AVT to Left Tackle?

Before I explain, please note this is predicated on us missing out on both Alt and Fashanu.  If we are able to get either of those guys, that should probably be the pick.  That being said I believe both will be gone and putting AVT at LT is the best move overall for a lot of reasons.

1.  After Alt and Fashanu the next 5 or so OT prospects are either strictly RTs or very inexperienced to start day 1 on a Rogers led team.  

2.  There isnt much of a gap between these RT prospects so it gives us a lot of flexibility to move down or select a WR if we want. 

3.  There are no LT's available in free agency unless you want to risk Baktiari or over pay Jonah Williams and move him back to the left side.

4.  Guards are infinitely easier to find in the draft and in free agency.

5. We know that AVT can handle the position, at least for a season.

I understand that AVT has some physical limitations that will likely keep him from being an elite LT.  I also understand that the team moving him around so much probably contributed to his injuries and we need to stop doing that, but if we let him prepare all off season to play LT, I think he can easily hold down the spot for 2024 and then either stay there long term if he does very well or we can address LT in 2025 draft/FA or even take a LT prospect in the middle rounds and hope to develop them into a contributor in 2025 and beyond.

What this really does though is it allows JD to have flexibility in the draft, possibly recoup a pick and maybe build the interior of the OL with an elite player rather then forcing us to "reach" on a LT prospect that may not have the ceiling of an elite professional player.   Which of these groups would people prefer?  

Rookie LT (possibly playing on the left for the first time)
FA Guard
Tippman
AVT
Carter Warren

Or this group after a trade down to acquire a 2nd round pick:

AVT
FA Guard
Tippman
Troy Fautanu/Graham Barton/Zach Zinter (one of these guys would be selected later in the first or early 2nd)
Carter Warren

Along with the ability to take someone like JJ McCarthy to sit behind Rogers for a season.  Is that not significantly better for the organization in the long run?

The trade down scenario also allows us to possibly take a center prospect and play them or tippman at guard.  This is somewhat of an atypical plan but the saints actually did it when the took Cesar Ruiz from Michigan even though they had Eric McCoy at center.  Ruiz has played RG almost his entire career and serves as insurance at center which is an added plus that this scenario allows for.  There also seems to be a very low bust rate lately on centers while also providing value in the 2nd round.  Tippman, Creed Humphrey, and McCoy were all second round picks who have solidified the position for their teams. 

I get that a franchise LT is a great find and really helps an offense but its just so rare to find these guys outside of the top 5 or so (this draft notwithstanding as one of the 2 will probably last until 7 or so) that its simply not worth reaching when we already have a "mid tier LT" on our roster.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

47 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Before I explain, please note this is predicated on us missing out on both Alt and Fashanu.  If we are able to get either of those guys, that should probably be the pick.  That being said I believe both will be gone and putting AVT at LT is the best move overall for a lot of reasons.

1.  After Alt and Fashanu the next 5 or so OT prospects are either strictly RTs or very inexperienced to start day 1 on a Rogers led team.  

2.  There isnt much of a gap between these RT prospects so it gives us a lot of flexibility to move down or select a WR if we want. 

3.  There are no LT's available in free agency unless you want to risk Baktiari or over pay Jonah Williams and move him back to the left side.

4.  Guards are infinitely easier to find in the draft and in free agency.

5. We know that AVT can handle the position, at least for a season.

I understand that AVT has some physical limitations that will likely keep him from being an elite LT.  I also understand that the team moving him around so much probably contributed to his injuries and we need to stop doing that, but if we let him prepare all off season to play LT, I think he can easily hold down the spot for 2024 and then either stay there long term if he does very well or we can address LT in 2025 draft/FA or even take a LT prospect in the middle rounds and hope to develop them into a contributor in 2025 and beyond.

What this really does though is it allows JD to have flexibility in the draft, possibly recoup a pick and maybe build the interior of the OL with an elite player rather then forcing us to "reach" on a LT prospect that may not have the ceiling of an elite professional player.   Which of these groups would people prefer?  

Rookie LT (possibly playing on the left for the first time)
FA Guard
Tippman
AVT
Carter Warren

Or this group after a trade down to acquire a 2nd round pick:

AVT
FA Guard
Tippman
Troy Fautanu/Graham Barton/Zach Zinter (one of these guys would be selected later in the first or early 2nd)
Carter Warren

Along with the ability to take someone like JJ McCarthy to sit behind Rogers for a season.  Is that not significantly better for the organization in the long run?

The trade down scenario also allows us to possibly take a center prospect and play them or tippman at guard.  This is somewhat of an atypical plan but the saints actually did it when the took Cesar Ruiz from Michigan even though they had Eric McCoy at center.  Ruiz has played RG almost his entire career and serves as insurance at center which is an added plus that this scenario allows for.  There also seems to be a very low bust rate lately on centers while also providing value in the 2nd round.  Tippman, Creed Humphrey, and McCoy were all second round picks who have solidified the position for their teams. 

I get that a franchise LT is a great find and really helps an offense but its just so rare to find these guys outside of the top 5 or so (this draft notwithstanding as one of the 2 will probably last until 7 or so) that its simply not worth reaching when we already have a "mid tier LT" on our roster.

How about drafting penix and worrying so much about left tackle. I think I would leave AVT at left guard and then get one of the free agent tackles to hold down the spot for three seasons or so.  Draft a right tackle or top guard and wr.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

How about drafting penix and worrying so much about left tackle. I think I would leave AVT at left guard and then get one of the free agent tackles to hold down the spot for three seasons or so.  Draft a right tackle or top guard and wr.

who's the free agency left tackle you're targeting and why do they want to play for keith carter on the met life turf?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Terrible plan. Until further notice AVT is injury prone and shouldn't be relied upon to fill such an important position. At this point in time they should plan on AVT not being available next year and make plans based on that assumption

• Upvote 2

AVT has one leg, he’s closer to the knackers yard than Left Tackle.

knacker's yard

noun

BRITISH

unpunctuated: knackers yard

DATED

a place where old or injured animals are taken to be slaughtered.

a state or condition of being discarded or rejected as no longer useful or required.

"in 1989, the firm was ready for the knacker's yard"

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Unless an Adams or a Mike Evans or a Tee Higgins comes here, I think we're going Weaponz in Round 1 and hoping a knowledgable QB who can set the protections  (with a decent C) and get rid of the ball faster will upgrade the line play...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

AVT has one leg, he’s closer to the knackers yard than Left Tackle.

knacker's yard

noun

BRITISH

DATED

a state or condition of being discarded or rejected as no longer useful or required.

I like just about everything about this post.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Resign McGovern. Let him play C. 
Have Tipp and AVT at Guard. 
Draft a T. 
Let Warren or whatever other FA play the other spot. 

This could work, but I'd rather have Tipp at C and McGovern at G - although I think better G's can be had in free agency.

Also, don't rule out the Jets drafting a C. It is a deep C draft and having Tipp and the C compete for who plays C and who plays G.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, AZSOJ said:

He is a better guard then T.  he should be LG and stay there. 

The injury history and this past one (I didnt know he might not be ready week 1) are valid concerns but the fact that he is a better guard the tackle really isnt valid to me because OL is a sum of the parts exercise.  AVT may be a better guard but if the LT is much worse then it really doesnt matter.  My point is that its easier to upgrade IOL at the current time then it is LT so why not reduce the margin for error and simply put him at LT and build the other spots where you CAN find an elite player in the late first or second round?

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

knacker's yard

noun

BRITISH

DATED

AKA, the Jet's Practice Squad.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Everyone that's bailing on all prospects not named alt or fashanu in early January, I don't get you.

what other LT prospects are you looking at? The rest of the guys projected for the first round are RT and some of them are projected to move inside in the NFL.

I'm not excited about the idea of relying on a 3rd round or later rookie to protect Rodgers blind side.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Unless an Adams or a Mike Evans or a Tee Higgins comes here, I think we're going Weaponz in Round 1 and hoping a knowledgable QB who can set the protections  (with a decent C) and get rid of the ball faster will upgrade the line play...

I think it's a virtual lock that we take online. We have 1 starting lineman who is with a sh*t. Tippman....that's it. AVT is broken

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Avt is the likeable thinner Becton

always hurt

cant rely on him

jets would be wise to pretend he doesnt exist and an accordingly

He’s the perfect guy to cover the entire OL as a backup but given how there’s no starters, he won’t be in that role. The perfect 6th OL on a team.