Sheldon Richardson Suspended

Maxman

Just got this press release from the NY Jets:

Statement by an NFL Spokesperson

Sheldon Richardson of the New York Jets has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2015 regular season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

Richardson will be eligible to return to the Jets’ active roster on Monday, October 5 following the team’s October 4 game against the Miami Dolphins.

Richardson is eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games.

[Note: The NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse is posted on nflmedia.com.  From the home page, click on "Resources" and then "About the NFL."]

Statement by New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles

“This is disappointing for Sheldon and the team. We’re going to support Sheldon and welcome him back upon his return. We will keep moving forward with our preparations for the upcoming season.”

Statement by Sheldon Richardson

“I apologize for letting down my family, teammates, this organization and the fans. However, words aren't enough. This is something that can only be addressed by how I handle myself from this point on. I don't want this to take away from what the team is trying to accomplish. While I won't be there at the start of the regular season, I will do whatever I can to support my teammates until I'm able to return to the field.”

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this is why he didn't show for some camp?  More reps for Williams.  More ammo for Wilkerson.

I wonder if the team had any idea this might happen, making Williams even more of a no-brainer.

Maybe this is why he didn't show for some camp?  More reps for Williams.  More ammo for Wilkerson.

Yes, Williams moves right into the starting lineup, and Wilkerson can point to being more reliable -if not better- than Sheldon.

It's so easy to beat the NFL's drug testing program. I'm far more upset that he was stupid enough to get caught than I am about anything he might've been using.

Grow up Richardson!!!  You screwed yourself more than the team.  Because by having this

on your record and losing 4 games of production the team isn't going to rush into a new

contract on your behalf.  Good for Williams he'll get the opportunity to get more reps

I wonder if the team had any idea this might happen, making Williams even more of a no-brainer.

Williams really couldn't've been more of a no brainer. Best player in the draft at #6.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-pro-bowl-dt-sheldon-richardson-suspended-games-article-1.2279472?fafa&utm_content=bufferb9ba7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSports+Twitter

Daily News Says Weed:

Jets Pro Bowl DT Sheldon Richardson suspended first four games for violating NFL’s substance abuse policy  
Sheldon Richardson apologizes via the Jets following his four-game ban.

The Jets suffered a significant blow Thursday when the NFL announced that Pro Bowl defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson will be suspended without pay for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

Richardon was busted for marijuana use, a source told the Daily News.

“I apologize for letting down my family, teammates, this organization and the fans," Richardson said in a statement issued through the team. "However, words aren't enough. This is something that can only be addressed by how I handle myself from this point on. I don't want this to take away from what the team is trying to accomplish. While I won't be there at the start of the regular season, I will do whatever I can to support my teammates until I'm able to return to the field.”

Richardson, one of the key cogs in what is expected to be one of the league's best defenses, can practice with the team when training camp opens at the end of the month and participate in preseason games, but isn't eligible to return to the active roster in the regular season until Oct. 5 following the team's game against the Dolphins in London.

“This is disappointing for Sheldon and the team," Todd Bowles said in a statement issued by the team. "We’re going to support Sheldon and welcome him back upon his return. We will keep moving forward with our preparations for the upcoming season.”

The 24-year-old Richardson, who won the league's defensive rookie of the year honors in 2013, had a breakout season with eight sacks last year en route to his first Pro Bowl appearance.

Can he appeal this? I don't think he's ever been in the news before, so I feel like this punishment is a little harsh.

He can appeal but the drug policy's pretty clear, he's definitely failed more than one test

1 failure: entering into sub abuse program

2 failures: 2 game fine

3 failures: 4 game fine

4 failures: 4 game suspension

Yes, Williams moves right into the starting lineup, and Wilkerson can point to being more reliable -if not better- than Sheldon.

It's so easy to beat the NFL's drug testing program. I'm far more upset that he was stupid enough to get caught than I am about anything he might've been using.

Sheldon Richardson is among the stupidest humans walking the earth.

I do wonder though if the Jets had an idea this was coming. But no matter, we just plug in Leonard Williams and see what he does.

Doesn't affect Wilkerson's situation though in the immediate.

Yes, but it effects the Jets in the long term because if they can't count on a knucklehead like Richardson to stay on the field they need Mo wilk even more. Suspensions for weed are STUPID, but the players know the deal and know the penalties so there is no excuse. 

He can appeal but the drug policy's pretty clear, he's definitely failed more than one test

1 failure: entering into sub abuse program

2 failures: 2 game fine

3 failures: 4 game fine

4 failures: 4 game suspension

Wow, I thought it was only the second failed test that garners a suspension.  He's failed FOUR?

What a dumbass.

Archived