Rumor: Cortland Sutton and Jerry Jeudy available for trade

Good points but gWilson really isn’t a number one receiver either.  So if they trade for Sutton they will have, in a sense, two number twos with Lazard being a three.  Not exactly a group that can take the top off but at least some heat will be pulled off of gWilson.
Why do you say Wilson isn't a #1?

Just now, bicketybam said:

Why do you say Wilson isn't a #1?

He’s not quite fast enough and doesn’t fight hard enough.  Don’t get me wrong.  He’s the best receiver on the jets and the most reliable but it’s not like he’s tyreek or Jerry rice or Fitzgerald or any number of true number one guys.

• More Ugh 1

He’s not quite fast enough and doesn’t fight hard enough.  Don’t get me wrong.  He’s the best receiver on the jets and the most reliable but it’s not like he’s tyreek or Jerry rice or Fitzgerald or any number of true number one guys.

So he's not the guy that led the league in receiving yards this year. He's not an all time legend receiver and he's not a sure fire hall of fame receiver like Fitzgerald. That doesn't mean he's not a WR1 in the league. And he had Zach Wilson throwing him the ball. Perspective.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wit said:

Trade a next years third or fourth. This year is too important to give up draft assets

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Or, if they are interested in drafting a QB in the 1st round this year, let them come up to the #10 slot and we move back to the #12 slot. Equal to a 4th round pick. And we can still draft an OT at #12. We get a #2 WR without giving up any draft assets (picks).

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Good points but gWilson really isn’t a number one receiver either.  So if they trade for Sutton they will have, in a sense, two number twos with Lazard being a three.  Not exactly a group that can take the top off but at least some heat will be pulled off of gWilson.

I disagree there. Wilson still hasn’t had a real chance to thrive with how bad the qb play has been. Rarely was he given opportunities to make the back shoulder catches, catch some 50/50 balls, to get thrown open. He was mostly used on slants, curls, and etc. simple catch and throw routes.  Rodgers isn’t what he used to be, maybe he won’t be what we expect either, but we can be certain Rodgers will attempt throws that allow Wilson to have a chance to make some plays. Wilson is a 1, it’s just a question is if he’s an elite 1 or just a pretty good 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Sutton is reliable, but lacks quickness.  Blocks well enough when he's motivated.

Reality check:  If Lazard awakens from his 2023 Rip Van Winkle impersonation, he's got a similar skill set and is on par with Sutton. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rbstern said:

Sutton is reliable, but lacks quickness.  Blocks well enough when he's motivated.

Reality check:  If Lazard awakens from his 2023 Rip Van Winkle impersonation, he's got a similar skill set and is on par with Sutton. 

Sutton had 10 TDs last year (tied for 4th best in nfl) with crap QB play. 

1 hour ago, rbstern said:

Skill set is similar but Sutton is at least a proven good #2 receiver. The track record is there. Sure it’s not the #1 WR we would like to pair with Garrett but the WR market is shrinking fast with guys like Higgins, evans and Pittman gone. And we need something viable who is quality. 

13 minutes ago, Barton said:

Skill set is similar but Sutton is at least a proven good #2 receiver. The track record is there. Sure it’s not the #1 WR we would like to pair with Garrett but the WR market is shrinking fast with guys like Higgins, evans and Pittman gone. And we need something viable who is quality. 

Yes.  Sutton is a poor man’s Tee Higgins.

Might be the best we can do.

I’ll take it.

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yes.  Sutton is a poor man’s Tee Higgins.

Might be the best we can do.

I’ll take it.

Sutton is a perfect big-bodied WR to pair with Garrett and if he is really avaiable for a 4th round pick, then he would be a steal at 2 years and $24 million left on his contract.  Its a no-brainer and would allow us to focus solely on OL in the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Sutton had 10 TDs last year (tied for 4th best in nfl) with crap QB play. 

As I implied, if you look at Lazard without 2023, his productivity is not substantially different than Sutton's.

It's an awful crapshoot, based on what we saw in 2023.  But if 2022 Lazard shows up, he's a legit #2.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jets and Redskins said:

Send are 10 for the 12 and Sutton. It's a two spot drop. We can get an OT at 12 and Sutton fills are WR spot.  We need another DT and back up Qb after would like to pick up Kris Jenkins JR.

That is equivalent to a late 3rd.  Since the price for Sutton is generally been stated as a 4th, that does not seem to be value. 

The Jets don’t seem to be in a position to be trading picks.

Douglas rounds 5-7 last year, plenty of receivers available. And took a back they didn’t need and isn’t a receiver, and a linebacker and a corner who weren’t on anyone’s draft boards. 

There seem to be personality/effort issues with Jeudy which is obviously the last thing in the universe this team needs right now. Not usually a “choir boys” guy but anyone we bring in to this dumpster fire needs to be a good locker room guy/team player.

Sutton you’d have to consider. He’s had injuries but has been a very good player when healthy and I can’t recall any personality issues with him.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, rbstern said:

As I implied, if you look at Lazard without 2023, his productivity is not substantially different than Sutton's.

It's an awful crapshoot, based on what we saw in 2023.  But if 2022 Lazard shows up, he's a legit #2.

Well, Sutton has done that with mostly bad QB play. Everything Lazard has produced has been with Rodgers — with crap QB play he was a healthy scratch disliked by the locker room.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, derp said:

I feel like they both have.

I'd like them to try to work something out with Mike Williams when the Chargers cut him. Think he's exactly what they need skill set wise and I like the idea of bringing in someone who's getting cut. Maybe able to negotiate at a better time. Think you can sell this as a potentially good situation to rebuild value and play a role similar to how he's had success across from a target monster with a quality QB who will take shots.

Bring all the talented injured guys who are getting cut on the cheap, hope for a 1/10,000 season where the Jets make up all their bad luck in one shot and everyone stays healthy, and have a nice clean tear down if/when the franchise collapses on itself like a dying star (again).

1/10,000?  At this point, doesn't that mean the odds are in our favor?

I hate the whole kowtowing to the HOF guy.  We have bent over backwards for Rodgers since he got here and it has literally bit us in the ass pretty much every time.  That being said, as far as WR go, I want to get guys that Rodgers will work with.  I recall reading articles about him hating, freezing out, and giving the silent treatment to guys like MVS when he was in GB.  OTOH, in 2023 camp I recall him glowing about Wilson and Brownlee and reading how they were working out his "complex hand signals" at the LOS. 

I want to know that whatever guys they bring in are going to work well with Rodgers because that is pretty much the only chance we will have.  Jeudy and Sutton are exactly the kind of guys that can either flourish with solid QB play or end up a useless waste of $14M sitting in his doghouse.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1/10,000?  At this point, doesn't that mean the odds are in our favor?

Haha, I wasn't sure what exactly the right number was to make the underlying point. Call it 1/999,999,999.

I think what I did not say explicitly but was getting at is this.

The franchise is absolutely, 100%, in win-now mode. The owner wants it, the GM and the head coach need it.

The roster, on the other hand, is not really. They've got limited financial and draft capital and needs at a bunch of premium positions.

I think the marrying idea there is that they need to make risky moves. They're not going to be able to bring in players with a high probability of working out and have enough capital to fill all their needs. It'll need to be high ceiling/high floor reclamation projects and a hope that they run unbelievably hot.

But just trying to hit singles in the draft and FA won't leave the team with championship upside.

Of course from a fan perspective the absolute worst case scenario would be the idea that Woody would re-up Douglas and Saleh for a wild card bouncing and that lets Douglas play it conservative. I unfortunately don't think that's terribly unrealistic.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, derp said:

Haha, I wasn't sure what exactly the right number was to make the underlying point. Call it 1/999,999,999.

I think what I did not say explicitly but was getting at is this.

The franchise is absolutely, 100%, in win-now mode. The owner wants it, the GM and the head coach need it.

The roster, on the other hand, is not really. They've got limited financial and draft capital and needs at a bunch of premium positions.

I think the marrying idea there is that they need to make risky moves. They're not going to be able to bring in players with a high probability of working out and have enough capital to fill all their needs. It'll need to be high ceiling/high floor reclamation projects and a hope that they run unbelievably hot.

But just trying to hit singles in the draft and FA won't leave the team with championship upside.

Of course from a fan perspective the absolute worst case scenario would be the idea that Woody would re-up Douglas and Saleh for a wild card bouncing and that lets Douglas play it conservative. I unfortunately don't think that's terribly unrealistic.

I'm not sure what I want.  I want to "go for it" and I have a pretty good idea that they should.  Still, I prefer to build for sustained success.  I am not really in love with following the Rams model.  We are getting to the point where I think we might have to.  The real issue is that even if things work, it seems like the offense will fall apart (again) without Rodgers, so I don't see sustained success in the cards.  Maybe with an actual super bowl win, these coaches will start getting the kind of respect that lets that happen, but I just don't see it on the offensive side of the ball.

18 hours ago, rangerous said:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not sure what I want.  I want to "go for it" and I have a pretty good idea that they should.  Still, I prefer to build for sustained success.  I am not really in love with following the Rams model.  We are getting to the point where I think we might have to.  The real issue is that even if things work, it seems like the offense will fall apart (again) without Rodgers, so I don't see sustained success in the cards.  Maybe with an actual super bowl win, these coaches will start getting the kind of respect that lets that happen, but I just don't see it on the offensive side of the ball.

I think the most prudent thing for them to do would be to tear it down and chip away at premium position pieces, but there's just no way that's happening given the motivations of the owner, GM, HC, and QB. If they're not tearing it down, the worst thing I think they can do is trick themselves into thinking that younger developing players on medium term contracts where you pay a premium for theoretical upside are a good decision for this team at this stage.

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They wouldn't do it, but I'd take both.

Garrett Wilson/Courtland Suton/Jerry Jeudy/Xavier Gipson/Allen Lazard/Jason Brownlee

Then spend the rest of the off season on the offensive side of the ball focusing on the O-Line.

$28M for receivers that have already failed in this system?  I don't think there will be any money left to focus on the O-line.

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

$28M for receivers that have already failed in this system?  I don't think there will be any money left to focus on the O-line.

I do think they would be a lot better with Rodgers but I forgot Sutton signed an extension with the Broncos. That's too much money. You're right.

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Remember that Sutton will cost a pick plus $14M.  I think Jeudy is on the option and close to $13M.  These guys are not cheap.

His contract isn’t that bad, especially when you compare it to what other WRs are getting paid/ going to be paid this upcoming FA period. 

21 minutes ago, K Clue said:

His contract isn’t that bad, especially when you compare it to what other WRs are getting paid/ going to be paid this upcoming FA period. 

Neither of them are that bad, but they are not that good either.  $14M is not a ton for a starting caliber WR, but it also is not the kind of money that you just throw at the wall and hope it sticks.  A better expenditure risk than Cook for sure, but I don't think they have that much wiggle room to **** with while they need to fill 3 starting slots on the OL, a WR, a S and DT.

FWIW, if anything Sutton had a worse year than Jeudy under Hackett.  9 more targets, for 3 less receptions, 150 less yards and 6 fewer TDs.  Jeudy has been a disappointment, but that was probably his best year.

8 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, Sutton has done that with mostly bad QB play. Everything Lazard has produced has been with Rodgers — with crap QB play he was a healthy scratch disliked by the locker room.

Yeah, too many other variables.  Play calling, strength of schedule, scheme, coaching,  etc.

And I'm not willing to pretend I know what the locker room's opinion is.  On anything.