Tyron smith still got it- very impressive

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's almost like he's an all pro or something

Now if he can play more than five games-  it’s an even year .  Hasn’t done it the last two even years.     Still pretty impressive for a guy that old.    

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Can he stay healthy?

The question is, how many games can he stay healthy for?

Make no mistake - I'm not knocking the signing of Smith, for what we paid for him, I think it was a good move.

When he's on the field, he is still one of the most dominant LT's in the game today.

But the fact of the matter is, Tyron Smith hasn't started a full slate of regular season games since 2015, which was 9 seasons ago.

Tyron Smith Career Stats | NFL.com

That's why he was available in the first place.

The chances of him staying healthy for a full 17 games this season are almost 0.

I also believe that's why we drafted Fashanu in the 1st round, as insurance for if/when Tyron Smith gets hurt.

23 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Make no mistake - I'm not knocking the signing of Smith, for what we paid for him, I think it was a good move.

When he's on the field, he is still one of the most dominant LT's in the game today.

But the fact of the matter is, Tyron Smith hasn't started a full slate of regular season games since 2015, which was 9 seasons ago.

The chances of him staying healthy for a full 17 games this season are almost 0.

I also believe that's why we drafted Fashanu in the 1st round, as insurance for if/when Tyron Smith gets hurt.

He won't start all 17 because they will rest him after the Jets clinch the #1 seed with 2 games remaining. So 15 games and he will be well rested for that home playoff game. 

• Sympathy 2

52 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He won't start all 17 because they will rest him after the Jets clinch the #1 seed with 2 games remaining. So 15 games and he will be well rested for that home playoff game. 

I hope you're right.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Listen, are injuries a concern for Smith? Sure. Does he play a critical position protecting our 40yr old QB? Definitely. 

But this idea that the guy is made out of glass is a bit of an overreaction. 

Has he played a 'full slate of games'? No. But who has??? Players always get hurt and miss at least one, two or even three games. It is VERY rare that you get guys who never miss games in the NFL. Up until the 2020 season when he suffered a season ending injury, Smith missed AT MOST 3 games per season. Last year he missed 4 games. So yes, he's been banged up a lot in his career. He's suffered some bad injuries. But it seems like most people are assuming the guy won't make it past 5 games. 

I guess my point is- the guy SHOULD be able to get through at least 13 games based on his history. We shouldn't expect him to get hurt immediately. If he does get hurt right away, its an outlier. And we DO have a talented rookie backing him up. So theres always that. 

And sure, the Jets drafted Fashanu b/c Smith might get hurt. But they also drafted him b/c Smith is 33 (considered old) and on a one year deal. They needed a young franchise T. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

I guess my point is- the guy SHOULD be able to get through at least 13 games based on his history. We shouldn't expect him to get hurt immediately.

I wasn't implying that I think Smith will get hurt immediatey @PepPep, I was implying that I don't think he'll last the entire 17 game season.

If we get 13 good games out of him, I'd be thrilled.

Let's hope.

• Upvote 1