A reactionary pick from a Front Office that thinks there very close to Playoffs/Superbowl.

Shockwave

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to pretend to know more than the experts or what the future holds.  I like the pick from a pure need basis. Lee fills a big hole on the team and brings some much needed speed to the defense.

No reason to be pessimistic at this point. Glass half full, it's going to be fun watching Pryor, Lee, and Mauldin flying around on the field for years to come.

14 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Agree - This ride is either going to end with Playoff birth or our Front office being on the Hot seat after the season. There's no middle ground. 

Very interesting strategy from our team. That whole conventional get draft picks and build your team around a young QB/Young players is completely out the window. Bowles is certainly a-lot bigger voice then anyone thought. This isn't how the texans did things. This is how Parcells/Arians does it. 

No. Maccagnan said days ago he and Woody & Co are on the same page about not having to win it all this year. Don't expect any miracles that guys like Elway pull off.

16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets have (HAD) a major hole at linebacker and overall defensive speed. Darron Lee fills that need. He can come in and be our Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, or Deone Buccanon... That sounds reactionary to you?

How many times did we get beat by a running back embarrassing a linebacker? I can think of 2 games where that was a huge factor in us losing (Philly and first Buffalo game). This pick has been highly graded almost across the board.

Try reading through the entire first post before responding. This was mentioned as the reason for the pick specifically. Hence "reactionary".....

And comparing him to Luke Kuechly?

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

So your saying we should do something about our current set up of Geno (Last year of deal and sucks) being protected by Clady (Old/short deal) throwing to Marshall (32)? Besides Hackenberg they didn't even really look at a-lot of offensive guys with their visits. 

In our Front offices minds as outlined in this thread we are playing to win the Super Bowl this year. We will trade draft picks. We will sign the jarvis Jenkins of the world. We will spend every dollar of our cap. We will simply Franchise Mo and play it year to year. Its not conventional thinking for sure but its what there doing. 

Btw - Daron Lee isn't an OLB. That boy is not bending around the edge. As Bowles said hell be an ILB that covers RB's and some slot WR's. He'll Blitz occasionally when you think hes covering a WR/RB from the slot. Hell play QB contain. He's a situational speed guy. 

If we wanted an OLB to bend the edge and get the QB we would have drafted Noah Spence. 

I wanna be positive about this pick. I think there are ways to be positive about him, e.g., the boost in speed on defense is nice. But I'm also not looking forward to another year of talk about who we're going to draft to be a pass rusher on the outside. I'm kinda tired of having the same needs all the freakin time. Never have a QB, never have an outside pass rusher, no young weapons on offense, still holes on the O-Line, etc.

20 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

This would be inaccurate according to just about every GM/Scout/personal guy regarding the draft. Lee was a huge reach and no where close to the best player available on ANYONES board BUT the jets. You can check anyones board including former GM's and draft guys. 

This could be a great pick - but it was a need pick specific to this team. This was done because we didn't have the cash to sign speedy LB's this offseason because of the contracts handed out last year. 

You really need to check your facts, because most of what you're saying is flat-out wrong. Lee was projected to go 17 to  Atlanta by most of the mock drafts on nfl.com. So the "draft guys" as you call them had him going actually higher. Also, in your OP, how the hell were Wilson and Miliner "forced" picks. Once again, they were picked right around where they were projected to go in the draft. Yes, they both suck, but sh*t happens.

Now I will agree that picking defense seven years in a row is absolutely ridiculous. I also agree with you that the Jets seem to be once again caught in the mentality that they just need one or two extra pieces to be true contenders, and therefore aren't taking any risks with players with high upside who need more nurturing. I would have rather seen Lynch or Dockston taken with that pick.

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Try reading through the entire first post before responding. This was mentioned as the reason for the pick specifically. Hence "reactionary".....

And comparing him to Luke Kuechly?

Yes, size wise Lee and Kuechly are very similar (Kuechly is an inch or two taller and 5 pounds heavier). If he doesn't get pushed around at that size why is everybody assuming that Lee is going to get thrown all over the place?

25 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Don't hate the pick. And sexy has nothing to do with it.  He's a big safety who played well at the college level but will be beaten to a pulp at the pro level in my opinion. These tweener  sized guys are often overwhelmed in the NFL. Maybin comes to mind. 

Maybin was bigger then Lee and got killed by NFL lineman.  Lee certainly is going to be that Safety/LB combo. If thats the case its clear he was higher on the board at that position then Miles Jack/Craven.

6 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

I wanna be positive about this pick. I think there are ways to be positive about him, e.g., the boost in speed on defense is nice. But I'm also not looking forward to another year of talk about who we're going to draft to be a pass rusher on the outside. I'm kinda tired of having the same needs all the freakin time. Never have a QB, never have an outside pass rusher, no young weapons on offense, still holes on the O-Line, etc.

The Jets are playing for this year - So don't look for them to draft guys to develop for "The future". I would expect them to target a pass rusher in the second or third round as its a major need for this year. 

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Maybin was bigger then Lee and got killed by NFL lineman.  Lee certainly is going to be that Safety/LB combo. If thats the case its clear he was higher on the board at that position then Miles Jack/Craven.

To be fair, Bryan Thomas was a speedy tweener type that everyone was furious over drafting, but he wound up being a solid player for a long time. 

29 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

This would be inaccurate according to just about every GM/Scout/personal guy regarding the draft. Lee was a huge reach and no where close to the best player available on ANYONES board BUT the jets. You can check anyones board including former GM's and draft guys. 

This could be a great pick - but it was a need pick specific to this team. This was done because we didn't have the cash to sign speedy LB's this offseason because of the contracts handed out last year. 

First link I went to:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641197/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

Ranked 11, 8, 25, and 17 on all four draft guys' big boards.

Why is there so much hate for this pick? For me it looks like BPA that fills a need. Just heard the jets tried to trade up to get in front of the bills because they feared the bills would pick Lee.

I'm not sure how the players picked behind Lee would've been better for the Jets. WR, we have probably a top 5 duo so any WR is not going to have an immediate impact this season and jury is still out on Devin Smith.

DT? We had trouble finding playing time for Wilk, Sheldon, and Williams last season

CB? Maybe but a lot of depth on the roster

So Paxton Lynch. I am going to assume the FO feels better about Bryce Petty than a college QB who never been in a huddle, never been under center, and never done a five-step drop or seven-step drop according to Mayock. And just because a FO and coaching staff doesn't come out and rave about a player to the media, does not mean they dont think highly of that prospect. MAybe they just don't want to publicly praise a player and not have them work hard

and 1 pick does not make a draft

43 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Personally, I'd have preferred Treadwell, but holy hell you hens are annoying when you get to clucking. Lee's pSPARQ was 92nd percentile with a 1.4 z-score. This is precisely the pick that makes you all drop to your knees and open wide when Pete Carroll makes it.

Ugh you are probably right. Vilma was pretty awesome before his knee gave out, but I can't imagine this kid being him. For once I'd like a guy who scores touchdowns.

Vilma probably goes too 5 in 2016 I guess

5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Why is there so much hate for this pick? For me it looks like BPA that fills a need. Just heard the jets tried to trade up to get in front of the bills because they feared the bills would pick Lee.

I'm not sure how the players picked behind Lee would've been better for the Jets. WR, we have probably a top 5 duo so any WR is not going to have an immediate impact this season and jury is still out on Devin Smith.

DT? We had trouble finding playing time for Wilk, Sheldon, and Williams last season

CB? Maybe but a lot of depth on the roster

So Paxton Lynch. I am going to assume the FO feels better about Bryce Petty than a college QB who never been in a huddle, never been under center, and never done a five-step drop or seven-step drop according to Mayock. And just because a FO and coaching staff doesn't come out and rave about a player to the media, does not mean they dont think highly of that prospect. MAybe they just don't want to publicly praise a player and not have them work hard

and 1 pick does not make a draft

I think it's due to the fact that the Jets always draft defense in the 1st round.

46 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets have (HAD) a major hole at linebacker and overall defensive speed. Darron Lee fills that need. He can come in and be our Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, or Deone Buccanon... That sounds reactionary to you?

How many times did we get beat by a running back embarrassing a linebacker? I can think of 2 games where that was a huge factor in us losing (Philly and first Buffalo game). This pick has been highly graded almost across the board.

With the addition of FA Bruce Carter and Darron Lee we have DRAMATICALLY increased our speed and athleticism at the LB position.  

46 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Report:

Lee had an excellent showing at the Combine, testing at or near the top in the 40 (4.47 seconds), vertical (35 1/2 inches), broad jump (11-1), three-cone (7.12 seconds) and 20-yard shuttle (4.20 seconds). The athletic, rangy Lee is versatile enough to drop back into coverage, attack ball carriers or blitz the QB. He may be considered a bit undersized, but he has the instincts and the tools to be a solid pro.

So, his upside is a "solid pro"

just doesn't seem like the 1st round pick I would be shooting for.  

1 hour ago, Jolot said:

How come the best player on our board is never offense ? 

defensive minded coaches, last year we had Gurley and passed, this year we passed on Lynch,

10 out of 11 years first round defense and we still have no outside pass rush, that is hard to do.

2 minutes ago, 77DRAFT said:

defensive minded coaches, last year we had Gurley and passed, this year we passed on Lynch,

10 out of 11 years first round defense and we still have no outside pass rush, that is hard to do.

Gurley had the knee injury though, and Leonard Williams had a hell of a rookie year. Cant blame Mac for taking the #1 player in the draft man

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Just need to point this out. We are not playing for next year. We are not building for the future. This team is being built with one goal.....Win it all this year. 

48 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

In our Front offices minds as outlined in this thread we are playing to win the Super Bowl this year. We will trade draft picks. We will sign the jarvis Jenkins of the world. We will spend every dollar of our cap. We will simply Franchise Mo and play it year to year. Its not conventional thinking for sure but its what there doing.  

You're 100% clueless. Stop barking thru your ass and read what Maccagnan said four days ago:

“In a perfect world, we’d like to potentially compete for the playoffs,” Maccagnan said, via the New York Daily News. “I don’t necessarily view that as a benchmark of success or failure. The goal is not to just sort of mortgage the future. We haven’t sort of leveraged everything to try to make one big run … and at the end of the day, have to try to tear it all down … It’s not like we feel like we have to go all-in and just do it this year.

Maccagnan’s confidence that he doesn’t need to win big this year explains why the team hasn’t rushed to meet Fitzpatrick’s contract demands and why they were open to trading up to the first pick in the draft before the Rams struck a deal with the Titans. One imagines he has that confidence because he knows what owner Woody Johnson’s expectations are for 2016 and, therefore, isn’t taking too big a risk with his job security.

18 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

There's a reason Mac is the GM is we are all just a bunch of shmucks thinking we know more than him and posting it on a message board.

Stop making sense; we don't like that around here. 

12 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

There's a reason Mac is the GM is we are all just a bunch of shmucks thinking we know more than him and posting it on a message board.

Yeah, it's because he positioned himself to have a career in football, whereas most of us did not.  This doesn't make him more astute, it just makes him better prepared to make judgements on players.  We have some very sharp minds on this board who probably, with the proper experience and lots of luck, could function as an NFL GM.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look, Lee seems like a nice kid and his numbers look swell. Great. Yippee. The point is, we drafted more defense. More. Defense. Over the past 10 drafts, the Jets have had 11 first round picks. 10, yes, 10, have been used on defense. That's the point. Our offense is old and it has no blue chip prospects at any position coming up to replace the guys that aren't going to be here after next season. That's bad. Really, really bad. OLB is a need, sure, but the entire other side of the ball needs players. The defense is in a totally different stratosphere when it comes to that aspect.

Think about that. 10 out of 11 picks, defense. In an offensive era to boot. Enough already with this.

thing is defense always wins SB's no matter what era. So there's that

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I Personally see a team one year removed from 4-12 and having the oldest roster in the NFL with many overpaid players on the wrong side of 30. Thats not what our Front office see's. 

When new general managers come in they usually have this vision of building a roster from the ground up. You see Cleveland grabbing extra picks. The same for Tennessee and others. Building their lines. Going out and grabbing a Franchise QB and then protecting/getting him weapons. 

Thats not what happened here. Since day 1 we have acquired every possible player, traded draft picks and spent every dollar imaginable. This offseason they went out there and picked up older players as backups and role players - Moves you see mostly contenders do. 

The Jets have been so reactionary every year - Not capable of looking forward and building. In pittsburgh our kicker sucked in a playoff game so we ruined an entire draft by getting Mike Nungent. Then we had terrible CB's one year and forced Kyle Wilson the following draft. Revis left and we forced the Milliner selection. Now after a season of watching teams throw often to their RB's on us we go and force a pick on Daron Lee. 

For those that don't follow the draft Daron Lee is a guy that likely played at 210-220 tops and probably gained some weight for the combine. He's not good enough at covering to be a cornerback and he will likely never be big enough to be a every down player against 300-350 pound Lineman. Also that 4.47 speed is really nothing special for his weight. So then what did we draft him for? He was specifically drafted to cover RB's out of the backfield. You know Darren Sproles in the Philly game? The Patriots games? He was brought here specifically to be a role player. He's obviously not big enough to cover Tight ends or rush the passer at 220. 

So who drafts role players? Teams that think there are VERY close to a championship. That is what this team thinks right now. Teams that think they are VERY close to a championship also are willing to spend 15m on one year of a Franchise player like Mo. They are the team that trades away draft picks - Not acquiring them. A team that couldn't care less about comp picks because they are not significant anyway right?

Is this a good thing? Possibly depending how you look at it. Who wouldn't want to try to get into the playoffs every single year. Especially now with Brady out for 4 games. With a team this old is there any other option? This could absolutely work out - So I don't mean to knock it. Just need to point this out. We are not playing for next year. We are not building for the future. This team is being built with one goal.....Win it all this year. 

And If we don't win the next year or two? We will simply have a new GM in here to "Rebuild". While this thought process is rare with new Gm's it absolutely might turn out to be a good thing. Lets wait and see. 

I have said it before and Ill say it again. The coaching tree here all along is Bill Parcells and Bruce Arians. Veteran QB's - Veteran Teams - You play every year to win for better or worse. The question will be can we find our Vinny? Can we find our Carson Palmer? The Jets need alot of help to be the Cardinals or any of Parcells old teams. 

I'll have to say that I dont know much about Lee. I havent looked his direction throughout the offseason. I watched two games on draft breakdown and it wasnt like I was watching a guy who popped off of the screen. I will say that I only saw two games while still watching the draft. 

I love his speed, but I dont like his weight. This is the same problem that I had with Floyd. However, Macc made it clear that we were going to get faster and more athletic. I think Miles Jack would have fit the bill, but for the fact that I really know nothing on Lee I cant criticize the man, whether positively or negatively. 

I have to say that im not upset about the pick, probably because I was more concerned about the Jets forcing the issue and drafting Lynch. When we didnt draft him I felt relief about that rather than excitement for the actual pick. 

I simply dont know who Darron Lee is....but we will have all the time to look at college games and listen in at OTA's. I know one thing, if he's expecting to play the weak side and "seal the edge" he's going to need some weight. Either that or Mauldin will play that role. 

I dont have much of an opinion on the pick. Im hearing alot of good things online, but I tend to take that with a grain of salt. All of these guys are "the man" at this point so its hard to tell by twitter feeds and highlight vids. 

You are right though, it "depends on how we look at it" which will depend whether people like this pick or not. We'll have to see. 

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Jack or Lynch or one of the three WRs taken after our pick would all have been preferable in my opinion. This is a meh pick. Boo. 

Sucks when they draft someone that you have no clue about, doesn't it? Lol

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

You need to stop whining.  One stupid post was was more than enough

Good pick, could be viewed as best player available.  The thing about Lee is that he is a ILB that can rush the passer (14th highest pass rushing grade according to pff).  He is not a sure tackler (missed 12 of 72 attempts according to pff) and is not very good in coverage (ranked 73rd among linebackers and negative score in 2014, again, according to pff).  

Lee is athletic, smart, and competative.  He does not seem to have any off-field issues or any concern with durability.  

Would have preferred Jack but his injury must be worse than reported or teams don't want to take the chance.  Less upside with Lee but also less risk.  

45 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Good pick, could be viewed as best player available.  The thing about Lee is that he is a ILB that can rush the passer (14th highest pass rushing grade according to pff).  He is not a sure tackler (missed 12 of 72 attempts according to pff) and is not very good in coverage (ranked 73rd among linebackers and negative score in 2014, again, according to pff).  

Lee is athletic, smart, and competative.  He does not seem to have any off-field issues or any concern with durability.  

Would have preferred Jack but his injury must be worse than reported or teams don't want to take the chance.  Less upside with Lee but also less risk.  

Hmmm... sure tackler and good in coverage sound like 2 things you might want to have in a MLB.

A new position has been created in the league due to the pass-happy rules. Lee is a perfect fit for this position. The people hating on it I can only assume don't pay much attention to what D scheme we've been playing. 

I realise that a lot of the concern here is about drafting defense AGAIN.

However, what would we have done on offense, had we chosen to go that route?

• QB - if the FO thought Lynch was the guy he'd be a Jet ... I guess they didn't. No point drafting a guy you don't like just to fill a need
  • WR - I'd have been perfectly fine with a WR, have been wanting a top WR for many years, but how many starts would a WR get this year? Everyone would be shooting off about the guy not being a day 1 starter
  • TE - please ... imagine the outcry! :D 
  • OL - would have been fine with a tackle IF there was value; with the board as it was, OT here would have been a need reach. I'm watching for OL in Rd 2
  • RB - would have been a luxury pick with no outstanding value, IMHO

And for all the complaints about the number of 1st rounders on D ... bear in mind we don't have many of them left / performing. :-( 

Wilkerson - could be gone / last year

Wilson / Gholston / Coples - busts, gone

Milliner - heading for Bustville

Williams, Richardson, Pryor, Revis (though on his second time round) - that's all that's left. Hardly overdoing it on top talent.

5 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Yup - They said it after the season. Pretty much predicted this pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see another pick very similar to this in the next few rounds as that was there main goal this offseason even if its just situational guys. 

And, by the way, it's a very smart strategy.

For years we've had old, slow LB's who run out of gas late in the season.  Get some young guys in there with fresh legs who can make tackles in January for a change.  We've got enough beef up front to compete and we've got enough coverage out back to compete; it's the middle of the field that's been our soft spot; let's focus on that for once. 

SAR I

5 hours ago, Shockwave said:

The Jets are playing for this year - So don't look for them to draft guys to develop for "The future". I would expect them to target a pass rusher in the second or third round as its a major need for this year. 

I am behind here but I think this is the important point.

I do not believe Darron Lee will be a bust.  He is not Aaron Maybe-He will not be playing on the line.   The Jets have plenty of big guys to occupy blockers.  Darron Lee will play in the box, but in the back of the box.  He will cover RBs and TEs and shoot in to tackle RBs

He was the BPA available, but "BPA" i believe was defined as BPA for the 2016 season.  

Even great WRs generally take a year or so to develop.  The Jets have two solid receivers.  We could have used a 3rd, but Darron Lee helps more in 2016 than they do.

Paxton Lynch could end up to be another Ben or Flacco.  In fact, given that he was drafted by the Broncos  with Kubiak and Elway, I would virtually guarantee it.  

There were no OL worth taking in that spot.

Myles Jack was the better pick, but too risky.  He blew it.  He should have made sure that he knee was fine, and had another surgery instead of trying to trick people.  If he is there at 51, I would take him.  We need 2 LBs.d

Keeping Mo and paying him a one year franchise tender was also a win now move.

If they are doing this, the call now is to restructure contracts and split the difference with Fitz and sign him up.  Mortgage the future.

I have said this many times.  Woody is in the entertainment business.  He wants to fill seats and be relevant every year.  Did you see the new uniform display?  It has a 24 on it.  The Revis signing was also not a long-term move-it was a keep the fans happy today move.

Hopefully the rest of the picks have more of a long term component.  If they want a QB, BQBA with the 2nd pick is probably the call.  The pick works better with Fitz, as if there is no Fitz, Geno, Petty and rookie is a bit scary.

2016 will be interesting.

Archived