Tua Absent From Off-season Activities - Contract. Update: Tua Growing Impatient

It’s not a story until he unfollows them on instagram in July. 

first OTA is probably next week for them. 

The cap isn’t real so just give him what he wants 😜

• Haha 2

i hope they give him that 50 mil per year and sit back and watch them trade Hill now because they cant afford to pay him. that contract will sink the Dolphins. I LOVE IT!!!!! F@##$ Miami.

• Upvote 1

Miami needs to offer Tua $45mm/year.  He is not carrying a team on his own.  If Tua does not want that, they should let him walk.   The going rate for veteran QBs on Contracts 3+ who can get the job done is in the $40-$45mm range.  

Goff and Josh Allen got paid enough to really stress the rest of their teams without necessarily the ability to carry them.  

I do think in today’s NFL we are not going to see teams like the 49ers of old who blew the thing up because they just missed making the Super Bowl.  If a team has a QB/HC who can win games and make the playoffs, like the Cowboys of recent years, they will pay and keep Prescott and McCarthy around.  Everyone knows those guys are not winning the Super Bowl-but they win enough games to fill the Star.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How can tua manage a nice playoff run when hes never won a playoff game?

He could not put up more than 7 points in the playoffs last year.

As I said... perhaps a better team performance? They matched the chiefs, their defense beat up everyone and won the super bowl. Again, you are acting as if wins are a QB stat. Was Matt Stafford garbage until he went to the rams and became magically great? Kirk Cousins has 1 playoff win. Justin Herbet is 0-1 in the playoffs, hopefully we agree he is a better QB than Tua but he has had no more success than Tua. Maybe there is more to the story? ...

This dolphins team has obviously been over hyped. Their bad record against good teams last year is down to a lot more than Tua. I'm not even arguing he's great - just that he is an NFL quality starter and deserves to get paid like one

38 minutes ago, varjet said:

Miami needs to offer Tua $45mm/year.  He is not carrying a team on his own.  If Tua does not want that, they should let him walk.   The going rate for veteran QBs on Contracts 3+ who can get the job done is in the $40-$45mm range.  

Goff and Josh Allen got paid enough to really stress the rest of their teams without necessarily the ability to carry them.  

I do think in today’s NFL we are not going to see teams like the 49ers of old who blew the thing up because they just missed making the Super Bowl.  If a team has a QB/HC who can win games and make the playoffs, like the Cowboys of recent years, they will pay and keep Prescott and McCarthy around.  Everyone knows those guys are not winning the Super Bowl-but they win enough games to fill the Star.  

I agree with most of what you said, particularly on QB contracts / cap hits. However, I don't think it's totally unlikely that certain teams move on from entrenched starters when it feels like they just don't have super bowl upside. Goff, Cousins, Russ, and others have moved teams between years recently, and in each situation it felt like the player lacked superbowl upside at that point. I could actually see Dallas moving on after next year if results don't improve, too. I do think that this will continue to mainly apply to older, 2nd/3rd contract QBs though. You don't dump a younger guy like Tua unless there's serious concerns (Deshaun Watson?). QBs who can lead a team into the playoffs during their rookie contract probably deserve at least 1 extension. 

As they say - insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting new results. Jerry Jones might just be losing it, but league wide I don't think Dak type situations will increase in frequency. And to be fair - is Dallas just cursed nowadays? My Texas cousins might say so lol

Has Tua won a playoff game yet?  The doltfins got to the playoffs the past two seasons and do have a better record with tua at qb but are there others who can do the same especially with waddle and tyreek as the wrs and a decent defense.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Now you've done it.  Just watch.   He will screw us out of playoffs on January 5th in Miami.  I swear on @T0mShane's life.

I am willing to make that sacrifice, if only for the unconscionable trolling I’d get to do in the small window before I croak. 

• Haha 2

There are some huge contracts being handed out for some not quite fantastic QBs. Can’t be a comfortable situation. Tua’s done a good job, but it’s hard to escape the idea that a lot of QBs could have similar success with McDaniel and those weapons. But if you don’t pay him you need to find one of those QBs, and then you find out it’s not so easy to find one. It’s a rock and a hard place, because paying Tua $45M/year (or more?) seems absolutely nuts to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let him play out his fifth year knowing they have the franchise tag available. Just to see if he can repeat that performance and stay healthy while doing it. Might cost them more, but it could also save them a lot. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, slats said:

There are some huge contracts being handed out for some not quite fantastic QBs. Can’t be a comfortable situation. Tua’s done a good job, but it’s hard to escape the idea that a lot of QBs could have similar success with McDaniel and those weapons. But if you don’t pay him you need to find one of those QBs, and then you find out it’s not so easy to find one. It’s a rock and a hard place, because paying Tua $45M/year (or more?) seems absolutely nuts to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let him play out his fifth year knowing they have the franchise tag available. Just to see if he can repeat that performance and stay healthy while doing it. Might cost them more, but it could also save them a lot. 

McDaniels seems like a refreshingly cool guy so I’ll feel bad for him if they hitch their wagon to Tua long-term. I get the appeal from the Dolphins standpoint—having a singles hitter who hits for a high average at QB will keep an administration employed for a long time—but there’s no way Tua is winning anything of consequence for them, and throwing the bag at him is a road to nowhere. Really surprised they didn’t try to sneak a draft pick in at QB this offseason. Seems the majority of the Shanahan tree guys never learn with these middling QBs, even though McVay showed them the roadmap with Stafford. 

With his injury history esp concussions you'd think hard for their org to financially commit to him long term. Not sure other teams would either. He's good not great so if he won't agree to short term at good annual money they should let him go. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tua-tagovailoa-contract-talks-dolphins-not-offering-deal-in-jared-goff-trevor-lawrence-ballpark-per-report/

Tua Tagovailoa admitted this spring that he's growing impatient over contract negotiations with the Miami Dolphins. One reason for the holdup on a potential long-term deal: The Dolphins have yet to offer the Pro Bowl quarterback a deal comparable to extensions recently signed by the Detroit Lions' Jared Goff and Jacksonville Jaguars' Trevor Lawrence, according to ESPN.

• Haha 3

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to Tua Absent From Off-season Activities - Contract. Update: Tua Growing Impatient

This is a tough situation for Miami. We are all aware that Tua is a limited QB with a ceiling, but he's also a good fit for McDaniel's offense and they can do worse. Feels like Miami doesn't have a choice but to pay him, but they will ultimately regret it. If they decide to play hardball and not pay him, it's back to the drawing board and they're back in QB limbo which is as we know... is never a good thing

• Upvote 2

On 5/17/2024 at 8:45 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

I think he's worth at least 70 million per.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tua-tagovailoa-has-been-mostly-absent-from-dolphins-activities-as-miami-qb-looks-for-big-next-contract/

Biggest Remaining Question Marks: Miami ...

(3:11)

The Miami Dolphins will begin team drills on Monday as part of their voluntary organized team activities, and it's unclear whether starting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa will be a part of them.

Tagovailoa has been absent for the large majority of voluntary offseason work since the Dolphins reported back April 15, sources close to the situation told CBS Sports. That is in stark contrast to his first four seasons in the league, when Tagovailoa was present for most of the voluntary work.

Sources believe his absence is related to his contract status. Tagovailoa, the fifth overall selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, is currently set to play the 2024 season on his fifth-year option, worth $23.171 million. The Alabama alumnus has hoped for a long-term contract extension with the Dolphins, but one has not materialized to date.

The going rate for today's NFL franchise quarterbacks is around the $50 million per year mark. Tagovailoa is scheduled to make less than half that in 2024 with no security beyond this season.

Get back to me when he's in Japan wearing a dress. @Raideraholic

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2024 at 9:33 AM, Mr. Rogers said:

If the phins have a question, it's got to be about the health side. 

That and the data shows he’s like a Ferrari in the warm weather/early months of the season, then turns into an ‘87 LeBaron in the 2nd half.  

I doubt Miami thinks you can realistically win a road outdoor playoff game with him.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That and the data shows he’s like a Ferrari in the warm weather/early months of the season, then turns into an ‘87 LeBaron in the 2nd half.  

I doubt Miami thinks you can realistically win a road outdoor playoff game with him.  

Pressure numbers are abominable and has zero mobility. Dolphins know he won’t be able to overcome the roster attrition that his contract will create. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2024 at 5:59 AM, KRL said:

Wouldn't want to be MIA because Tua doesn't have the physical skills to be
worth 50+ million.  In addition he's had multiple concussions and I believe
he's a product of McDaniel's offense and his WR's.  Good luck

I would not sign Tua long term. Period. It is a bit of a miracle he made it through last year healthy, I would make him play out his contract and use two tags.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2024 at 8:24 AM, T0mShane said:

McDaniels seems like a refreshingly cool guy so I’ll feel bad for him if they hitch their wagon to Tua long-term. I get the appeal from the Dolphins standpoint—having a singles hitter who hits for a high average at QB will keep an administration employed for a long time—but there’s no way Tua is winning anything of consequence for them, and throwing the bag at him is a road to nowhere. Really surprised they didn’t try to sneak a draft pick in at QB this offseason. Seems the majority of the Shanahan tree guys never learn with these middling QBs, even though McVay showed them the roadmap with Stafford. 

Couldn't agree more.  It svcks that he's the HC of Flipper.   Same with Mike White being the QB of Flipper.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Tua was about to be out of the nfl until McDaniels and Hill came along. Not to mention he is one hit away from retirement.

he is an nfl starting caliber qb and should be paid as one of the 32 best in the world, but no where near a top 10 highest paid.

Dolphins should offer tua 4 years 130 million and he should take it and run 

• Upvote 1

LOL Miami jumped the line to draft Tua, when they coulda stayed put and drafted Justin Herbert.

Miami needs to pull the rain tarp over Tua and call it a day.

Actually, seeing Miami with Tua and the 'Boys with Dak Prescott hold the line, going against 'crazy', is kinda refreshing. These QB contracts were/are getting out of hand. Brady took less many times so help field a better team, as did Aaron Rodgers when he came here. Some ppl get that paying ONE PLAYER $50-$60m per season makes it almost impossible to build a talented team with good depth.