Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your version of all-in is another way of saying stupid.  Spend on every guy that has had success and everything else be damned.  Even if you 100% want to win in 2023 at the expense of all future years, the willy-nilly spending you keep proposing is not helpful.  Quinnen does not get a deal and is unhappy.  Rodgers has the can kicked to next season and the entire rest of the team sees a $100M hit next year and knows they are not getting paid if they stay.  Short window or not, 

You can make a similar case for Ezekiel Elliott, but I don't think these guys are necessarily upgrades.  RBs fall off a cliff.  Guys like Fournette, and Doug Martin could barely find jobs after having fairly big seasons.  

If you think not paying OBJ $15M is a black mark on Douglas, there is literally nothing that can help you and I am surprised you can make it to the mailbox. 

kicking martial arts GIF

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, slats said:

I love these straight up comparisons as if they make any logical sense at all. Why don’t you figure in the Vikings OL and QB in a quick comparison to what the Jets backs were dealing with. Remember, AVT went down in the same game Hall did. They really never had a chance. I think if Carter and Cook had switched teams, their stats would be significantly closer, if not reversed. 

This is the dumbest post in the history of dumb posts. Michael Carter is trash.  

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You completely ignored my point and just keep banging away at this 1110 yard thing.  Why aren't the Vikings, who are a playoff team, enamored with Cook's 1100 yards?????  Instead, they are handing the position over to a back who had 282 yards and 3.8 ypc last season.  Weird right?  

Teams don't win in the NFL in 2023 paying 28 year old running backs $5-10 million a season.  They just don't.  And they don't win paying 31 year old receivers coming off a serious knee injury $15 million either.  

The point you keep failing to comprehend is that a significant number of fans (and maybe JD as well) just don't think Cook is an upgrade at all over Carter or Knight or Abanikanda.  

Cook is a better runner, better pass catcher, and better goal line back than anyone on the Jets not named Breece Hall, who is still questionable at the beginning of the season and we are trying to win a Super Bowl. No you don’t need a stud RB to win a Super Bowl. But you do need competency. The Jets don’t have anything beyond Hall. Prove me otherwise. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

@slats makes a good point. OL and QB play are drastically different when looking at last year's Vikings and Jets RB production.

I do think Cook is a better back than Carter but their situations last year could not have been more different.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

I thought y’all had some good or new news or something , not a bunch of drunk 40+ somethings arguing about signing a PB running back 

61 haven't taken a drink in 30 years and could run circles around you in the gym my friend.

I would rather they sign Hopkins, but either one is a plus to keep them out of the AFCE.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

@slats makes a good point. OL and QB play are drastically different when looking at last year's Vikings and Jets RB production.

I do think Cook is a better back than Carter but their situations last year could not have been more different.

Other than Cook is a 4 time pro bowler and Michael Carter should be on the practice squad.

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have Aaron Rodgers.  Let him throw the ball the 1st month of the season if breece isnt ready.  If we need an all star team around rodgers to be successful then we should have never signed him.  Mahomes had some kid Pacheceo running the ball and was just fine.

Interesting stats.  Note the top two, where Cook fits in, and who had only 16.6% of their runs stuffed.  A lot of these FA's look washed.  Can't blame it all on OL play...

DC1.jpg

DC 2.jpg

21 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Cook is a better runner, better pass catcher, and better goal line back than anyone on the Jets not named Breece Hall, who is still questionable at the beginning of the season and we are trying to win a Super Bowl. No you don’t need a stud RB to win a Super Bowl. But you do need competency. The Jets don’t have anything beyond Hall. Prove me otherwise. 

Older running backs are good until they aren't, and the drop is quick.

Did Carter stink in 2021?  He had a good rookie season and averaged 5.3 yards a touch, which is good. His 2022 season can be explained with injuries - to him and the OL. Why did Knight have two strong games and then fall apart last season.  Very few running backs can overcome a bad OL.  Cook isn't one of them.  

You can't prove that Cook would have been better than Carter or Knight if he played for the Jets last season.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

I remember when I was vehemently arguing against signing Le’Veon Bell. I feel good about my opinion with Cook, too. 

• Upvote 3

The bottom line is this.  Is Cook still considered a play maker?  If that answer is yes, you sign him to a contract with built in incentives that will work for both parties.  Jimmy Johnson, when he was winning SB's in Dallas was asked, "Jimmy, what to you attribute to winning" and his answer was just two words...PLAY MAKERS.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Yes, the team who traded a first for a small window w/ a HOF QB and are paying him a ridiculous amount of money are not actually "all in"...the only way they are "all in" is by overpaying for sh*tty FA's. 

Fido, you got them good brains, brah.  A real next level thinker.

Yes.  Now you got it.  I'm proud of you....

If you're going to pay a ridiculous amount in cash and picks for the 17th best QB last year...

You better damn sure go out and do everything you can to win it all.  Point is, at this point Rodgers is a sunk cost.  Now that it's done - try and leverage it.

That's all.  They signed Rodgers and fell back to business as usual with everything else.  It's entirely illogical.  

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  Now you got it.  I'm proud of you....

If you're going to pay a ridiculous amount in cash and picks for the 17th best QB last year...

You better damn sure go out and do everything you can to win it all.  Point is, at this point Rodgers is a sunk cost.  Now that it's done - try and leverage it.

That's all.  They signed Rodgers and fell back to business as usual with everything else.  It's entirely illogical.  

"This team I like did something stupid. They should respond by doing more stupid tings. Go full stupid."

-FidelioJet, 2023

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

"This team I like did something stupid. They should respond by doing more stupid tings. Go full stupid."

-FidelioJet, 2023

I don't think it's stupid to go for it.

Yes, you'll pay the price in two years (much the like the Rams) but I believe taking that chance is the right move after bringing in a declining Rodgers with a one or two year window.  

I don't understand why the Jets always have to win the Cap wars.  GO FOR IT!  Stop being afraid.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think it's stupid to go for it.

Yes, you'll pay the price in two years (much the like the Rams) but I believe taking that chance is the right move after bringing in a declining Rodgers with a one or two year window.  

I don't understand why the Jets always have to win the Cap wars.  GO FOR IT!  Stop being afraid.

I took "If you're going to pay a ridiculous amount in cash and picks for the 17th best QB last year.." to mean that you thought signing Rodgers to the "ridiculous amount" was stupid . . . 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I remember when I was vehemently arguing against signing Le’Veon Bell. I feel good about my opinion with Cook, too. 

Le'veon Bell. The guy who didnt play for a year, after a holdout. And still managed 1,250 combined yards, playing on a terrible team. Great comparison to a 4 time pro bowler, coming off a pro bowl season, coming to one of the Super Bowl favorites and not being relied upon as the only feature back. 

There have been several good RB's brought in to the Jets, near the end of their best years (LT and TJ to name a few) and have helped them to the playoffs. No one is asking Davlin Cook to get 2,000 yards and 20 TDs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Remember that Cook would be a lot cheaper than Bell was and would be RB2 as opposed to RB1. 

Cook for a win-now team makes more sense than giving Bell a huge contract did for us in 2019. 

However, I'm still up in the air about Cook. 

the million dollar question (pun intended) that none of here can answer is what type of money and role is cook willing to accept.

i'm concerned he's a declining RB about to hit the proverbial wall.  which is why i'm not willing to hand him a contract anywhere close to the $10 million he purportedly was looking for.  now if he's willing to take a $3-4 million contract, perhaps with some incentives, and accept a role as timeshare with hall, then sure, he's worth the gamble.

39 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

the million dollar question (pun intended) that none of here can answer is what type of money and role is cook willing to accept.

i'm concerned he's a declining RB about to hit the proverbial wall.  which is why i'm not willing to hand him a contract anywhere close to the $10 million he purportedly was looking for.  now if he's willing to take a $3-4 million contract, perhaps with some incentives, and accept a role as timeshare with hall, then sure, he's worth the gamble.

He’s said he’s willing to accept a smaller role to have a chance to win a SB. So based on those comments you’d have to assume he’d be ok with being here and splitting touches with Hall. Cook likely getting most the touches early in the season with Hall getting more and more as the season progresses as his health does.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cook cant find a job.  Wonder why?

Man, I hate takes like this. It’s like saying if I try to sell my half a million dollar house for 2 million and no one buys it, that it is trash.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, slats said:

I love these straight up comparisons as if they make any logical sense at all. Why don’t you figure in the Vikings OL and QB in a quick comparison to what the Jets backs were dealing with. Remember, AVT went down in the same game Hall did. They really never had a chance. I think if Carter and Cook had switched teams, their stats would be significantly closer, if not reversed. 

Too many cervezas today?  Vikings O-line sucked last year and Cook still had 1200 yards with what was more or less a separated shoulder.

Carter was abysmal with or without AVT.  To compare them is bizarre.

They obviously don't think Breece will be 100% out of the gates and the fact they are this involved on a potential Cook signing means they are petrified of having to rely on Carter and/or a rookie.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The Rodgers deal was a disaster - it's always going to be a disaster.

But because you made that trade and then brought on that ridiculous contract - not supporting it with Talent would be an even more absurd decision.

It's not a disaster, lol. He's 2 years removed from an MVP. He will be light years better than what we have seen behind center the past few years. This roster is really good and a real NFL QB was the missing piece. It's going to be a great season. 

10 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

The bottom line is this.  Is Cook still considered a play maker?  If that answer is yes, you sign him to a contract with built in incentives that will work for both parties.  Jimmy Johnson, when he was winning SB's in Dallas was asked, "Jimmy, what to you attribute to winning" and his answer was just two words...PLAY MAKERS.

Terrible idea and not one that either party should be interested in pursuing.  Everyone knows Breece is the guy once he ramps up.  You don’t want any risk of Cook b*tching about a lack of touches late in the season.  

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Man, I hate takes like this. It’s like saying if I try to sell my half a million dollar house for 2 million and no one buys it, that it is trash.

well technically a half million dollar house is pretty trash for a 2 million dollar house

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Terrible idea and not one that either party should be interested in pursuing.  Everyone knows Breece is the guy once he ramps up.  You don’t want any risk of Cook b*tching about a lack of touches late in the season.  

This is our 2 yr. window to make a Championship run. We need to have reliable depth at all position groups so that inevitable injuries will not derail our chances. If we’re winning, I don’t see Cook complaining that he’s only getting 12 -15 touches/game. He wants a SB ring like everyone else.

Carter, IA and Bam backing up Hall, doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling I need. 

This is why we need to bring Kwon back also.

15 hours ago, slats said:

Ok, this is getting a little out there now. The situation  with Cook is nothing like Bell's. I agree in hindsight that Bell was a bad fit here but Cook is still in his prime all though  nearing the end. If Cook would sign a 2 year deal, I don't  see a problem. 

54 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

This is our 2 yr. window to make a Championship run. We need to have reliable depth at all position groups so that inevitable injuries will not derail our chances. If we’re winning, I don’t see Cook complaining that he’s only getting 12 -15 touches/game. He wants a SB ring like everyone else.

Carter, IA and Bam backing up Hall, doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling I need. 

This is why we need to bring Kwon back also.

This post illustrates the disconnect between the people who want Cook and those that don’t. There’s only so many RB touches yo go around. Jets RBs will have about 500 touches this season -400 carries and 100 receptions.  That’s roughly 30 a game. If Hall is brought along somewhat slowly, he’ll get half of those touches-about 250 touches(200 carries and 50 receptions). If Carter, Abanikanda and Knight get 5 touches each a game, that’s the other 250 touches. If one of the three looks good in preseason, he might get 8-10 a game or 150 for the season.

How does Cook even fit in here absent a Hall injury? Giving Cook 10-15 touches a game creates a platoon with Hall and the other three RBs are completely irrelevant. That’s not happening. 

So how do you justify paying Cook starting RB money just to give him 5-8 touches a game? And how will he not be a problem with such s complementary role?

Add in his age and his imminent decline and it’s a waste. 

Carter, Abanikanda and Knight can pick up the slack and split the 12-15 touches Hall isn’t getting.

• Upvote 1