Is There any way Mekhi Becton is With Jets in 2024?

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I thought our GM said he wanted Huff, Davis and Becton to return next season.

and thats what every GM would say about any player when asked. This will be a believe it when you see it senario

I don’t like Becton as a person or player.  But I am not seeing a viable replacement for him.  
He is twittering his dislike for Keith Carter, but I would keep him at $1mm more than his best offer.  With a QB, this was a playoff team with Becton at LT.  If we wanted him gone we needed to lose to the Patriots. 

Becton, before the injury was playing at a nice level, after injury not so much. Since we're not in a position for either of the 2 top LT's this draft, I sit him down, and say if he wants to start at LT for the JETS in 2024, then he'd better get his mind right and working out this entire offseason to get his strength and quickness back. Let him sign a one year prove it deal is the only way I'm letting him anywhere near the LT position. Otherwise bye bye...

• 2 weeks later...

I had to revisit this thread.  I just wish we had better offensive coaching who taught guys like Becton and Zack.   If Becton leaves during free agency and goes to a coach like Bill Callahan I bet we will be creating a new thread about his pro bowl career.

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:36 PM, DoubleDown said:

All signs point to him being as good as gone.  But these are the Jets we are talking about.  Their actions seem to indicate they are hell bent on running it back almost exactly as is and thinking everything will magically be better.

This. And I think JD does not want to admit failure with Becton. He will probably re-sign him. JD might be worse than Idzik.

I think in all honesty there's a 50% chance he resigns with us.

I think Rodgers like's him and he does have talent.

Thing that has it iffy is the money. If he wants to get paid, I don't think we offer that. But we will likely offer him a chance to battle for a starting OT spot for a cheaper price.

At the end of the day... I see him signing elsewhere where he likely gets more and has an easier path to starting.

Becton was 1st in the NFL (last really) in sacks allowed and penalties.

2nd?  Andre Dillard, another JD pick when with the Eagles. 

We have zero leverage to get Becton to stay here even if we wanted him to stay.  I am not sure we want him to stay.   It makes no sense to tag him.

Huff's tag is closer to his value than Becton's is.  

I would offer him $1mm more than he would otherwise get in the market on a 1 year prove it deal.   I think that is reasonable.  he will start at RT and can move to LT is needed.  

Otherwise, we need to live without him.  

• Upvote 1

The one thing that has me thinking he might be back is the picture of Rodgers with the lineman in Vegas. Becton was in the back of that picture.

Zach won't be back and as far as I know, he wasn't with them. They have already moved on. Becton seems like he wants to play with Rodgers, so maybe a reunion is possible.

In a perfect world the Jets would just move on. But we all know the Jets world isn't perfect. Especially when it comes to the offensive line.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is the moment that made me say UH OH.

NFL Rookie Mekhi Becton Cops Massive 'Big Ticket' Chain, $400k Value!

I was fine with that, when he pointed to his knee and did the money sign after a gage where he only played as good as he should? Yeah sadly, it was it for me, too bad wanted to support him but makes it real hard to, 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’d consider it at RT for short money.

Draft a LT at 10 and have them both compete with Warren and Michell. 

This is what people don't get, it just depends on the money.   McGovern at 10 million, terrible.   But when he came back on a very team friendly deal, good value.   Someone else offers Mekhi 10 million, let him go and hopefully take the comp pick.   No one offers him anything good, come back for a lower value, prove it type deal.

• Upvote 3

On 1/10/2024 at 7:44 AM, 68JET11 said:

Becton, before the injury was playing at a nice level, after injury not so much. Since we're not in a position for either of the 2 top LT's this draft, I sit him down, and say if he wants to start at LT for the JETS in 2024, then he'd better get his mind right and working out this entire offseason to get his strength and quickness back. Let him sign a one year prove it deal is the only way I'm letting him anywhere near the LT position. Otherwise bye bye...

This is gold.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The one thing that has me thinking he might be back is the picture of Rodgers with the lineman in Vegas. Becton was in the back of that picture.

Zach won't be back and as far as I know, he wasn't with them. They have already moved on. Becton seems like he wants to play with Rodgers, so maybe a reunion is possible.

In a perfect world the Jets would just move on. But we all know the Jets world isn't perfect. Especially when it comes to the offensive line.

Picasso! 

Despite Becton's up-and-down season, teams are going to circle him as a target. Finally healthy, finally approached an offseason like a pro, he's the type of low risk high reward teams go for. Look at Andre Dillard last year: 3 years, $29 million ($13 million guaranteed). Someone will give him something similar, or just a one year guaranteed deal and convince themselves their coaches can get the most out of him. 

Becton has made it clear he wants to be back with Rodgers, and I think the Jets would have him back at the right price. That price is something like a 1-year, $5 million prove-it deal with no guaranteed starting job though. So is he really going to turn down bigger offers and an opportunity to go to a team/scheme that will be a better fit? I'm guessing no

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Despite Becton's up-and-down season, teams are going to circle him as a target. Finally healthy, finally approached an offseason like a pro, he's the type of low risk high reward teams go for. Look at Andre Dillard last year: 3 years, $29 million ($13 million guaranteed). Someone will give him something similar, or just a one year guaranteed deal and convince themselves their coaches can get the most out of him. 

Becton has made it clear he wants to be back with Rodgers, and I think the Jets would have him back at the right price. That price is something like a 1-year, $5 million prove-it deal with no guaranteed starting job though. So is he really going to turn down bigger offers and an opportunity to go to a team/scheme that will be a better fit? I'm guessing no

After his last season, who is handing him a starting job and a bag of cash? Maybe he'll get a few more bucks out of someone but any team would be nuts to bring him in as the unquestionable starter at LT.

Wherever he ends up, he's gonna have to fight for that starting job.

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Good for some other team.

If Douglas brings Becton back, he will be starting, regardless of performance on the field. Only injury will keep him off it. JD and Saleh are stubborn like that. They're more interested in proving their guy can eventually amount to something than winning games. They've proven that week in and week out for years now.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

let another team pay him.  even when healthy he's not a good pass blocker and is best suited at RT.  

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Look at Andre Dillard last year: 3 years, $29 million ($13 million guaranteed). Someone will give him something similar, or just a one year guaranteed deal and convince themselves their coaches can get the most out of him. 

This is key.  Dillard, another JD pick, was no great shakes in Phila either.  But the Titans took a chance on him.  Dillard was second in sacks allowed and penalties.....to Becton.

Someone will guarantee Becton $13mm.   The question is whether Becton takes less to try and do better next year.  He would be an idiot to turn down $10mm+ today. 

Another FAIL by JD.  He could have picked up 5th year and still had him compete for a job.  JD acts like he can just pick up LT off the street.  Let us see if he is right.  JD had to think he was not getting a starting T in this draft at the time when he passed up on the 5th year option.  Who was he planning on to be LT this upcoming season when he did that …Brown?  

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Another FAIL by JD.  He could have picked up 5th year and still had him compete for a job.  JD acts like he can just pick up LT off the street.  Let us see if he is right.  JD had to think he was not getting a starting T in this draft at the time when he passed up on the 5th year option.  Who was he planning on to be LT this upcoming season when he did that …Brown?  

I don't blame him for this. At the time Becton had two years of injury and didn't seem terribly invested in his career. If he remained injured or played like ass, the team would still be on the hook to pay him the $13mm fifth year. That's a lot of money on the line for potentially nothing at all.

4 hours ago, football guy said:

😂 You’ve got to kidding here, right?

There’s no way the Jets would offer their starting LT a 1 year $5 mil prove it deal, that’s ridiculous.
If they have any intention of keeping him, they’ll offer him at least double that… or they will just move on from Becton.

Say what you will about Joe Douglas, he’s a professional. He’s not going to insult a player or his agent with an offer like that.

I’m no fan of Mekhi Becton, but man, there’s a lot of stupidity in this thread.

The Jets have to rebuild almost their entire OL and the smooth brains here want to let the guy who started 16 of 17 games at tackle just walk? I was one of those who would’ve cut him last year, but after he showed he could stay healthy and in a semblance of shape this season, why would you let one of the only OL who showed up every week go?

His knee has another offseason to get stronger, and he’s not going to break the bank. We have nothing but garbage at the tackle position right now. Is Becton a star? Hardly, but we need competent players at 3-4 OL spots right now. At least he’s that.

Would you prefer someone like Bakhtiari who’s more brittle than even Becton is, a lot older, and will cost almost double the price? I think a lot of you knuckleheads would.

• Upvote 4