his money and clearly values his health.  I doubt he'll come back unless he has really missed it these past few years.  

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I haven't gone super in depth with it but if you google average life span of an NFL player the consensus is 53-59 years old. Now that being said, the players that are playing today may live significantly longer assuming the game is safe and medical advancements extend life.

9 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sounds like Irsay is a twat. I get tampering with an active player, but the guy is retired. Also, not for nothing, but how easy would it be for a team to tell a player to go make inquiries since players aren't held accountable for tampering.

How’s Irsay a twat?  Luck has 3 years on his deal, he’s property of the Colts.   Sending a player is tampering.