Laken Tomlinson: “This offensive line is going to be one of the best in the league.”

PS17

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Put it this way - AVT and Becton have All Pro potential. Now will they ever reach that ceiling who knows? The left side of the line are a couple of solid vets with Laken and Duane… also let’s take into account Rodgers has one of the quickest releases in the game. He’s not gonna be running backwards trying to be Pat Mahomes. 

Also if we get decimated with injuries like we did last year our depth is not that great. You would assume AVT could be an emergency tackle if things go haywire like it did last year. 

There's no reason to believe that about Becton but his draft position.  Let's see if Becton can even survive a season as a solid starter and shake the well-deserved draft bust label before talking All-Pro.

AVT has the potential, but to be quite honest still has a very high mark to reach to justify spending a high first rounder on an interior OL considering what an unmitigated disaster both of those respective draft classes have turned out to be.  That's of course not AVT's fault, but is simply a big part of the reason of why the pressure is on for everything to get fixed right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's no reason to believe that about Becton but his draft position.  Let's see if Becton can even survive a season as a solid starter and shake the well-deserved draft bust label before talking All-Pro.

AVT has the potential, but to be quite honest still has a very high mark to reach to justify spending a high first rounder on an interior OL considering what an unmitigated disaster both of those respective draft classes have turned out to be.  That's of course not AVT's fault, but is simply a big part of the reason of why the pressure is on for everything to get fixed right now.

To be fair guys versatility  last year before getting hurt has to be considered. Last years injury were just too much but that kid jumped in wherever they needed and did work, of course till he gut hurt too. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair guys versatility  last year before getting hurt has to be considered. Last years injury were just too much but that kid jumped in wherever they needed and did work, of course till he gut hurt too. 

Yep, totally fair.  The situation isn't his fault in the least, but for both his own sake and the team's, he either needs to be a monster on the inside or full-time at a tackle spot.  He has the potential no doubt, but the failures to address spots around him make the situation a bit more difficult.  Here's hoping the rest of it starts to correct itself a bit this year.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Put it this way - AVT and Becton have All Pro potential. Now will they ever reach that ceiling who knows? The left side of the line are a couple of solid vets with Laken and Duane… also let’s take into account Rodgers has one of the quickest releases in the game. He’s not gonna be running backwards trying to be Pat Mahomes. 

Also if we get decimated with injuries like we did last year our depth is not that great. You would assume AVT could be an emergency tackle if things go haywire like it did last year. 

I think it’s fair to say Tippman has All-Pro potential as well. That’s 3 out of 5 guys. And like you said, Laken and Brown are vets who might reach a ‘solid’ playing level. 

But we haven’t actually seen them do it. And I agree 100% injuries and how the depth does will have a major impact.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, PS17 said:

I found this very intriguing. Was watching the post-game interviews and this question and answer from Laken Tomlinson stood out. Ethan Greenberg was asking him about Rodgers, his influence, etc. and Tomlinson was answering with mostly cliches and fluff. Final question: “what do you think of the potential of this offensive line?” Tomlinson hesitated and just stuttered with a sh*t-eating grin for about ten seconds.

And then finally he said “I’m just gonna say it. I think this is going to be one of the best offensive lines in the league. This year.” I know Tomlinson wasn’t great last year but his demeanor answering the question made me raise an eyebrow. All off-season we’ve been told the offensive line is the weakest unit on the team, and maybe it is. But if these guys play to their potential and stay healthy, maybe it’ll be a strength, or at the very least league average. I was happy to see the confidence and maybe the team and coaches feel the same way internally. 

Tomlinson interview starts at 5:28, the final question at 7:20.

So he’s been traded. Sweet.

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

More likely: Rodgers’ quick processing and fastest snap-to-throw time in the league is going to make the OL look pretty darn good.

I think this gets overlooked among all the doom and gloom about the OL. If they’re an average group, Rodgers’ quick processing and pre-snap reads will elevate them to above average. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

I think this gets overlooked among all the doom and gloom about the OL. If they’re an average group, Rodgers’ quick processing and pre-snap reads will elevate them to above average. 

The biggest OL upgrade this off season isn’t a healthy Becton and AVT or addition of Tippman — it’s Rodgers himself.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 2:33 PM, JiF said:

The look he gives tells me this line hears the noise.  Hears the narrative that the one big question mark that could hold this team back from greatness and clearly they're motivated to prove people wrong.  If you think about it, every single guy on the line has had some type of criticism or looming question mark hanging over them.

Brown - too old, coming off injury, hasnt practiced, can he still play? 

Tomlinson - sucks, got sold a bill of goods, way overpaid 

McGovern - terrible, sucks, need to upgrade, hope Tippy plays

AVT - awesome but coming off injury, is he fully recovered? 

Becton - the is genuine hate out there for this man

They've truly responded to the adversity and showed us all, didn't they. 

• 3 months later...