Will JD mortgage the future in this year's draft?

4 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I see this as a definite possibility. Trading away future Number 1's and 2's in a desperate bid to save his job.  This is precisely why I don't want him or Saleh shot calling on draft day but we may be in cap and draft capital hell for a long time after this one.   

I actually think he is more likely to trade back from 10 to accumulate more draft picks. This assumes that there is nobody at 10 that Douglas loves and he can find a trading partner.

• Post of the Week 1

I honestly don't think so. I think he'll spend in free agency for sure but I don't see him giving up 2025 picks, nor do I think Woody Johnson will let him to be honest. I think JD is much more safe (not bulletproof but has the potential to survive this) than Saleh. I can absolutely see the team making the playoffs + getting smoked in the 1st round by a real playoff team + JD/Rodgers return and Saleh is fired.

I believe there was a report that said Woody was adamant about not giving up any 1st rounders for the Rodgers trade when it happened, which surprised me that Woody Johnson even knew what a first round pick was.

• Upvote 2

He may mortgage the future but not in the way you’re describing. I can see him trading down from 10 to get a second rounder and then possibly trading next years 1 and the 2 to get back into the first round to get players that would help the team immediately. I don’t see a scenario where we are trading valuable draft capital for vets with massive contracts but if JD can get say a top 3 or 4 WR prospect and a top 5ish o line prospect in this draft, I can see some future capital being spent to make the 2024 team better.

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He may mortgage the future but not in the way you’re describing. I can see him trading down from 10 to get a second rounder and then possibly trading next years 1 and the 2 to get back into the first round to get players that would help the team immediately. I don’t see a scenario where we are trading valuable draft capital for vets with massive contracts but if JD can get say a top 3 or 4 WR prospect and a top 5ish o line prospect in this draft, I can see some future capital being spent to make the 2024 team better.

If you’re trading next year’s 1, it has to be for a qb, otherwise it’s a waste.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you’re trading next year’s 1, it has to be for a qb, otherwise it’s a waste.  

For us fans maybe, for a staff and front office desperate to get the most out of Aaron Rodgers, it wouldn’t be. 

59 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Since he's scrambling for his life, he probably should.  Which is why keeping him and Saleh around was extra questionable.

How do you think JD explains that away in future job interviews?

It’s never going to happen.

3 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

How do you think JD explains that away in future job interviews?

It’s never going to happen.

Only way i can see this happening is if they take a qb at 10 and then use a pick in next year’s draft to get an OL.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I see this as a definite possibility. Trading away future Number 1's and 2's in a desperate bid to save his job.  This is precisely why I don't want him or Saleh shot calling on draft day but we may be in cap and draft capital hell for a long time after this one.   

If the right deal comes along I could see him doing that. For me it'd have to be for a 5+ year OT or a star WR.

I actually almost want us to trade our 1st. We outside of the Sauce, GW and JJ draft have missed on early picks. So I would feel more comfortable trading away for a proven player. Look at how useful Mac was for us last year for example.

• Upvote 1

As long as Rodgers stays healthy, Jets are going to win a solid amount of games this coming season. Rebuilding the QB room is also a no brainer and will help if AR goes down. JD is going to end up getting an extension. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, LockeJET said:

As long as Rodgers stays healthy, we are going to win a solid amount of games this coming season. Rebuilding the QB room is also a no brainer and will help if AR goes down. JD is going to end up getting an extension. 

Not sure how they think they’re ’rebuilding the qb room’ so easily this offseason.  Good backup qbs dominated the nfl last season and will be in demand.  Currently the jets have no 2nd rounder.  These are substantial challenges in obtaining even one quality qb worth having more than a year or two.  What’s unclear is if they’re seriously considering a qb in round 1, if they’re up for trading out of 10 and getting another day 2 pick and if they’re willing to invest a 2nd rounder on a penix or nix if they’re even available.  

I think:

a) this class is really strong at premium positions where the Jets need long-term help (OT, WR)

b) Douglas has very different boards than consensus at times

c) Douglas has shown a propensity to get aggressive when he feels a player is a really strong value (Jermaine Johnson, Alijah Vera-Tucker) 

So that being the case I could see him giving up future assets to get up into the late first or second to go get somebody.

But:

d) he's probably got his job on the line this year and so I'm not sure he'll have the autonomy to make that kind of a move

They miss having the second round pick this year, for sure. Under different circumstances I think this is actually a good year to use future capital to add a player because of the need-value-premium position mismatch. Trading down from 10 can help accomplish that two, but if you had a stable team situation I think both could be completely justifiable. Alas.

He already mortgaged the future with the Rodgers move.

The extent of further mortgaging will not be via draft capital it will be via dumb restructuring of contracts pushing more cap liability into the future.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I think:

a) this class is really strong at premium positions where the Jets need long-term help (OT, WR)

b) Douglas has very different boards than consensus at times

c) Douglas has shown a propensity to get aggressive when he feels a player is a really strong value (Jermaine Johnson, Alijah Vera-Tucker) 

So that being the case I could see him giving up future assets to get up into the late first or second to go get somebody.

But:

d) he's probably got his job on the line this year and so I'm not sure he'll have the autonomy to make that kind of a move

They miss having the second round pick this year, for sure. Under different circumstances I think this is actually a good year to use future capital to add a player because of the need-value-premium position mismatch. Trading down from 10 can help accomplish that two, but if you had a stable team situation I think both could be completely justifiable. Alas.

Right.  JD was pulling a Salesman saying that the draft is strong in positions we need (OL, WR, QB) but is it deep enough that we can still get these positions in the 3rd round?    It sounds like there's going to be a huge run on these 3 positions in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

As long as Rodgers stays healthy, Jets are going to win a solid amount of games this coming season. Rebuilding the QB room is also a no brainer and will help if AR goes down. JD is going to end up getting an extension. 

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Yup

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right.  JD was pulling a Salesman saying that the draft is strong in positions we need (OL, WR, QB) but is it deep enough that we can still get these positions in the 3rd round?    It sounds like there's going to be a huge run on these 3 positions in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Eventually there’s bound to be a scenario where he’s got a WR or a OT sitting somewhere between the late first and late second graded 20+ spots ahead of who’s picking and he’s going to get itchy.

Bowers at 10 (“we had him as one of our top five football players in this draft”) and a move back up to the late first for a tackle in the Mims/Guyton/Fuaga/Fautanu/Latham tier (“there was a scenario that we would have taken him at ten and we’ve been trying to move up for him since the mid teens”) just seems super Douglas-y.

• Upvote 1

I doubt it…unless a QB drops.  Then I can see him trading back into the first or second.

Douglas is who he has shown us he is.  He’s not going to overreact to outside noise.  Personally?  I think this mindset gets him fired.

Barring a miracle off-season I don’t see the Jets winning more than 10 games, even with Rodgers.  I’m not sure that ends the drought and even if it does, I don’t see him equipping the team with tools to make enough noise to save jobs.

6 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

It is possible, yes.  Hard to know.  They MUST have an OT in this draft.  There is nothing to be had in FA other than players we know that miss a lot of time.  They cant chance that.  There will be an OT on the board at # 10.  Fashanu or Fuaga.  Both are excellent prospects.   There are no other MUST HAVE players for the Jets in the draft, so I don't expect to see them move back into the first round with second first round pick by trading away more picks for next year.  We may see some dealing to get something in the second round, but I doubt it.  They MUST come away with a top OT and pick number 10 overall will give that to them.  

This has Panthers potential.    If JD trades next year’s 1 it could be at the top of the draft.  That will set the team back decades.  

JD will say that he would rather have a player this year and the Jets will be good and their pick will be low.  That is a trap.   This team is either 10-7 ish squeaking into the playoffs or 2-15.   The coaches and front office is voting the latter.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

This has Panthers potential.    If JD trades next year’s 1 it could be at the top of the draft.  That will set the team back decades.  

JD will say that he would rather have a player this year and the Jets will be good and their pick will be low.  That is a trap.   This team is either 10-7 ish squeaking into the playoffs or 2-15.   The coaches and front office is voting the latter.  

What if a qb makes it to 8 and they use a pick next year to get a qb?  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

What if a qb makes it to 8 and they use a pick next year to get a qb?  

If they think he could be the next qb and he is the backup in 2024, maybe they works 

It depends on what mortgaging the future means.  If it means trading away future draft picks, it’s doubtful.  Maybe for a blue chip vet.  What I think he will do is spend more in free agency and backload the contracts so they don’t hit until 2026 or so when their cap will be very low.  Of course this may mean they won’t be able to re-sign guys like sauce or gWilson or jj or hall.  But that’s the price they’ll need to pay to win now.  They’ll need those future draft picks to fill in for the players they may lose to free agency.

10 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

He should, but it depends on whether or not Woody will allow it.

11 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Doubtful

18 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

You mean the cheapest dude in the planet drafting you think wil jut change his stripes even though he has zero concern for his job and under no pressure....um not likely