Chan Chan was a MEAN man. Ex-Jet Kerley criticizes Chan Gailey

Gas2No99

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Former Jets WR Jeremy Kerley, whose playing time mysteriously vanished in 2015, blamed a bad relationship with then-OC Chan Gailey. "Chan was just one of those type of guys that has his mind set up before he sees whoever's there," Kerley told Alex Marvez and Phil Savage on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "2015 was by far my worst year in the league. I absolutely hated the NFL. I wasn't getting any playing time at receiver. I was just strictly punt return. Me and Chan Gailey were always … We didn't see eye-to-eye. I didn't have a lot of respect for him. It was probably the same for him."

So Kerley claims he was written off from the beginning by Gailey. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The run up the middle/run up the middle/3rd and 8 incomplete pass offense was more of a problem than his personality. Gailey's hiring bespoke a coach who didn't know anything about offense other than he didn't want to turn the ball over. So he farmed it out to an old guy; how f__ing stupid was that? Gailey is a relic; running up the middle vs. 300+ DLs who move like cats is pointless. But to Gailey the NFL is still some 1975 establish the run BS. Guy might have looked  okay over 15.5 games of Fizterception having a career season, but the offensive philosophy was crap. And not finding out in 2016 if either Hack or Petty could pass effectively was dereliction by everyone involved. He was looking for a final payday before calling it a career. Bowles could've scoured NFL and college ranks for a dynamic passing offense guy. But defense first Bowles was too lazy to take a serious interest in his most important hire.Heck, the fact that Gailey may have been angry enough to yell at anyone is surprising because more often than not looked like nobody cared about scoring on offense. What did he yell about; telling people to get off of his goddamn lawn? 

The run up the middle/run up the middle/3rd and 8 incomplete pass offense was more of a problem than his personality. Gailey's hiring bespoke a coach who didn't know anything about offense other than he didn't want to turn the ball over. So he farmed it out to an old guy; how f__ing stupid was that? Gailey is a relic; running up the middle vs. 300+ DLs who move like cats is pointless. But to Gailey the NFL is still some 1975 establish the run BS. Guy might have looked  okay over 15.5 games of Fizterception having a career season, but the offensive philosophy was crap. And not finding out in 2016 if either Hack or Petty could pass effectively was dereliction by everyone involved. He was looking for a final payday before calling it a career. Bowles could've scoured NFL and college ranks for a dynamic passing offense guy. But defense first Bowles was too lazy to take a serious interest in his most important hire.Heck, the fact that Gailey may have been angry enough to yell at anyone is surprising because more often than not looked like nobody cared about scoring on offense. What did he yell about; telling people to get off of his goddamn lawn? 

Todd Bowles is Introverted Rex Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Granted 2016 stunk but Jet fans are embarrassing themselves if they are going to criticize Gailey and the

offense of 2015.  Did you even watch any games???  They were a top 10 offense with Fitzpatrick at QB,

if you don't think that was an accomplishment you are beyond clueless

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Granted 2016 stunk but Jet fans are embarrassing themselves if they are going to criticize Gailey and the

offense of 2015.  Did you even watch any games???  They were a top 10 offense with Fitzpatrick at QB,

With all due respect in my opinion they were a top 10 offense against the bottom 10 teams in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Former Jets WR Jeremy Kerley, whose playing time mysteriously vanished in 2015, blamed a bad relationship with then-OC Chan Gailey. "Chan was just one of those type of guys that has his mind set up before he sees whoever's there," Kerley told Alex Marvez and Phil Savage on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "2015 was by far my worst year in the league. I absolutely hated the NFL. I wasn't getting any playing time at receiver. I was just strictly punt return. Me and Chan Gailey were always … We didn't see eye-to-eye. I didn't have a lot of respect for him. It was probably the same for him."

In my opinion, Gailey did the same thing to Hackenberg the next year, 2016.  Gailey had ZERO interest in developing him at this late stage of his coaching career.  The whole red-shirt garbage was Gailey avoiding having to deal with him.  He had no interest at all b/c he knew his time was limited. Gailey = P.O.S.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

I didn't have the strength to write a cogent response, but for folks to even to now act as if we had a horrible offense in year one (2015) under Chan is preposterous.

That was the best the Jets offense looked overall in more than a decade, and the stats back that statement up; and this was all done with Fitz under center.

Fitzpatrick!!!!!!

No, Chan wasn't perfect, but for him to have had a top 10 offense with Fitz under center in 2015 is to say the man essentially wrought a miracle and yet some folks out here are still complaining.

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

In my opinion, Gailey did the same thing to Hackenberg the next year, 2016.  Gailey had ZERO interest in developing him at this late stage of his coaching career.  The whole red-shirt garbage was Gailey avoiding having to deal with him.  He had no interest at all b/c he knew his time was limited. Gailey = P.O.S.

the excuses for hackenberg never end. His college coach, his line, his receivers, gailey, the woman who made his sandwich before his 1st day of school! Thankfully, with them all out of the way we are set to see him shine!

All I remember is Kerley was overpaid on his one contract and decided not to show up for the voluntary off season workouts which got him in the dog house right away.

He was a decent #3/4 receiver but not a play maker and he was one of the worst punt returners I've seen.

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

the excuses for hackenberg never end. His college coach, his line, his receivers, gailey, the woman who made his sandwich before his 1st day of school! Thankfully, with them all out of the way we are set to see him shine!

All I can say is......

stop it the little rascals spanky cut it out enough GIF

59 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Anyone who watched the games could see exactly this.  Kerley isn't a prototypical starting #1/#2 WR, but he's got ability in the right offense.  Gailey just saw Marshall and Decker and wrote Kerley off from day 1.

And rightly so. Not every small, slow WR is Wayne Chrebet.

What has Kerley done for anyone else since the Jets released him? Answer: NOTHING SIGNIFICANT.

I have to agree with the poster who said he wondered about having a life based on this thread. To me, the same can be asked of Kerley: who gives a f*ck about Chan Gailey and your tenure with the Jets, which is over two seasons past?

13 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Excuses for what? He's barely played a down in the NFL in his first two seasons, like MOST QBs. Does Discount Double check need excuses? Tom Brady? Joe Hostetler?

Some guys fit an offense better than others, it happens all the time.

Chan's "dinosaur" offense has given QB's better seasons than they had any right to have. We didn't complain when he uplifted the O to top 10 production in 2015. Doesn't mean he didn't have faults or that the wheels didn't fall off or that he still needed to be around mind you. 

All I'm saying was there was a legitimately successful strategy going and it wasn't a crime that it didn't involve a pretty good receiver with traits the coordinator didn't value.

Still really like Kerley, would be glad to have him back.

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Kerley did get unfairly buried by this regime.  Luckily we had a strong and intelligent HC and GM who could keep our productive home grown players

Yeah, if we would have kept Kerley, I mean who KNOWS?  Maybe we beat Buffalo and make the playoffs....

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

All I remember is Kerley was overpaid on his one contract and decided not to show up for the voluntary off season workouts which got him in the dog house right away.

He was a decent #3/4 receiver but not a play maker and he was one of the worst punt returners I've seen.

This absolutely, and I am shocked to read that Kerley was not happy with Gailey. Kerley always received punts and ran so fast to Gailey (sideline, I know Gailey sat upstairs) it seemed as though he missed him!

6 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

It's threads like this you can tell who the idiots are on this site.   They show themselves hard. 

2015 was a record breaking offense. With one of the worst QB in NFL history. 

the performance of the offense in 2015 in no way excuses Gailey from completely ignoring Hackenberg's development in 2016. Not saying he should have been the starter or anything, but no work at all?  Come on. That's abnormal and it's not on Hack.  It's on Gailey and Bowles.

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Eh, this is a two-way street. Chan might be one of those guys that gives respect when it's earned, while Kerley might be one of those guys that expects respect before he earns it. 

At least Chan never cried about it to anyone. Kerley is crying about it still 2-3 years later.

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Chan's "dinosaur" offense has given QB's better seasons than they had any right to have. We didn't complain when he uplifted the O to top 10 production in 2015. Doesn't mean he didn't have faults or that the wheels didn't fall off or that he still needed to be around mind you. 

All I'm saying was there was a legitimately successful strategy going and it wasn't a crime that it didn't involve a pretty good receiver with traits the coordinator didn't value.

Perfectly stated!

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He's not the first to complain.  Players from the OL, Matt Forte...Gailey was an old school ****er who couldnt adjust.  There was no reason to run Kerley off. 

While true, I don't think it means we lost some gem of a player in Kerley. He racked up some garbage time stats the prior year, and the dopes here can't get over it.

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

This, except for the bold. I don't care one way or the other. I know I'm bucking the trend by not being a Jet fan drooling over the JAG players of yesteryear.

39 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

It's threads like this you can tell who the idiots are on this site.   They show themselves hard. 

This.

58 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Yes, far too many fans bamboozled by the Jets performance against the easiest schedule in the NFL. And week after week of facing teams with critical injuries. That's how a team winds up $5M in the hole for a crappy QB a year later. 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Actually its pretty simple.  We had 4 QBs, two were developmental, there was no time to develop Hack during the regular season.  As was the Jets plan from the time he was drafted.  The plan was somebody goes, Petty gets to move up a spot and Hacks development starts.  The excuses were made by fans who just done get it.  Not the coaches, GM or Hack.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually its pretty simple.  We had 4 QBs, two were developmental, there was no time to develop Hack during the regular season.  As was the Jets plan from the time he was drafted.  The plan was somebody goes, Petty gets to move up a spot and Hacks development starts.  The excuses were made by fans who just done get it.  Not the coaches, GM or Hack.  

Carrying four QBs was dumb and proved useless. I never would've resigned Fitz but, once they did, they had to cut Geno and give the kids important reps in practice. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Carrying four QBs was dumb and proved useless. I never would've resigned Fitz but, once they did, they had to cut Geno and give the kids important reps in practice. 

It didnt prove useless if what you wanted to do develop 2 QBs, neither of which were ready to start and Fitz has a history of injury, which proved out.  

Archived