F*cking Bevell

sourceworx

Be kinda strange if we were. I don't see why it absolutely has to be left out that the execution was a disaster. I don't care about the weird emotional attachments of the people who spent the last two weeks talking ludicrous sh*t about the Patriots while I was busy getting my money in good. It's not optimal but it was there. Lockette ran a lazy route and Wilson placed a bad ball.

Sure. That's my point. Everyone is at fault here. Execution matters. Plays matter. It all matters.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Carroll is saying that part of the strategy of calling for that pass play was to either score (obv) or run some time off the clock in the event that the play failed. But how much time can you run off when you call for a quick strike pass like that? 3 seconds? Then the clock is stopped again? So not worth it.

imo, cause lockette should've never had the opportunity to run a lazy route and lose the SB

It's gonna be door number three no matter what dude. You saw the game, they were going right for the weak link the whole time, both teams were. You're not going to get gifted a best on worst. You wanna attack their worst guy he's probably going to be on yours. Lockette, Kearse, new guy, it doesn't make that much of a difference. So Schneider can kiss the baby too for not having anybody who makes much of a difference in the red zone.

It's gonna be door number three no matter what dude. You saw the game, they were going right for the weak link the whole time, both teams were. You're not going to get gifted a best on worst. You wanna attack their worst guy he's probably going to be on yours. Lockette, Kearse, new guy, it doesn't make that much of a difference. So Schneider can kiss the baby too for not having anybody who makes much of a difference in the red zone.

You know who does make a difference in the red zone? Lynch or Wilson (with his feet)... Rather lose by Lynch fumbling then trying to hit a guy with 11 catches who inexplicably slows up to catch a ball on his inside shoulder in the middle of the field

You know who does make a difference in the red zone? Lynch or Wilson (with his feet)... Rather lose by Lynch fumbling then trying to hit a guy with 11 catches who inexplicably slows up to catch a ball on his inside shoulder in the middle of the field

I can try this a different way. Given the opportunity to perform multiple iterations, certainly it's clear that you don't do the same thing every time. It's equally clear that in this spot giving the ball to Lynch is what you're going to be doing a pretty huge majority of time in this scenario. That obviously doesn't translate perfectly to a world where you only get one shot, and while the inclination to be more straightforward as the stakes get higher is understandable it's also exploitable. That's not Crazy Pete. That's not anybody who wins the super bowl. You have to have a viable plan b when evidently the entire goddamned world is sitting on the fastball, which apparently the numbers say isn't as frequent or as successful a call there as one would have imagined. That honestly looked like a reasonable something else. A lot went into the outcome.

I can try this a different way. Given the opportunity to perform multiple iterations, certainly it's clear that you don't do the same thing every time. It's equally clear that in this spot giving the ball to Lynch is what you're going to be doing a pretty huge majority of time in this scenario. That obviously doesn't translate perfectly to a world where you only get one shot, and while the inclination to be more straightforward as the stakes get higher is understandable it's also exploitable. That's not Crazy Pete. That's not anybody who wins the super bowl. You have to have a viable plan b when evidently the entire goddamned world is sitting on the fastball, which apparently the numbers say isn't as frequent or as successful a call there as one would have imagined. That honestly looked like a reasonable something else. A lot went into the outcome.

Yes, I get your point, I just disagree

Pats D was gassed, Lynch gets in on 2nd down easily and today we would be mocking mumbles for not taking a TO at 40 secs

But didnt bevell prove how clever he was? Pats knew they would run, because it wouldve worked, so bevell did something no one would expect! Idiot

Question is...did he cost himself a shot to ever become a HC?  I don't remember him being interviewed for any of the five vacancies this season, and he may have gotten one or two last year when there were far more opening IIRC, but not sure.  Basically, this makes Mornhinweg's decision to kick off in overtime look like a pretty good move and he's still mocked for that.  Bevell's decision to pass up a super bowl win is infinitely worse.

Question is...did he cost himself a shot to ever become a HC?  I don't remember him being interviewed for any of the five vacancies this season, and he may have gotten one or two last year when there were far more opening IIRC, but not sure.  Basically, this makes Mornhinweg's decision to kick off in overtime look like a pretty good move and he's still mocked for that.  Bevell's decision to pass up a super bowl win is infinitely worse.

Bevell may be giving you fries with your burgers real soon

I assume yes for next few years anyways, unless Seahawks win 2 more in a row or something. Owners will know every presser (especially in ball buster markets) will be peppered with 2nd down pass questions FOREVER!!

Why isn't anybody crucifying him for the wasted timeouts?  I keep hearing how that was all coaching and discipline and the Jets were the only team that does such things.  The Seahawks started that drive with three timeouts.  They burned one to save themselves from a delay of game.  During a ******* hurry up!  I probably would have taken the penalty.  The timeout was more important than 5 yards IMO.  They burned the second because they were completely unprepared to run down and set up after the miracle/lucky catch.  If they had another timeout they could easily have run the ball multiple times down there.  As for whether the Pats would stop them, Collinsworth and the people I watched with were contemplating letting them score so the Pats could get the ball back. 

Don't even get me started on that moronic offsides.  That was no gimme.  It may be his specialty, but that fruit didn't have enough room to kneel down. 

It's the kind of thing that happens when you throw over the middle in a goal line situation - too much traffic in the middle of the field...defenders get missed.

To an inexperienced JAG receiver with only 11 catches on the season no less, in the biggest game of his life.  Just a new dimension of stupidity...  I think Linus (Peanuts Cartoon) summed it up best, when he stated; "I am never quite so stupid as when I'm being smart."

He can forget about becoming an NFL HC unless they go back to the Superbowl and win it.  Even that might not be enough... 

Agree. Those who say "can't fault him for throwing there." Yes maybe if you at least TRY THE BEST BACK IN FOOTBALL ONCE SINCE HE GOT 5 YARDS JUST THE PLAY BEFORE. If you insist on throwing, at least roll Wilson out he was hurting Pats with his legs for much of the game. Then he can run or just throw it out of bounds if no one is there. That play was absolutely a horrid call. Those quick slants anything can happen. Even a well throw ball, with those quick passes it could've deflected off a lineman or the receiver's hands and with so much traffic chances were high it would be picked. Just way too much risk for that point in the game imho.

An NFL team just handed $27 million dollars to a coach who went 4-12.

Yes, a coach, who when faced with a similar situation (get a yard and win or go home) gave it to his leading rusher and sealed the deal, got the win.  Bevell had a SB win staring him in the face and said "no thanks".

...when?

On the road, in the playoffs, against the Chargers.  The Jets needed one yard.  Hell, Rex could've punted and would have been right to do so.  However, it was the playoffs and a loss would have ended the season.  Rex sent in Thomas Jones to get the yard and win the game.  He knew what got him there and he stuck with it.  Bevell had a guy who led the league in TD's, had just plowed for five yards against a spent defense, and then thought he'd get cute. 

Defend Bevell all you want, and I understand it's tough to have  him make the worst call in sports history because you've been his number one fan for quite some time now.  Eventually we'll know if you were right about this one. 

One catastrophic iffy call doesn't erase the role he played in getting the team there two years straight.

I don't think it does either, nor do I think it should, but I don't think it's something an owner would completely dismiss.  I think what helps him more than anything here was Pete Carroll's willingness to take responsibility for it immediately before his name even came up.  Most fans probably have no idea who Bevell is, so it reduces the stink on him from the casual fans.  With what he's done in Seattle up until now, I'm surprised nobody brought him in for an interview.  I just can't figure out why.  If I  had to choose between Doug Marrone and Bevell, I take Bevell.

On the road, in the playoffs, against the Chargers. The Jets needed one yard. Hell, Rex could've punted and would have been right to do so. However, it was the playoffs and a loss would have ended the season. Rex sent in Thomas Jones to get the yard and win the game. He knew what got him there and he stuck with it. Bevell had a guy who led the league in TD's, had just plowed for five yards against a spent defense, and then thought he'd get cute.

Defend Bevell all you want, and I understand it's tough to have him make the worst call in sports history because you've been his number one fan for quite some time now. Eventually we'll know if you were right about this one.

No, I mean when did Rex interact with an offense?

I don't think it does either, nor do I think it should, but I don't think it's something an owner would completely dismiss.  I think what helps him more than anything here was Pete Carroll's willingness to take responsibility for it immediately before his name even came up.  Most fans probably have no idea who Bevell is, so it reduces the stink on him from the casual fans.  With what he's done in Seattle up until now, I'm surprised nobody brought him in for an interview.  I just can't figure out why.  If I  had to choose between Doug Marrone and Bevell, I take Bevell.

Marrone has actually been a head coach. And made poor teams better.

Bevell has never been a HC.

In choosing between the 2, if I had a gun to my head, I take the guy who has done it before.

No, I mean when did Rex interact with an offense?

Before that play, during his locker room speech after the win.  He said when he saw the down and distance he screamed "Where's TJ? get TJ in there" or something along those lines.  He had a shot to win a big game and stuck with how he got there...if Bevell had done the same, he would have given himself a much better shot at being interviewed for a HC gig next season.  He still may, and deservedly so.  If he doesn't, it'll be hard to imagine his SB screw up wasn't a contributor.

Marrone has actually been a head coach. And made poor teams better.

Bevell has never been a HC.

In choosing between the 2, if I had a gun to my head, I take the guy who has done it before.

All a matter of preference I suppose, but I think Bevell has managed to put up some impressive  numbers with not much to work with at WR and as I'd said in our previous discussions, I don't like Marrone all that much.  Even after the Jets did a 180 on him, there were several openings available.  I think SF and Atl had him in for one interview but no follow-up, and nobody wanted him as a HC or coordinator.  He ended up coaching the O-line in Jax.  But again, to each his own.

Before that play, during his locker room speech after the win. He said when he saw the down and distance he screamed "Where's TJ? get TJ in there" or something along those lines. He had a shot to win a big game and stuck with how he got there...if Bevell had done the same, he would have given himself a much better shot at being interviewed for a HC gig next season. He still may, and deservedly so. If he doesn't, it'll be hard to imagine his SB screw up wasn't a contributor.

I think you're just citing some Rex Ryan fan-fic you wrote in 2011.

An NFL team just handed $27 million dollars to a coach who went 4-12.

That was before your boy idzik ransacked the roster for example replacing both Revis and Cro with a 6th round safety and a career back up at CB. Not to mention that he couldn't find a better WR than David freaking nelson while saving Woody 25 million.  

Archived