Saleh: Duane Brown is going to be a "hard out"

The question for Becton now is whether he wants to try to be a starting RT or a backup LT. If he secures the starting RT spot and plays well, he might have another contract commensurate with a starter's pay. If he ends up backup LT, he's probably on his way to second string somewhere else.

• Sympathy 1

Saleh is motivating Becton. That's coaching 101. 

meanwhile, JD has this annoying habit of signing vets who undercut his draft picks 

He signs Laken who plays LG and wears the same number as AVT, makes AVT move to RG

he signs Duane Brown in kind of a panic move, knowing that Becton plays the same LT position. 

Why are they making the young guys move? why not make the expensive experienced vets move? 

What's next? Joe Tippman at guard? AVT at left tackle? Max Mitchell to punter? 

all that being said, the coaches probably want Duane Brown pass-blocking Myles Garrett for Aaron Rodgers in that game on Dec 28. Becton got served the last time they met. That's logical. 

The best case scenario is that both players are healthy and both play - but as they say the best-laid plans of mice and men 

Becton might actually be in better physical condition than Brown right now.

It's like let's see who doesn't get hurt. 

we could spend all this time talking about it and it ends up Billy Turner plays more snaps than both

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah yes, that “annoying habit” of prioritizing versatility in the draft.

How dare he.  

it's not the draft picks it's the vet signings

the Jets HAVE to play Duane Brown because he's expensive. Duane Brown HAS to play LT (apparently).

The Laken signing was atrocious, just in terms of price and how Laken played. They could start Trystan Colon at LG and get similar results. 

Young players need to develop it's nice to see AVT all over the line but don't mess with him too much.

Becton really might be a throwback natural LT in a Jon Ogden or Orlando Pace mold 

but we can't really have that conversation because there's millions tied up in Brown and Laken.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saleh is definitely annoyed by Becton’s sense of entitlement.  In Saleh’s mind, Becton is basically a rookie starting over at this point.  He’s been out of sight, out of mind for so long and has no business demanding the LT job.

Meanwhile, the new OL coach is a hardass who isn’t going to mess around.  He’s gonna hurt Becton’s fragile little feelings to the point where Mekhi will be creating a burner Twitter account to complain about him.  

It's motivation 

Ottis Anderson used to say if Bill Parcells was yelling at you, that's good 

it's when He stops yelling at you that's bad 

Becton has enough talent to keep these coaches interested and they want to get the most out of him 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile, the new OL coach is a hardass who isn’t going to mess around.  He’s gonna hurt Becton’s fragile little feelings to the point where Mekhi will be creating a burner Twitter account to complain about him.  

Should send Zach on a rotation with that guy. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, undertow said:

I.AM.A.RIGHT. TACKLE!!! - Fatty McFaterson

Saleh is desperately hoping someone steps up and wins the RT job over Becton so he can sit him down.

Though that scenario might be best for Becton anyways:  Starting on the bench only to appear later in the season at LT due to injury or whatever is better for him than getting locked in as a RT.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saleh is desperately hoping someone steps up and wins the RT job over Becton so he can sit him down.

Though that scenario might be best for Becton anyways:  Starting on the bench only to appear later in the season at LT due to injury or whatever is better for him than getting locked in as a RT.

I was a Becton backer till he started chirping like Elijah Moore when he should have been worrying about coming back from 2 years of injuries and proving himself...he's gone eventually it's just a matter of time.

• Upvote 2

It took being in a contract year for Becton to realize he needs to be sub-400 pounds. The Jets were prepared each of the last two seasons to hand him the starting LT job and he proceeded to come in completely out of shape and then bust his knees which forced JD to invest nearly $30M into Morgan Moses and Duane Brown. He’s earned nothing.

Go out there and win the left tackle job or suck it up and play RT.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd start McGovern over Tomlinson 

How about we wait until training camp to decide?

The free agent market for McGovern was thin for a reason.

Yes, maybe he's a better Guard than Center but he hasn't played there in a few and other teams weren't necessarily lining up to sign him there either.  

In spirit, I agree that the Jets should have an open competition at LG, if only to motivate the hell out of a high priced free agent who didn't show up last year.  Trystan Colon, Wes Schweitzer, & Billy Turner should all be considered.  Moving AVT back to LG and starting someone better suited for RG is another potential scenario I can envision.

Anyone who plays with the injury he had last year when he could have just as easily had the surgery, collected his salary and not one person would have said boo says a lot about the man. 
I agree with Saleh Brown is going to be a “hard out”!!  My money is on Brown for sure 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Sounds like Becton is playing RT

if he makes a big stink about that, he gets moved 

Max Mitchell was very good in his abbreviated play before being injured. Seems they like what they have in him. Seems odd though to just plug Brown on there at LT and force Be ton to play RT. Neither want to play RT. Becton should just suck it up and play RT and hopefully play at a high level. That would go light years in getting a new contract in place and returning to LT next year. But I think, regardless of his play, he’s done in NY. If he yips and yaps about playing RT, he’s trade meat. 

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

How about we wait until training camp to decide?

The free agent market for McGovern was thin for a reason.

Yes, maybe he's a better Guard than Center but he hasn't played there in a few and other teams weren't necessarily lining up to sign him there either.  

In spirit, I agree that the Jets should have an open competition at LG, if only to motivate the hell out of a high priced free agent who didn't show up last year.  Trystan Colon, Wes Schweitzer, & Billy Turner should all be considered.  Moving AVT back to LG and starting someone better suited for RG is another potential scenario I can envision.

sure, decide in training camp but someone needs to be penciled in at starting guard. If I'm making the depth chart there's no way Tomlinson is handed a starting spot after his performance last year. McGovern was average to below average last year at his second best position. Tomlinson was really bad.