What do Jets have to lose by rushing Christian Hackenberg? Plenty

Gas2No99

r166751_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

With offseason practices set to begin in less than two weeks, the New York Jets are close to entering a quarterback labyrinth. They have three options, two agendas (short and long term) and one massive headache. There are no guarantees; each one could lead to a dead end.

Led by former Jets great Joe Namath, there seems to be growing support for Christian Hackenberg among media types and fans, but these aren't your typical endorsements. They're more like, "Play the kid right away. What do they have to lose?"

With apologies to Broadway Joe, whose opinion I respect, that would be the wrong approach. Here's why:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1226%2Fr166125_4

Christian Hackenberg will get his shot in 2017, but coach Todd Bowles needs to go with the quarterback that will win games. Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire

Hackenberg shouldn't be handed the position; he should have to earn it. He hasn't done anything in 12 months, except get picked in the second round. A quarterback selected that high usually gets a shot, but that sort of draft pedigree doesn't come with a certificate of entitlement.

Coach Todd Bowles wants to run a meritocracy -- the best players play -- and it would look bad if Hackenberg is starting over a better player. It would send a bad message on so many levels. The notion that Hackenberg should play from Day 1 because the Jets are doomed anyway is a ridiculous premise -- loser's logic. You'd be turning 2017 into a 16-game preseason, experimenting with personnel instead of trying to win.

Using my Herm Edwards voice ... you play to win the game.

Especially if you're Bowles, who needs to win some games to keep his job.

If Hackenberg outplays veteran Josh McCown in OTAs, goes into training camp as the No. 1 and doesn't implode in the preseason, he should be the starter, no question. If they play to a draw, the tie should go to the younger player with the upside. That's how it works in the NFL. Bryce Petty will get a chance, too, but he's a long shot.

The Jets would be thrilled if Hackenberg takes command of the quarterback competition and makes everybody forget about the jittery, wild-throwing rookie who completed 11 of 31 passes for 54 yards in the final preseason game last year. What are the chances of that happening? Slim. It could happen over time, but it's unrealistic to expect a player with no regular-season experience to improve that much that quickly.

"I'd like to see Hackenberg get in there because I think we need somebody for the future," Namath said the other night at a charity event in Manhattan.

Every fan would like to see Hackenberg because he's the mystery man, and the Jets' tortured fan base is desperate to wrap its arms around somebody. But Bowles' job is to win games, and that means playing the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win.

And that probably means McCown even though his recent track record (2-20 as a starter over the last three seasons) won't send currents of electricity through MetLife Stadium. But he's a good leader and he can function at the line of scrimmage, and those are important qualities when you're installing a new system and essentially starting over on offense. He's already taking charge, according to players.

Make no mistake: Hackenberg will get his shot in 2017. There will be plenty of time to evaluate him before deciding whether they need to draft another quarterback in 2018. But it's pointless to toss him out there for the sake of satisfying a curiosity.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

r166751_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

With offseason practices set to begin in less than two weeks, the New York Jets are close to entering a quarterback labyrinth. They have three options, two agendas (short and long term) and one massive headache. There are no guarantees; each one could lead to a dead end.

Led by former Jets great Joe Namath, there seems to be growing support for Christian Hackenberg among media types and fans, but these aren't your typical endorsements. They're more like, "Play the kid right away. What do they have to lose?"

With apologies to Broadway Joe, whose opinion I respect, that would be the wrong approach. Here's why:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1226%2Fr166125_4

Christian Hackenberg will get his shot in 2017, but coach Todd Bowles needs to go with the quarterback that will win games. Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire

Hackenberg shouldn't be handed the position; he should have to earn it. He hasn't done anything in 12 months, except get picked in the second round. A quarterback selected that high usually gets a shot, but that sort of draft pedigree doesn't come with a certificate of entitlement.

Coach Todd Bowles wants to run a meritocracy -- the best players play -- and it would look bad if Hackenberg is starting over a better player. It would send a bad message on so many levels. The notion that Hackenberg should play from Day 1 because the Jets are doomed anyway is a ridiculous premise -- loser's logic. You'd be turning 2017 into a 16-game preseason, experimenting with personnel instead of trying to win.

Using my Herm Edwards voice ... you play to win the game.

Especially if you're Bowles, who needs to win some games to keep his job.

If Hackenberg outplays veteran Josh McCown in OTAs, goes into training camp as the No. 1 and doesn't implode in the preseason, he should be the starter, no question. If they play to a draw, the tie should go to the younger player with the upside. That's how it works in the NFL. Bryce Petty will get a chance, too, but he's a long shot.

The Jets would be thrilled if Hackenberg takes command of the quarterback competition and makes everybody forget about the jittery, wild-throwing rookie who completed 11 of 31 passes for 54 yards in the final preseason game last year. What are the chances of that happening? Slim. It could happen over time, but it's unrealistic to expect a player with no regular-season experience to improve that much that quickly.

"I'd like to see Hackenberg get in there because I think we need somebody for the future," Namath said the other night at a charity event in Manhattan.

Every fan would like to see Hackenberg because he's the mystery man, and the Jets' tortured fan base is desperate to wrap its arms around somebody. But Bowles' job is to win games, and that means playing the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win.

And that probably means McCown even though his recent track record (2-20 as a starter over the last three seasons) won't send currents of electricity through MetLife Stadium. But he's a good leader and he can function at the line of scrimmage, and those are important qualities when you're installing a new system and essentially starting over on offense. He's already taking charge, according to players.

Make no mistake: Hackenberg will get his shot in 2017. There will be plenty of time to evaluate him before deciding whether they need to draft another quarterback in 2018. But it's pointless to toss him out there for the sake of satisfying a curiosity.

What a crap article. The jid's had a year to work on his game; the team used a premium draft pick to get him, and they don't have much of a selection at QB right now. Obviously make him earn it in camp, but seriously, is anyone excited at the prospect of Josh McCown starting? Is say we might as well play Hackenberg. If he sucks, then we'll draft someone in the 1st rd next year.

We don't have anybody on this whole _______ roster who can win a game with their talent.  What the hell is the good of holding Hackenberg back if he already sucks?!  I just don't get it.  This isn't a guy who is a sure thing.  This is a guy who shouldn't have been taken in the second round.

It's interesting the haters that want to tank for Darnold and are hoping he plays to secure that pick.

We don't know what we have in Hack but for sure we know what we have in McCown.

The tank brigade should be clamoring for McCown to start. He is 2-22 the past 3 years and is now a declining QB at the past prime age of 38. You think he will turn those fortunes around with a rebuilding team?

Be careful what you wish for wanting Hack to start it might bite you in the ass.

Personally I am not on the outrite tank bus and am hoping for Hack to start.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Of course Hack must earn it.

With that said, playing McCown does nothing for this franchise, long term or short term.

The competition for #1 QB should be between Hack and Petty only with McCown the designated pre-determined emergency QB only.

I say it's every time I post on this topic...expect McCown to start most of 2017. SOJ.

Of course Hack must earn it.
With that said, playing McCown does nothing for this franchise, long term or short term.
The competition for #1 QB should be between Hack and Petty only with McCown the designated pre-determined emergency QB only.
I say it's every time I post on this topic...expect McCown to start most of 2017. SOJ.

If the jets feel it's in the best interest to have a top pick in the draft yea I expect McCown to start most games. But agree one hundred percent with it makes no sense for him to start...he is here for a year no matter what and won't be back. What's the point of building chemistry with the receivers and taking valuable playing time from guys who will be here longer...even if they end up being the backup to whoever they may draft as a FQB next year.

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yeah what have we got to lose. If we don't play him, and play the 38 year of journey man. We could be basking in another 5-11 season.

Or Hack sucks, and Jets Draft Darnold. He's more worried we may get our selfs a real QB.

Yup, playing Mccown to scratch out 6 wins instead of 3 is just a really bad way to handle this year considering the talent level of this team and the QBs in next years draft class. Hack needs to start and either evolve into the next Big Ben or implode and deliver us Sam Darnold. Anything in between is a collossal failure and waste of a season. 

37 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Hack is going to throw so many touchdowns this year we're gonna get tired of touchdowns

"ahh geez....Hackenburg just threw anudder one...that udder team is gonna get pizzed pretty soon.  I feel so very sorry them"

We can argue whether using a Second Round Pick to draft Hack was the right move.

It would seem that most people would take the view that a low first round QB could need a year of seasoning, and a second pick a year plus.  But in any event, where Hack was picked is a sunk cost.  The question now is how you develop him and whether he can actually be made into a functioning QB.   If he needs another year of development, but they still believe he can be a functioning QB later, you let him develop.  Even if the right round to pick him was 3rd or below (like where developmental QBs got picked in 2017), forcing Hack to play now does not maximize the team or that asset-it potentially makes it worse.

But it will require some discipline for Bowles and Co to stick with that if it is the truth.

To me, the primary benefit to Hack is whether he can be a cheaper Glennon for the Jets in 2018 and 2019 while the Jets then draft and develop a true franchise QB.  Hey-maybe Hack surprises us.  Garoppolo sat on the bench two years and then played well when asked.  That would be the goal.  Then Hack can be extended, traded or franchised.  

But McCown's greatest contribution to his last few teams was to get them very high draft picks while providing semi-competent and entertaining QB play.  I don't think that was unnoticed by the Jets.

I also think this Evans guy is going to surprise-he will start the year on the PS and be on the 53 before the end.  Watch him beat Petty out.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All the best QB's need a minimum of 4 years before they're ready to see the field.  Everyone knows this. 

I think the Jets are hoping the tutelage of a one Josh McCown will have Hack ready by year 3 instead of 4.  Josh has an uphill battle correcting all the bad tutelage provided by a one Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

The Jets have to see what Hackenberg has at some point, as this is the NFL and you can't keep throwing away years hoping he's going to be an answer.  ( you need to know one way or the other)     The Jets FO doesn't have the luxury of waiting for Hackenberg , as they might not be around when Hackenberg might be ready.     

A new guy calling the shots, and they tend to want to bring in their own guy, not the previous guys choice.      No I don't expect Hackenberg to be the Jets starter to open the season, but at some point next year he will become their starter.

hackenberg doesn't make it to the field next season, you might as well cut him.

46 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Jets have to see what Hackenberg has at some point, as this is the NFL and you can't keep throwing away years hoping he's going to be an answer.  ( you need to know one way or the other)     The Jets FO doesn't have the luxury of waiting for Hackenberg , as they might not be around when Hackenberg might be ready.     

A new guy calling the shots, and they tend to want to bring in their own guy, not the previous guys choice.      No I don't expect Hackenberg to be the Jets starter to open the season, but at some point next year he will become their starter.

hackenberg doesn't make it to the field next season, you might as well cut him.

At some point he may be raw enough where he can be stored on the practice squash.  In the NFL these days teams do not want developmental QBs on the 53.    Saints put Grayson on the PS for a bit-he was a third round pick, before Petty.

Given what people know about him now, in retrospect he was clearly a lower pick than what he was.  Whether he is hopeless is another story.  

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Crazy idea: the reason he hasn't played yet isn't because he's "redshirting" or "developing" or whatever dumbass term of art you want to use. It's because he's ******* terrible.

He was terrible last year, I think that is clear.  Petty was ******* terrible his first year.  He actually was not ******* terrible last year when in played in preseason and in games.  At times terrible, but not ******* terrible.

I keep coming back to the same place.  Hopefully the Jets next year can go with half the Bears route.  They will draft a new QB high, but hopefully we can get by with what we have and not have to spend $15mm on a bridge QB.  Would rather spend that on a CB..

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Crazy idea: the reason he hasn't played yet isn't because he's "redshirting" or "developing" or whatever dumbass term of art you want to use. It's because he's ******* terrible.

And Mac knows he can hide his bust pick by not playing him this yr, and then just drafting a qb top of next yrs draft. 

28 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

And Mac knows he can hide his bust pick by not playing him this yr, and then just drafting a qb top of next yrs draft. 

Macc is praying right now.

He is not going to be able to hide playing Hack.  I think the big question is who plays when during preseason.   I would almost think you alternate Hack and Petty as 1/2 in the games.  Let McCown start game 3.   Hack and Petty need to play with the starters.  Let Dale Evans clean up the games.   They could probably even use a 5th preseason QB so one of the others do not get hurt by some knucklhead.

Bowles will start McCown game 1.  He will find a reason.  But Hack will play in games.  We will know where this stands.  

I agree with John B from GGN that Macc and Bowles should get 2 more years, unless 2017 is a complete disaster.  If Hack and Petty together cannot play professional football, 2017 will be a disaster.  They will then get fired.

7 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

It's interesting the haters that want to tank for Darnold and are hoping he plays to secure that pick.

We don't know what we have in Hack but for sure we know what we have in McCown.

The tank brigade should be clamoring for McCown to start. He is 2-22 the past 3 years and is now a declining QB at the past prime age of 38. You think he will turn those fortunes around with a rebuilding team?

Be careful what you wish for wanting Hack to start it might bite you in the ass.

Personally I am not on the outrite tank bus and am hoping for Hack to start.

But that's a no lose right? If Hack sucks we are in the running, maybe, for the top pick. If he plays well we have our long term QB answer, maybe.

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My favorite part was about how Todd Bowles runs a meritocracy.

Was there ever a NY head coach/manager that has actually run a meritocracy?

The closest I can remember is Joe Torre in the 1996 playoffs and he was desperate for a championship.  He was quick to bench anyone who wasn't performing.

Other than that I can't think of anyone.  Coaches/Managers play favorites and rely on players they trust, even if they aren't performing.  I think it's human nature.

But that's a no lose right? If Hack sucks we are in the running, maybe, for the top pick. If he plays well we have our long term QB answer, maybe.

Yes IF he sucks....I was more referring to the crowd who wants Darnold no matter what Hack turns out to be. With McCown all he does is lose...it's like if you play him it's almost a gaurantee. If his win loss record is 2-22 in the past 3 years I'd say it's pretty high odds we would be looking at best 1-15 if McCown were to play every game.
I want no part of that...play Hack and sink or swim.

Archived