Is Morris Claiborne worth trading for?

A Jet from Oz

Would he be worth the risk? He's unhappy in Dallas.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11578003

IRVING, Texas -- Cornerback Morris Claiborne skipped the Dallas Cowboys' walk-through practice and angrily left the club's Valley Ranch training facility Tuesday after being informed that Orlando Scandrick was replacing him in the starting lineup, multiple sources said.

The Cowboys could fine Claiborne for missing the practice or conduct detrimental to the team. Claiborne has started two of the Cowboys' three games amid Scandrick's 2-game suspension to start the season.

Claiborne's demotion came a few hours after Jerry Jones said on his weekly radio show that the third-year cornerback had not been worth the sixth pick of the 2012 draft, which Dallas moved up to acquire.

"Is he what we had hoped for at this point when we drafted him with the sixth overall pick, giving up the [second-round] pick to go up to the sixth pick to get him? No," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan. "But he's going to be a good player."

On Sunday, Claiborne allowed five receptions for 108 yards and a 51-yard touchdown pass as the St. Louis Rams took a 21-0 second-quarter lead before the Cowboys rallied to win 34-31. He also gave up a 38-yard catch and was penalized once for defensive holding.

Still, he made two of the game's biggest plays on St. Louis' final possession.

He pressured St. Louis quarterback Austin Davis into an incompletion, when he perfectly executed a corner blitz. And two plays later, he made a leaping interception to clinch the victory.

It was the third interception of his career.

But coach Jason Garrett refused to endorse Claiborne as the starter Monday.

"We'll evaluate them and see who can play best," Garrett said. "We'll do that again this week and determine how we play guys all throughout our roster."

After the game, Claiborne said he "stunk it up."

"Not in my eyes," Claiborne said, when asked if the interception erased his struggles. "It seemed to do that with everybody else. Not in my eyes.

"I'm ready to go learn from this tape and get better from it. Like I told the DBs, no matter what the outcome is I can't go out and play like that. If we want to be the No. 1 defense in the league, on my end, I can't go out like that."

Scandrick, who took Claiborne's job last season, likely would've been the starter when the season began if he hadn't been suspended for two games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

The suspension was later reduced to two games after the league and the NFLPA agreed to a new policy.

Scandrick played well against the Rams, yielding just two catches for 25 yards. Scandrick started the game instead of Claiborne because of the formation St. Louis used.

Claiborne missed the entire preseason with knee and shoulder injuries.

Garrett has said he thinks Claiborne can be a good player.

"Mo was just in situations in (Sunday's) game where he was isolated by himself and they made good throws and catches against him," Garrett said. "His technique on each of those plays wasn't perfect and they had success for different reasons on each of those plays where he got beat, and he just needs to continue to learn and grow and develop as a player. "

Information from ESPN.com's Todd Archer and ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins was used in this report.

I'm a believer in sometimes a change of scenery does a player good he cant be any worse than what we already have.

Agree. Does Dallas play press man? Is Kiffin still D Coord? Doesn't he play more zone?

Edit: Marinelli is now D Coord. Still from Kiffin tree. Found this

Chicago played mostly zone in the two games I watched, which might not make guys like Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne happy. Kiffin was reluctant to play man coverage at times and Carr and Claiborne never really earned trust to play it more.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=dallascowboys&id=4724359&city=dallas&src=desktop

He played well as a rookie under Rob Ryan. I think the defense is a bad fit. Try to remember that Revis didnt do that great in that style of defense either. Its not a system meant for evry corner. I hope the Jets can somehow get him.

He did play press man at LSU. He was considered to be the best cover guy in his draft class, and the Cowboys have ruined many young players of his ilk before. I am not interested in giving up more than a 6th for him, but I would be very interested to see him play elsewhere...

Considering the way the Jets draft id give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for MC

We should get him.....if the value they want for him isnt extreme then idzik should trade for him absolutely.  Let AA go back to safety where we can benefit more from his solid tackling skills and let him fill in as CB as needed.  

But Idzik doesnt do sht like this so this whole thread unfortunately is a waste of everyone's time.

Claiborne is a bust. The reason he hasn't encountered nationwide scrutiny is because cornerbacks get a much longer leash early in their careers, but Dallas knows the deal with this one. The dude cannot play and is made of glass to boot.

So, they'll take a 7th

On Sunday, Claiborne allowed five receptions for 108 yards and a 51-yard touchdown pass as the St. Louis Rams took a 21-0 second-quarter lead before the Cowboys rallied to win 34-31. He also gave up a 38-yard catch and was penalized once for defensive holding.

I dunno guys, sounds like a perfect match. 

I'd prefer him over Philip Adams or whatever other scrub sits at the bottom of our depth chart. I feel like he's a better fit for our D. a change of scenery goes a long way also.

I agree -- no harm in bringing him in for a late round pick.  Hopefully he has more upside than a guy like Adams.  

I'd offer a 6th. He's about to be cut.

Our secondary is awful. Claiborne may not be as good as his 6th overall pick but he'd be a huge improvement for us

The Cowboys aren't cutting him, and they aren't taking a sixth round pick for him at this time. If the Jets think he's worth a sixth round pick after the season, they might do it then. That's when he'd be more likely to be close to the chopping block.

The Cowboys aren't cutting him, and they aren't taking a sixth round pick for him at this time. If the Jets think he's worth a sixth round pick after the season, they might do it then. That's when he'd be more likely to be close to the chopping block.

As another poster has stated, what about a 4th round pick now?

As another poster has stated, what about a 4th round pick now?

He could've shored up the CB position with money in the offseason, he chose not to. I just can't imagine Idzik trading one of his precious future picks mid-season, especially one as high as a fourth rounder. I also tend to think Clairborne is a bust, and not worth one.

He could've shored up the CB position with money in the offseason, he chose not to. I just can't imagine Idzik trading one of his precious future picks mid-season, especially one as high as a fourth rounder. I also tend to think Clairborne is a bust, and not worth one.

Good Point about Idzik, just thinking sometimes your have step out of your comfort zone. Clairborne may need a fresh start... As bad as the corner situtation is it may be worth a phone call.

Don't be so sure they won't try to move him then cut if he causes issues.

I would take a chance on him, but there is almost no way they keep this guy after walking out on the team.  We let go off our big CB addition for skipping out on the team, and we atleast had hope the guy would work out for us.  I think he's cut, and we can probably try to sign him since our secondary is weak, plays the coverage type he's used to from LSU, and did decent under Rob Ryan I believe.  I don't think the salary warrants his play nor his attitude, so I would rather just keep the picks.  Just because one year didn't work out, doesn't mean the next year has to follow the same recipe. 

Archived