This is Not on Joe Douglas

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He ****ed up the Zach and Becton picks which led directly to where we are now

We thought past GM's screwed up by taking Geno and Sam.

I think it may be time we pump the brakes on writing off QB's that this team drafts and fails to develop.

• WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This is more on the coaching staff than the GM good teams with great coaches always adjust to weaknesses . What did our coaching staff do ? Nothing !!!

Remember when KC had a terrible defense ? So they built up the defense at the coast of the best WR in football who went to Miami making that WR room pretty pedestrian for a few years. But that defense stepped up !!  The offensive coaching staff meaning Andy Reid got creative even when their OL was in  shambles. When you fill holes in the NFL sometimes you create some this is not on the GM its 100% on a terrible coaching staff.

All you have to do is look at KC and even the Ravens which is the perfect example on how to cover up weaknesses. The one year they could not cover it up was when they lost the SB to the Eagles and the OL which was bad got exposed. This happens to all the good teams in the NFL and its easy to point to the GM but in reality Joe Douglas built a talented roster. Our coaching staff can't even get anything out of the stronger parts of our roster so no one should be surprised we can't help or change things up in the weak areas and the defensive line is a testament to that. Even in the year when KC had the bad OL they were able to adjust and with that bad OL they made it to the SB sure they have a great QB but even he could not overcome that bad OL play in the SB vs the Eagles.

This interim HC Jeff Ulbrick will not be around long and IMHO the Jets will retain Joe Douglas at the end of the year and the entire staff will be gone if they dont get on some kind of winning streak to save this season. Funny thing, they blitzed vs the Patriots then never really did it again, They also seemed to have figured out the offense with more motiong and misdirection and that went in the toilet as well sorry but thats coaching not Joe Douglas.

You're not wrong, but you're wasting your time.  People were in tears this offseason because a fifth-round pick wasn't going to make the roster (he did).  They think a GM should find five superstars in every draft.

Madden and Fantasy football did this.

• Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 1

Trading Darnold to draft Zack Wilson was a fireable offense in and of itself. He wanted his own guy at QB, and he flopped. Flopped with a lot more talent around him then Darnold ever had.
At the time, Darnold had done next to nothing and a decision was imminent on his option year. Darnold went on to be meh for the next several years until a hot 5-0 start this year. Would we (the fans) have accepted signing him to a sizable deal based on his record at that point in time?

Most of this board wanted Darnold gone, patience was mostly gone. The only reason the decision looks poorer in hindsight is due to Zach, not Darnold.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think it may be time we pump the brakes on writing off QB's that this team drafts and fails to develop.

Geno didn't become a starter again for a decade.   Were the Jets supposed to wait that out? Darnold sucked as well.   He sucked at his last 2 stops before Minnesota. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

The fact that the coaches suck (and presumably jd hired saleh), doesn’t mean the gm is absolved.  There’s enough evidence of that above.  

The ongoing problem is that whoever the gm is, he never hires a good coach so even if the gm drafts good players we don’t get the best out of them anyway, at least not on offense.  Look at carolina, they were right in assuming the jets couldn’t develop darnold properly, yet they couldn’t either and it took a better organization to do it.  

34 minutes ago, jamesr said:

At the time, Darnold had done next to nothing and a decision was imminent on his option year. Darnold went on to be meh for the next several years until a hot 5-0 start this year. Would we (the fans) have accepted signing him to a sizable deal based on his record at that point in time?

Most of this board wanted Darnold gone, patience was mostly gone. The only reason the decision looks poorer in hindsight is due to Zach, not Darnold.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Darnold did nothing, because Douglas did nothing to improve the talent base on offense. It was about Douglas all along wanting his guy at QB. If we kept Darnold, we could have traded down and rebuilt the core of the offense. It was a fatal error on the part of Douglas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

This is more on the coaching staff than the GM good teams with great coaches always adjust to weaknesses . What did our coaching staff do ? Nothing !!!

Remember when KC had a terrible defense ? So they built up the defense at the coast of the best WR in football who went to Miami making that WR room pretty pedestrian for a few years. But that defense stepped up !!  The offensive coaching staff meaning Andy Reid got creative even when their OL was in  shambles. When you fill holes in the NFL sometimes you create some this is not on the GM its 100% on a terrible coaching staff.

All you have to do is look at KC and even the Ravens which is the perfect example on how to cover up weaknesses. The one year they could not cover it up was when they lost the SB to the Eagles and the OL which was bad got exposed. This happens to all the good teams in the NFL and its easy to point to the GM but in reality Joe Douglas built a talented roster. Our coaching staff can't even get anything out of the stronger parts of our roster so no one should be surprised we can't help or change things up in the weak areas and the defensive line is a testament to that. Even in the year when KC had the bad OL they were able to adjust and with that bad OL they made it to the SB sure they have a great QB but even he could not overcome that bad OL play in the SB vs the Eagles.

This interim HC Jeff Ulbrick will not be around long and IMHO the Jets will retain Joe Douglas at the end of the year and the entire staff will be gone if they dont get on some kind of winning streak to save this season. Funny thing, they blitzed vs the Patriots then never really did it again, They also seemed to have figured out the offense with more motiong and misdirection and that went in the toilet as well sorry but thats coaching not Joe Douglas.

Yes it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

JD drafted epic bust Zach Wilson at 2….not his fault?
JD drafted epic bust Becton at 11….not his fault?
JD hired Robert Saleh. Not his fault?
JD massively downgraded the Dline this year with a stupid trade for JFM. Not his fault? 

JD failed to bring in a competent back up in 2023 which is prob why we miss the playoffs. Not his fault?
JD drafted Corley who he is keeping hidden in a closet an all in year. Not his fault? 

JD spent 2nd rounds picks in consecutive years on WRs. One was Moore the other Mimms. Not his fault?
JD drafted DE sensation Zuniga and RB sensation Perine with a 4th. Not his fault?
I could go on with some odd transactions as well. 

Listen he had a good 2022 draft. No one will deny that. However this year has exposed the Jets as a rotten culture with a lack lack luster attitude from this roster. We can’t all say “it starts at the top” and then just skip the GM of the football team who stood next to saleh for most of training camp practices etc. This team has no identity and I think JD has missed on alot of picks and acquisitions. Is he the worst GM in the league? No, but is he top 10? Not even close. He’s a mediocre GM who deserves to be fired if the Jets can’t make the playoffs. 

Most of these are completely overblown.

You want your Gm to hit on 30% of your draft picks, he has and has done decent at free agents.

Biggest issue is keeping salah

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

His biggest blunder was Saleh. It was obviously a mistake when Saleh took the nepo Mike LeFleur rather than the upstart Mike McDaniels from the 49ers. The guy was an unserious pretender.

I don’t fault him for Zach since he was the consensus guy and QBs are hard to predict. I do fault him for not taking a hardline stance on Rodgers and getting him for cheaper. I also fault him for keeping Saleh the last two offseasons. 

GMs make bad draft picks but should be able to balance out those picks through volume and free agency work. Douglas has done that but his commitment to Saleh sunk him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Let’s face reality here. After what Woody has done these last 3 weeks, there is nobody in the NFL worth a damn and that is even reasonably qualified who will ever come here. JD probably stays because you literally won’t be able to get anyone better. No one will take the call. 

• Upvote 1

If they miss the playoffs, which they have a 90% chance of doing, JD is gone.

GMs can make mistakes.  It’s the reluctance to move on from mistakes that has costed the team during JD’s time here.  You get rid of the players or bench them and move on to the next player.  You don’t let them keep playing and rely on them to magically turn it around, wasting away seasons doing so.

The Zach Wilson, Becton/Duane Brown situations were horrible.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He ****ed up the Zach and Becton picks which led directly to where we are now

after what we have witness these past 2 weeks you have to wonder how involved Woody was with picking Zach Wilson. 

we know he fired Saleh on his own without talking to anyone....

was heavy involved with getting Adams and Reddick here...

told Saleh he had to fire MLF...

you got to believe that he told JD to get Rodgers and Zach. 

• Post of the Week 1

I think the bulk of the blame is on the coaching staff and that Joe Douglas should actually be retained (honestly what other GM is going to want this job? Idzik 2.0 scenario this offseason).

However, Douglas hired Saleh and while plenty of good GMs miss on HCs, Douglas deserves his share of the blame here for hiring Saleh. But I don’t think that equals him losing his job.

We have a talented team, a team that can compete with most teams, but we have a culture and identity crisis. We need a coach who is going to come in here and say this is who we are, this is how we practice, these are our standards, we’ll adapt and adjust as needed but our core values will remain (practice hard, playing time is earned, etc.)

If you pair JD with a coach like that I think it would produce a consistent winner.

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Let’s face reality here. After what Woody has done these last 3 weeks, there is nobody in the NFL worth a damn and that is even reasonably qualified who will ever come here. JD probably stays because you literally won’t be able to get anyone better. No one will take the call. 

This is it right here. Douglas is a superior GM to anyone who we COULD potentially get in the offseason. Douglas would be an assistant GM and possibly even someone’s GM in a flash this offseason if he is not given a new deal here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Ehhhhh if Zach Wilson is playing mediocre football for the Rams in five years, he’d still have been a bad pick here. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is it right here. Douglas is a superior GM to anyone who we COULD potentially get in the offseason. Douglas would be an assistant GM and possibly even someone’s GM in a flash this offseason if he is not given a new deal here.

If you were JD, would you stay? You couldn’t pay him enough I would guess.

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

If you were JD, would you stay? You couldn’t pay him enough I would guess.

Yeah I would because the roster is built by me with the aging vets not tied to the books long-term.

I know with the right HC my roster that I built can win.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah I would because the roster is built by me with the aging vets not tied to the books long-term.

I know with the right HC my roster that I built can win.

Your logic is sound but I just don’t think you will ever be able to get that type of guy in here to be the  right guy because of Woody. It’s the ultimate Catch 22.😩

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, doitny said:

after what we have witness these past 2 weeks you have to wonder how involved Woody was with picking Zach Wilson. 

we know he fired Saleh on his own without talking to anyone....

was heavy involved with getting Adams and Reddick here...

told Saleh he had to fire MLF...

you got to believe that he told JD to get Rodgers and Zach. 

And yet the reports were that he was extremely frustrated at the end of last season because there was no contingency plan at quarterback following Rodgers' injury.  Woody surely wanted him picked, but I don't think he was forcing anyone to play him.

Douglas is mostly a figurehead but he certainly puts the draft board at least together and he’s not good at it. I’ve never heard him say anything remotely insightful that was football related. People here who watch the NFL and follow the draft id guess put just as much time if not more than he does. Hes  made a lot of money for not doing much. Hats off to him, he’s set for life. 

• Upvote 3