Will Zach be released after the season or held for a trade?

Will Zach be released after the season or held for a trade  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Title says it all

• He has no trade value so he gets released
    • JD is a master deal maker and will get something for Zach by draft day

I think he’ll get moved for a very late pick but I don’t care how it happens… the kid has got to go by any means necessary. He’s a bad quarterback and his presence is a huge distraction at this point for everybody in the organization

• Upvote 2

The Jets are a corporate style organization.  Optics mean as much as substance.

If the Jets cut him, saved the roster spot and used it for a better player on a practice squad or draft pick/UDFA (like Tommy Cutlets, for example), I think they would be better off.  With this and coaches, it would not matter if Zach signed for the minimum (Saving the Jets that money) and was even successful there (unless it was a team like the Patriots).

But Zach Wilson cannot embarrass JD and Saleh more than he already has.  If they keep him even as QB3, the damage is controlled.  If he goes off elsewhere, we can have another Flacco situation.  I am sure they are reminded of that. 

So JD will try and trade Zach and get some compensation/assumption of contract, and hopefully to a team outside the Conference/Division.  If you cut him, he ends up a Patriot who plays well.

36 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I think he’ll get moved for a very late pick but I don’t care how it happens… the kid has got to go by any means necessary. He’s a bad quarterback and his presence is a huge distraction at this point for everybody in the organization

Hate to joke like this but it may be zach and a 5th round pick, get back a 7th all alone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Late round pick, 5 or a 6

Lance was for a 4th.

The Cowboys gave up a 4th and took 2 years of Lance's salary, over $9mm.  The 49ers fleeced them.  

50 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Hate to joke like this but it may be zach and a 5th round pick, get back a 7th all alone. 

Highly possible but not a bad deal if the recipient takes his $5.4mm salary.  

• Upvote 1

They will try to trade him.  I can see a team taking a late round flier on him at the beginning of free agency or after most of the quarterback chips have fallen.

If he doesn't get traded before or during the draft, they will release him.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

The contract is guaranteed so they don't get any relief from cutting him even post June 1

They have to trade him or he comes back 

Absolutely. Woody Nopecker is not going to release him. He will want something back in a trade or Zach is staying.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Cowboys gave up a 4th and took 2 years of Lance's salary, over $9mm.  The 49ers fleeced them.  

Highly possible but not a bad deal if the recipient takes his $5.4mm salary.  

Lance like wilson was a very high pick who a lot of teams liked with nfl like attributes, giving up a 4th for that kind of reclamation project is hardly getting fleeced.  The guy is 24 years old.  If he turns into a backup it is worth a 4th rounder.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lance like wilson was a very high pick who a lot of teams liked with nfl like attributes, giving up a 4th for that kind of reclamation project is hardly getting fleeced.  The guy is 24 years old.  If he turns into a backup it is worth a 4th rounder.

Absolutely. Wait till we see what some of these career backups will get this offseason.

1 hour ago, Ghost420 said:

What if no1 wants to trade for him

Exactly. I have seen this happen before when a team has an asset they just want to rid themselves of. Zach is a distraction now. Even if Rodgers plays most of the season, Zach being on the team is going to be distraction if AR misses a few games. He needs to be off the team. 

• Upvote 2

Zach Wilson will be a Jet next season. Remember his last full game against the Texans? 27 for 36 300 yards and 2 TD's. Then against the Dolphins our offensive line didn't show up and it was a sack fest and Zach got injured. You can win games with Zach with even average O Line play. He's also buddies with Aaron Rodgers. The last thing the Jets want to do is release Zach and he prospers elsewhere. He's on contract for another year - unless the Jets get a really good offer for him I expect him back as the #2 QB with a late pick rookie as the #3. The Jets problems go way beyond Zach. Horrible offensive coaching and O line coaching. Non existent #2 and #3 receivers. Horrible offensive line. Poor play calling. It goes on. I expect him back but I could be wrong.

• Upvote 1