Zach struggling at OTAs

Just a couple of the beat’s tweets from today:

[Connor Hughes] The Zach Wilson red zone period ends without a touchdown. Couple ugly throws in there, including a near INT off a deflection. #Jets

[Zack Rosenblatt] Zach Wilson had a rough go in 7 on 7 red zone drills. 1/4, and a couple of them were way off. #Jets

When does Joe D decide to pull the plug on the idea that Zach can actually be a viable backup this year? He needs to be red shirted as a QB3 who under no circumstances will be in position to see the field this year. I understand the season is cooked if Rodgers is out for any extended period of time but we need somebody who can capably fill in if he were to miss a game or two with a minor injury. Teddy Two Gloves is least capable of completing 5 yard passes to the flats.

It sucks that we even have to talk about this, especially since I figured OTAs would’ve been perfectly set up for a QB like Zach who excels in shorts to succeed.

• Upvote 9
  • Thumb Down 12
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MTJ06 said:

Nice day for Zach Wilson, who ran the first-team offense in 11 x 11. Went 5-for-5 in only 11 x 11 period, mostly short stuff. Went 6-for-8 in 7 x 7, including 2-for-4 in red zone. Overall, seemed comfortable. Lots of checkdowns.

Wilson had a great diving reception on the sideline and Uzama had a TD catch, so overall pretty good. Just keep working kid.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Do you know how far JaMarcus could throw a ball from his knees?  Yet Zach is the better QB.  Wow.   Good to see.  

If I left the above as my post it wound not be the worst post in this thread. Zach was 2/4 or 1/4 in a drill.   Any people are crying lol.  

Good grief. It’s spring training camp. This is the time for players to start working in a team setting. The real camp, where things will really count is in august. And then there will be a whole lotta Zach in the pre season games. Only then will we see if a season without milfy will improve his play.  And let’s not forget the jets should have a pretty stout run game , especially if they sign cook.  This alone will do wonders for their passing game.

• Upvote 3

Zach has plenty of talent.  He has shown glimpses of ability to make elite throws from a clean pocket.  Under pressure and/or when he is confused by the defense, or he just gets lazy with mechanics, it has been mostly ugly.

The Jets won’t learn any more about him until he sees regular season action again.  

Hopefully, not this season…

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Alex G said:

Just a couple of the beat’s tweets from today:

[Connor Hughes] The Zach Wilson red zone period ends without a touchdown. Couple ugly throws in there, including a near INT off a deflection. #Jets

[Zack Rosenblatt] Zach Wilson had a rough go in 7 on 7 red zone drills. 1/4, and a couple of them were way off. #Jets

When does Joe D decide to pull the plug on the idea that Zach can actually be a viable backup this year? He needs to be red shirted as a QB3 who under no circumstances will be in position to see the field this year. I understand the season is cooked if Rodgers is out for any extended period of time but we need somebody who can capably fill in if he were to miss a game or two with a minor injury. Teddy Two Gloves is least capable of completing 5 yard passes to the flats.

It sucks that we even have to talk about this, especially since I figured OTAs would’ve been perfectly set up for a QB like Zach who excels in shorts to succeed.

Grass is green.

Sky is blue.

Water is wet.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Good grief. It’s spring training camp. This is the time for players to start working in a team setting. The real camp, where things will really count is in august. And then there will be a whole lotta Zach in the pre season games. Only then will we see if a season without milfy will improve his play.  And let’s not forget the jets should have a pretty stout run game , especially if they sign cook.  This alone will do wonders for their passing game.

I think even ZW knows he sucks at this point.

It’s why he has no confidence on even the most basic of throws.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

For the staff it is going to be the eye test. Zach has the physical talent but he regressed last year to the point where he was as broken as a QB can be. They put him in a time out and it didn't work.

If he doesn't step on the field with confidence and command, he can't be the backup. Hopefully that isn't case. This new offense and a mentor in Rodgers is the only chance Zach has to redeem himself.

this is it. between the coaches and aaron they know exactly what they have at this point. i am not worried.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Pull the plug?  When is Douglas going to tar and feather him?  

Would have been strangely honorable (and hilarious) if the draft day call had gone something like this:

Saleh:  “you ready to do this, dog!?”

ZW:  “ehhh…I know you love me and think I’m the answer and, you know, the stupid pro day throw I practiced for months and all that, but I actually suck at football.  I could’t do that to the organization or fanbase.  Do yourself a favor and take Jamar Chase.  If I fall to day 3, by all means, go ahead and waste one of those picks on me.”

Zach has actually had very good OTAs. Had some issues with 7 on 7 today but 11 on 11 was nearly perfect and has previously had very good results. Quick release and great footwork, per several previous reports. Of course they aren’t broadcasted here, because nearly everyone here hates the kid. 

Said it once, say it 1,000 times. If we lose Aaron Rodgers to injury, we are toast. If we cut Zach, we have to take on dead cap. No reason to do that when we have other needs. 

If Aaron felt Zach wasn’t cutting it, he would have Boyle in there as backup immediately. That hasn’t happened (yet). 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

For the staff it is going to be the eye test. Zach has the physical talent but he regressed last year to the point where he was as broken as a QB can be. They put him in a time out and it didn't work.

If he doesn't step on the field with confidence and command, he can't be the backup. Hopefully that isn't case. This new offense and a mentor in Rodgers is the only chance Zach has to redeem himself.

Nailed it.

• Upvote 1

Strevler is our best back up, a bunch of jerks burying him on one throw

where the ball might have slipped out of his hand during monsoon.

• Chris Streveler impressed on a drill where the quarterbacks tried to hit a target after fielding a bad snap. He went 6-for-6 whereas Zach Wilson went just 1-for-5;
  • Same as crapping on Hurts on his last SB throw
  • Upvote 2