May 31 OTA Updates

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  I guess the prayer is that we can say "Adam Gase" and try to forget it ever happened.  My first thought reading that quote was that is not a good sign for Mims.  When they say he is looking good and going to contribute maybe, but "chance to make this roster?"  Yikes.

Not being at an OTA with Rodgers here is just someone who seems out of it. Rodgers could jump start his career.

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Aaron Rodgers sans shoulder pads throwing on sidelines - 50 yard passes - literal darts. No step well maybe one / one a half , my mistake actually he was standing next to a football jug machine - had my view blocked. 
He’s still on the bike.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wasn't Bawden's "non-descript rookie year" in 2018?  

I thought that too when I first read it - then I realised that it's a continuation from the previous tweet and he's talking about Ruckert:

Jeremy Ruckert, Garrett Wilson among standouts on offense. Ruckert clearly improved...after non-descript rookie year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Exactly. 

It makes me wonder if the NFL wants it to be the Jets and the Jets are pushing back behind the scenes. Saleh already said he'd prefer fewer distractions when asked about it, so I wonder if the Jets as a whole are not thrilled with being this year's obvious choice. 

I looked into in a couple weeks ago. The main reason for the eligibility rules was to allow the NFL to choose who it is without owner interference.  The show is more about fringe guys making the roster but the jets will probably get the best rating’s because of #8. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

his calf exploded and he died. now the jets can't restructure his contract and 2024 is also a wash.

Does that mean we no longer have to give up a 1st round pick to Green Bay?  It doesn't sound like he will be able to play 65% of the plays.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I looked into in a couple weeks ago. The main reason for the eligibility rules was to allow the NFL to choose who it is without owner interference.  The show is more about fringe guys making the roster but the jets will probably get the best rating’s because of #8. 

For sure - but I just wonder if there is some pushback behind the scenes from the Jets (mostly based on the recent comments by Woody and Saleh, which basically told us that the Jets aren’t interested). 

Otherwise, the delay in officially announcing the team seems bizarre. It’s already the end of May. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  I guess the prayer is that we can say "Adam Gase" and try to forget it ever happened.  My first thought reading that quote was that is not a good sign for Mims.  When they say he is looking good and going to contribute maybe, but "chance to make this roster?"  Yikes.

Gase didn't pick Mims, fat Joe is responsible for that and Becton too.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, to be real here for a second, in about two weeks we’re probably going to have to get pretty serious about bringing in a viable QB2. Bridgewater is shot, and you cannot under any circumstances entertain the idea of bringing in Wentz. But what about Chase Daniel? He’s 36, a consummate pro, and has been mostly effective when called upon. Why not throw him $2mm? The Jets have too much at stake to trust a never-was like Tim Boyle or Streveler to fill in in a pinch. 

I really don't think we look at a backup QB right now. The hope is going to be AR8 plays all 20 games this year, if he gets hurt, we aren't going to be winning with a backup IMO. Jets will want the optics of Zach as QB2.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, to be real here for a second, in about two weeks we’re probably going to have to get pretty serious about bringing in a viable QB2. Bridgewater is shot, and you cannot under any circumstances entertain the idea of bringing in Wentz. But what about Chase Daniel? He’s 36, a consummate pro, and has been mostly effective when called upon. Why not throw him $2mm? The Jets have too much at stake to trust a never-was like Tim Boyle or Streveler to fill in in a pinch. 

As much as its hard to grasp, Zach Wilson is our QB2 this season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Exactly. 

It makes me wonder if the NFL wants it to be the Jets and the Jets are pushing back behind the scenes. Saleh already said he'd prefer fewer distractions when asked about it, so I wonder if the Jets as a whole are not thrilled with being this year's obvious choice. 

If true, STICK to your guns Saleh & Say NO!!!

25 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I really don't think we look at a backup QB right now. The hope is going to be AR8 plays all 20 games this year, if he gets hurt, we aren't going to be winning with a backup IMO. Jets will want the optics of Zach as QB2.

Counterpoint: Zach Wilson is in his third preseason and is still reportedly struggling with the basics. He may very well be Greg Jeffries. The optics of continuing to give him chances to waste reps all summer is going to end up being a distraction. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Counterpoint: Zach Wilson is in his third preseason and is still reportedly struggling with the basics. He may very well be Greg Jeffries. The optics of continuing to give him chances to waste reps all summer is going to end up being a distraction. 

Additional point:  This team is a SB contender and needs a viable QB2 to "hold the fort" should Rodgers miss ~ 3 games.

Having Zach Wilson enter the season as the auto QB2 then go out there and jettison our chances at a division title would be madness and a fireable offense for everyone in charge.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

With Jimmy G shot is there any chance NYJ can dump ZW’s contract on the raiders ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is a scary likeness to draw because Jeffries went on to become an All-Star after the Mets gave up on him. Lastings Milledge would have made me feel better.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is a scary likeness to draw because Jeffries went on to become an All-Star after the Mets gave up on him. Lastings Milledge would have made me feel better.

Lol Milledge was overhyped to begin with.  I used to be in a baseball dynasty league and this guy hoarded Milledge like was going to be a 5 tool star.  I remember having online arguments because I thought Adam Miller (Indians pitcher with lights out stuff but ended up with blister issues and sucked) was going to be better.  They both ended up sucking.  

I'm somewhat OK with Rodgers not really playing much at OTAs.  I just want him to coach up the receivers and Zach Wilson.  

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It is funny that Greg Jeffries tweets grinder and suddenly he is on the tip of your tongue.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JETS SB said:

If Rodgers goes down, the season is over anyways, so why waste any more cap money?

Or the season could not be over. The Jets were 5-2 with Breece Hall playing and 2-8 without him last season. Zach Wilson's QBRecord is winning from last season mostly because of Hall and AVT. Imagine what could happen if somebody who is ready to drive the bus is the backup.

As much as I like Zach and want him to succeed, his best path this season is inactive with a clipboard in hands, or a 3rd stringer if required. He needs a reset, and an offseason isn't going to fix his woes. The season won't be over if Rodgers goes down, so it would be beneficial to all parties (except the opponents) to get a viable backup and let Zach sit back this season.

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

For sure - but I just wonder if there is some pushback behind the scenes from the Jets (mostly based on the recent comments by Woody and Saleh, which basically told us that the Jets aren’t interested). 

Otherwise, the delay in officially announcing the team seems bizarre. It’s already the end of May. 

Has any team done Hard Knocks twice? There are 32 teams in the league, and the Jets have been there done that. I’d be pushing back hard, too. The league can allegedly force a team a team to do it but what if said team just says they will not cooperate? We won’t let them in the facility, we won’t talk to them outside. What happens then? I don’t think there’s a team in the league that wants to do that show, and the two month delay could be everyone just saying no this time. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As long as he's not the starter, I'm not sure many fans will care. I really think the Jets are going to bank on Aaron playing every game.

• Upvote 1