Marvin Harrison Jr signs his rookie deal. What the hell is going on with Corley?

Why all the snarky responses? No, it’s not a huge deal, but as a fan of the team you wonder about things involving the team. It’s a totally legitimate question, and I’m curious about it too. Sheesh … some of you guys are just so snide.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Who is his agent ??? Some just work that way. 

Corley is represented by Revis, Revis, & Revis LLC. They're meeting Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson at some remote dinner, Rosco's I believe. All's good.

• Haha 1

It's way too early for a thread like this.  If he's still unsigned in mid July, it starts becoming a situation worth watching.

The fact that all of the Jets draft picks have signed except for Corley leads me to believe it's the player, not the team driving this situation.  Just hoping we can get through the summer without hearing about "offset language."

4 hours ago, slats said:

Corley’s the only rookie starter the Jets drafted this year and he feels the need to make sure he’s paid accordingly. And no offset language either, thank you very much!

Joey "Pretzelbender" D gets all the offset language! 

New York Jets Fan GIF

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Why hasn't Dua Lipa returned my calls yet?  I called my mom the same day and she picked up immediately.  WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?!

Now THAT'S a legit concern. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I remember reading somewhere (possibly Twitterx) that Corley's agent has aspirations to make him the highest paid 3rd rounder in NFL history - which shouldn't be too difficult, bearing in mind annual salary inflation and the fact that he was the first pick of the 3rd round...

Anyway, team Corley know that the Jets love Corley and had him rated significantly higher than the 65th overall player. They might be trying to squeeze something extra in terms of guarantees or offset language out of the Jets, as it's hard to see how they can increase the overall size of the contract on a rookie slotted deal.

In any case, Corley is participating in OTAs, and his deal will get done sooner or later, so I'm not too worried.

whos his agent Scott Boras? lol

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I remember reading somewhere (possibly Twitterx) that Corley's agent has aspirations to make him the highest paid 3rd rounder in NFL history - which shouldn't be too difficult, bearing in mind annual salary inflation and the fact that he was the first pick of the 3rd round...

Anyway, team Corley know that the Jets love Corley and had him rated significantly higher than the 65th overall player. They might be trying to squeeze something extra in terms of guarantees or offset language out of the Jets, as it's hard to see how they can increase the overall size of the contract on a rookie slotted deal.

In any case, Corley is participating in OTAs, and his deal will get done sooner or later, so I'm not too worried.

Salaries are slotted there is no negotiation on pay. Really the only thing to argue over is "offset language"

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Great, so Corley has some greedy, dickhead for an agent.  Thing can never happen the easy way or go smoothly for the Jets.  There always has to be some distraction, something that causes problems.

10 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Why all the snarky responses? No, it’s not a huge deal, but as a fan of the team you wonder about things involving the team. It’s a totally legitimate question, and I’m curious about it too. Sheesh … some of you guys are just so snide.

Exactly!  It's sad.  Some people have no ability to see any issue from another angle or from someone else's perspective, so if anyone differs, they're automatically wrong, and they feel they have to make a big deal out of it.  On message boards, we all need to learn to just pass by posts with which we disagree.

8 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

It's way too early for a thread like this.  If he's still unsigned in mid July, it starts becoming a situation worth watching.

The fact that all of the Jets draft picks have signed except for Corley leads me to believe it's the player, not the team driving this situation.  Just hoping we can get through the summer without hearing about "offset language."

No, it isn't.  Just because you think it's too early, doesn't mean that it is.  Obviously, some of us are wondering if there's a problem, and if so, what it is, and why Corley hasn't signed.  It's totally legitimate to wonder.  That doesn't mean that anyone is panicking or losing sleep over it.  Some of you wise asses really need to take a chill pill and just skip over posts with which you disagree.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Who cares? It doesn’t matter till training camp. No way a third round rookie contract is going to drag into camp. 

Obviously, a few of us care and are wondering why he hasn't signed.  It's typical Jets for something to throw a monkey wrench into the works just when things are looking up. Obviously, you haven't been a Jets fan for more than 10 minutes, or you'd know that.

12 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

People are desperate to find something to discuss, huh?

Just because someone created a thread doesn't mean that they're desperate.  There isn't that much to talk about at this point, and it's no skin off your nose, so why the attitude?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

Obviously, a few of us care and are wondering why he hasn't signed.  It's typical Jets for something to throw a monkey wrench into the works just when things are looking up. Obviously, you haven't been a Jets fan for more than 10 minutes, or you'd 

Frankly I’m surprised we have as many draft picks signed as we do at this early date, especially our first rounder. In this rookie wage scale system they have his salary already determined by slotting. I guarantee this is a none issue. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Frankly I’m surprised we have as many draft picks signed as we do at this early date, especially our first rounder. In this rookie wage scale system they have his salary already determined by slotting. I guarantee this is a none issue. 

It’s probably a non-issue, I agree. That doesn’t mean it’s not a legitimate thing to wonder about, or a legitimate discussion on a Jets discussion board. The people who need to “calm down” are the ones who are getting their panties in a bunch over this thread.

It all has to do with the living arrangements.  Apparently, Rodgers is an awful landlord and much needs to be resolved before Corley can even move in.  Oh those poor other 3rd round picks waiting to see what Corley gets in addition to the slotted salary!  Extra down pillows?  A new sofa because Rodgers old one has burn marks?  Yeppers... my curiosity as to the reasons for this are beyond words.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Vader said:

Corley hasn't done anything in this league yet. He shouldn't be penciled in as a starter either. Long way to go before Sept.

Neither has Gipson, and Gipson will be Corley's main competition for the Slot WR spot.  The Jets have made it clear that they're counting on Corley, as evidenced by how hard they tried to trade up for him into the 2nd round, how they were sweating it that they wouldn't get him, all the positive comments since, and Saleh focusing on Corley fixing his route running quickly.  IMO, it will be a major upset/surprise if Corley isn't the starter in game 1.

On 5/24/2024 at 10:11 AM, JustInFudge said:

Well, when you were Aaron Rodgers favorite WR in the draft and are invited to stay in his guest house, your price tag shoots way up!!!!

Either that or he spends so much time in the dark at Aaron’s place he can’t see the damn thing in the light to sign it anymore. Just turn the lights off. He will sign it, 

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2024 at 9:46 AM, Alka said:

You have to put things in context.  Every single one of our other 6 draft picks signed on the exact same day.  Corley is now weeks away from that date, and nothing has happened.  We have every right to question "why"?

How many 3rd round picks hold out? No idea why you are even a little concerned. Let alone why you are demanding answers when it's still May. 

On 5/24/2024 at 10:30 PM, JKlecko said:

Just because someone created a thread doesn't mean that they're desperate.  There isn't that much to talk about at this point, and it's no skin off your nose, so why the attitude?

Friend, you literally just said the same thing I did. Stop whining about the word choice