Becton?

Shelbyblue

Was just saying this in another thread.

I will say, the Falcons did manage some pressure inside tonight. But still, becton looked quite good. He might have just needed a change of scenery too though... Cause he was mentally weak here and never had as good linemates to cover for him.

Also insisted he was a tackle until free agency finally humbled him lol

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

Well somebody had to start the thread. Nobody on the Jets thought to put that 370 pounds inside?. Seems to be fairly decent in Philly.

Yeah. Guess this was his process. Needed time and a change of teams to grow up a bit and accept what he is and not what he thought he was. Not a legitimate NFL left tackle, not a legitimate NFL right tackle. He’s a really big dude to shove in the middle of the line between two solid players. Good luck to him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fixed!

He was a 400 lazy bum during his tenure with the Jets. Social media arguments with “I. Am. A. LT”, “Bust” t-shirts, workout videos that were a joke. Dysfunction paired with a dysfunctional team= problems

Give him time…. He’ll do or say something that the fans in Philly will get after him on… then he’ll go back to his childish ways, or get injured and dog rehab. It’s only been 2 games. 

I hope so. I hate him lol

I suspect someone on the eagles staff already told him right though, and drilled it into his fat head that his only chance to even cling to relevance is to do what they want from him. An injury sounds likely though given his past. 

• Upvote 2

agreed with everybody here.

Becton did not want to move from LT. he complained when we move him to RT because the LTs get paid more. or did the OP forget this?

Philly told him if he wanted to play for them, he was going to be a Guard. and since nobody wanted him as a Tackle he signed with them.

there is nothing we could do about it. its not our fault.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Becton was crap for us we had every right to cut ties with him. And I'd bet a good amount of money he fails this year. He quite frankly didn't look good yesterday IMO. And It's very likely he gets injured or benched at sometime this season.

Let's talk about what we do have. And our OL is grading out as a top 5 OL. So let's talk about that. Simpson and Smith have been great.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Also insisted he was a tackle until free agency finally humbled him lol

And there you have it. Becton with the Jets had a very inflated ego, and maybe one can understand why: 10th overall pick, anointed franchise LT, overnight millionaire. Free agency can absolutely humble a person.

• Upvote 2

As shocking as it is to see him playing fairly well at guard I just think that sometimes its just not the right fit for someone.  You can question our ability to develop someone like Becton but at the same time isnt that completely and totally cancelled out by someone like Quincy Williams?

I just dont think you can hit on every guy so yea, we will see the Demario Davis' and Bectons happen - lets just hope we can keep developing our own younger players.

• Upvote 1

For whatever reason, when a first round draft pick fails to meet expectations and maybe needs a position change, it is tough to do that on the team that drafted him.  I think at that point the parties just want to move on and try something different.  

The Jets would rather have John Simpson at G, and they already drafted AVT who they like.  They had no need to keep Becton around, and are already spending real $ at G.   Becton was not playing T on the Jets, and the Jets already appear to have a 2024 and 2025+ plan at T.  

• Upvote 2

While many others are spot on with their evaluations of Becton and the reasons it wouldn't have worked, there's another very important piece everyone seems to be forgetting: it was never even an option to consider.

For as bad as Becton was as an OT, he was still better than the non-existant trash behind him. So even if the coaches actually wanted to move him inside, and thought he could succeed there, they would be left with no one able to fill in at the position, making things only worse. Hell, that's exactly why were forced to move AVT outside on multiple occasions, the moment injuries began. The front office simply ensured Becton had to keep getting chances at OT. It was no different than the deliberate roster build to force Zach Wilson onto the field no matter how undeserved it was.

We'll still see whether this works out for Becton long term, but it was never even a consideration here.

I need to watch him play or catch some highlights because I'm still trying to figure out how you DO put a human that large inside on the o-line like that.  Does he Pull at all? I see him being IN the hole more than making a hole. The average NFL career is 4 years I think so, who knows?  Good for him I guess.

13 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

Well somebody had to start the thread. Nobody on the Jets thought to put that 370 pounds inside?. Seems to be fairly decent in Philly.

Becton was a jerk with the Jets.  He insisted on being a tackle, and needed to eat some humble pie to understand what the NFL really thought of him.  Unfortunately, he needed to become a free agent, and come to the realization that he needed to embrace a new position, which was a guard.  

He wasn't going to be a willing and happy camper with the Jets.  Reality set in, and now he is doing well with Philly.  I think he is on a 1 year deal, and needed to prove himself.  He is doing that, but it wasn't going to happen with the Jets.

7 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I hope so. I hate him lol

I suspect someone on the eagles staff already told him right though, and drilled it into his fat head that his only chance to even cling to relevance is to do what they want from him. An injury sounds likely though given his past. 

Mr. Rodgers preached love and respect and didn't hate anyone.  You're denigrating your namesake.  😉😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This — and only “A. LEFT. TACKLE.” at that..

And this.

Amazing the lack of “I told you so”s all those people who thought the smart move was to franchise tag Becton for 2024 - at some $21MM - last spring, only to see him max out at $4MM for a team that already had two starting tackles locked in.

He needed to see that none of the other 31 teams were buying the BS he was selling, because he’d convinced himself it was just the Jets keeping him from being the stud LT he was drafted to be.

He needed a slice of humble pie. Wasn't going to get that if Jets picked up the 5th. Sometimes, a change is necessary.

• Upvote 1