Kirk Cousins - the future Jets nobody here seems to want to talk about

Integrity28

He's an average starter, I wouldn't be shocked if he or Alex Smith went on our radar after this season. Its about finding the right fit for our offense at the end of the day, I cant write anything out. Nor can I predict how 2017 will go for any QB- Hack, Darnold, Cousins, you name it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Darnold still has three years before he can legally walk into a bar and drink. Plus he would be cheap cheap for five years if we can get him.  I say pass on Cousins. NFL team DO NOT let franchise QBs walk that often. Unless they are old or short like Drew Breeze. 

Is Darnold going to start all five years?  Won't he have to red-shirt?

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Fitz is gone jif...its over.

Am I supposed to be upset that he couldn't get the Redskins to deal a promising young QB when RG III's future was up in the air?

Trades rarely happen in the NFL, but based on how the 'skins have blown this from the start, I wouldn't be shocked if they dealt him at this point.

I brought up Fitz in reference to the topic you brought up.  Trust me, I'm way over your boo sauce. I was over him day 1.

Trades happen all the time.  I just gave you 2 examples.  Just weird that we hear about so many unsuccessful trade attempts by Big Mac. 

Just now, JiF said:

I brought up Fitz in reference to the topic you brought up.  Trust me, I'm way over your boo sauce. I was over him day 1.

Trades happen all the time.  I just gave you 2 examples.  Just weird that we hear about so many unsuccessful trade attempts by Big Mac. 

Right, because if any of his trades were successful, you'd be the first to admit it...lol

He's a mid-range QB who will be too much in demand to be worth what we would pay him. If we had a pretty good team in need of a QB and wanted to take a shot at a SB, sure. We aren't, so not into the idea.

He'll have choices, hard to imagine we would offer the most money or the best opportunity for him. 

If our hope is for a QB to hit the middle of the pack, might as well sink those resources into the draft and hope for somebody younger and cheaper. Spend the FA money elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

*looks at the roster moves the Jets have made to clear space for next year*

I would be okay with us throwing the dollars at this guy, if the opportunity presents itself - and by that I mean:

• we aren not in position to draft a QB at the top of the draft
  • Hack, Petty and McCown are all trash
  • Bowles is no longer the coach
  • Cousins continues to prove he's a top QB in this league - despite being a cornball

Cousins continues to prove he is a rich mans Alex Smith who can't win the big games, 30 years old already made close to 100 million, and will be way over 100 million after he signs his next contract, he could easily fold under NY lights, and check out without Jordan Reed, Garcon, Djax ect.

NO THANKS!!!!!!

In the unlikely event Hack or Petty turn out to be real QB's, the Jets will do any thing next year to get a QB.

That being in the Draft or FA, ideally the #1 pick in the 2018 Draft.

If not they will blow everything to get one. I'm expecting a an Ultra expensive FA mistake, due to blowing the Draft position on a couple of meaningless Wins late in the year, marked up as " You play to Win!". 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

$200M/8?  $50M guaranteed? 

I can see that type of contract.  2 years.   Like Glennon.

If Hack and Co are decent but not great, and the Jets do not pick high, I don't see Woody going another year without improved QB play.  I could see a 2 year deal for Cousins to excite the fans.

I am not saying that that is the right move, but I think the unlikely option is Hack creating enough excitement in 2017 to warrant not drafting a QB high or throwing money at Cousins.

Why no talk of Jimmy G?  I know Bill is going to franchise him, and try to rape someone for like 3 1st rounders, but hopefully the NFL finally takes a stand against Bill ass raping everyone, and then laughing in their face about it, and force him to either pay the 20+ million to him, or rescind the tag.

My guess is Josh goes out on his own, and trades Bill a bunch of picks for Jimmy G as long as it's in the NFC like maybe Minnesota, or maybe even Washington.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme.  

What trade has he executed successfully?  sh*tzpatrick and The Lockerroom destroyer?  Picks that have zero value no and got zero return.

Anywho, didn't mean to go down that path.  I'd welcome Cousins, under the same circumstances Ape laid out.  While I have little faith in Bowles, I'd still do it if he was the coach.  

The only thing I wouldn't do is over pay and cripple yourself.  

Says the guy who loved Santonio Holmes the ultimate locker room destroyer :P

7 hours ago, JiF said:

What trade has he executed successfully?  sh*tzpatrick and The Lockerroom destroyer?  Picks that have zero value no and got zero return.

Anywho, didn't mean to go down that path.  I'd welcome Cousins, under the same circumstances Ape laid out.  While I have little faith in Bowles, I'd still do it if he was the coach.  

You do realize it takes two to make a deal.  And the skins had only an injury prone and ineffective RGIII on the roster.  They needed Cousins as a safety net and given how unproven he was at the time Macc certainly wasn't going to make an offer that you throw at a proven franchise QB.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Darnold still has three years before he can legally walk into a bar and drink. Plus he would be cheap cheap for five years if we can get him.  I say pass on Cousins. NFL team DO NOT let franchise QBs walk that often. Unless they are old or short like Drew Breeze. 

Darnold is 20.  Not 18.  

Agent’s Take: Here's what it will cost Redskins to get Kirk Cousins' deal done

Washington's front office has some serious work to do to get Cousins signed to a long-term deal

The Redskins and quarterback Kirk Cousins have until 4 p.m. ET Monday to reach an agreement on a long-term contract. . . . Cousins will be playing for a fully guaranteed $23,943,600 this season if a long-term deal isn't signed. He would become an unrestricted free agent in 2018 unless given a transition tag for $28,732,320 or a third and final franchise tag worth $34,478,784, . . . There have been conflicting reports about the likelihood of a Cousins deal. . . . . Other outlets aren't as optimistic despite discussions reportedly being more positive than last year when an impasse was reached quickly. Most deals for franchise players occur at the eleventh hour. Defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson signing a five-year, $86 million contract with the Jets right before last year's deadline was a major surprise. . . . . The Redskins will need to be comfortable not only making Cousins the NFL's highest-paid player -- currently Raiders quarterback Derek Carr -- but establishing new standards in most key contract metrics.

The current NFL salary standards are listed below. 

• Average yearly salary: $25.005 million (Carr-Raiders)
  • Overall contract guarantees: $87 million (Andrew Luck-Colts)
  • Fully guaranteed at signing: $59.955 million (Ndamukong Suh-Dolphins)
  • Fully guaranteed at signing-QB: $47 million (Luck)
  • Fully guaranteed within 12 months: $61 million (Von Miller-Broncos)
  • Fully guaranteed within 12 months-QB: $60 million (Luck)
  • Three-year cash flow: $75 million (Luck)
  • First three new years: $85,552,481 (Carr)

The 3.48 percent difference between the highest-paid and second-highest paid player over the past five years suggests a $25.875 million average per year for Cousins.

Suggested contract

Taking into consideration the negotiating dynamics that have been highlighted and using the contract parameters that have been explored as a guide, below is a chart breaking down the suggested contract between Cousins and the Redskins.

• Signing bonus: $22.5 million ($12.5 million within 15 days of execution; $10 million payable on 4/1/18)
  • Guaranteed money: $84.25 million
  • Fully guaranteed at signing: $61.75 million
  • Deal total: $130 million
  • Contract length: 5 years
  • Average per year: $26 million:blink:
Year Base salary Roster bonus (7/22/17 Signing bonus proration Salary cap number Cash flow
2017 $5,000,000  $12,500,000  $4,500,000  $22,000,000  $30,000,000 
2018 $21,750,000    $4,500,000  $26,250,000  $61,750,000 
2019 $22,500,000    $4,500,000  $27,000,000  $84,250,000 
2020 $22,750,000    $4,500,000  $27,250,000  $107,000,000 
2021 $23,000,000    $4,500,000  $27,500,000  $130,000,000 

*2017 base salary guaranteed for skill, injury & salary cap

***2019 salary guaranteed for injury; skill & salary cap on 5th day of 2018 league year

2018-21 offseason workout program de-escalator: Base salary will decrease by $150,000 in any season that Cousins doesn't complete at least 90 percent of the total scheduled workouts in the offseason program.

Discretionary right to convert base salary into signing bonus: The Redskins have the right to convert Cousins' base salary into signing bonus in their sole discretion at any time during the duration of the contract.

To those who want to sign the Redskins Starting QB as a FA for the Jets in 2018. 

AS WHEN IT COMES TO KISSING: JUST SAY NO TO COUSINS!!!

Final thoughts

Any deal Cousins does now will pale in comparison to what he could get on the open market in 2018. It's conceivable that he fetches $30 million per year with $100 million in guarantees as an unrestricted free agent:blink: because there are more NFL teams than good quarterbacks. Some of those quarterback-needy teams will have an abundance of cap space next offseason.

Quarterbacks routinely sign long-term instead of playing out their contracts when given a tempting offer. Cousins' time as the NFL's highest-paid player would be short lived by following the traditional quarterback route.

Cousins' descent down the NFL salary totem pole would continue in 2018. Aaron Rodgers is expected to sign a new deal with the Packers next year when there are two years left on his current contract. The Falcons will likely extend reigning NFL MVP Matt Ryan's contract as well since 2018 is his contract year.

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

No offense Dan, but it always puzzles me when fans take this position. 1.) because Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be available, so you have to pay for what is; and 2.) the cost goes up every year and is based on supply and demand, meaning that if you want a QB you pay what the market demands are for the one available. It's simple economics. 

You may not think Cousins is good - and that's a fine reason to not want him - but the argument over him not being worth X amount of dollars is moot. It's a QB driven league, and you have to have one to compete. So, if Cousins costs $3-5 mil / year more than you agree with, but it legitimizes the Jets instantly - then it's worth the price.

No offense taken.  I know the reality of it is like what you say. 

But extend your logic to the extreme and you could make the same argument for paying Fitz $20MM if he's the best guy available.  When you are paying a lesser talent as much as GB is paying for Rodgers, you have the same money left to make up more ground.  That makes having a super-talented QB even more important than when you can maybe get a decent QB for a lot less but pay other positions the difference to close the gap.  When Baltimore won with Flacco, they were paying him peanuts.  Same for SEA with Wilson.

I think you can win with an average QB but it's much harder if you're paying him as much as your opponent is paying a top-5 QB.  The only alternative is to keep drafting them until you get 'the one', which could take decades.  Devil's bargain.

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

*looks at the roster moves the Jets have made to clear space for next year*

I would be okay with us throwing the dollars at this guy, if the opportunity presents itself - and by that I mean:

• we aren not in position to draft a QB at the top of the draft
  • Hack, Petty and McCown are all trash
  • Bowles is no longer the coach
  • Cousins continues to prove he's a top QB in this league - despite being a cornball

Best post I read in a while and 100% on target.  We keep on gravitating to the draft option, but there are other options out there and to drop in a proven QB is a good one.

10 hours ago, JiF said:

Definitely need to have limits financially, but Mo Wilk is making 18M this year and 20 mil next, so that will get us a good part of the way there.

Aside from Cousins the following are UFA:

Brees

Bradford

Stafford

Bridgewater

As we have discussed repeatedly, the Jets and their desperate FO is in an interesting spot  

If Hack looks awesome and the Jets are not picking at the top of the draft, I guess that is ok.  Hack is a better physical prospect than Cousins.  Cousins just has moxy.

This is the good one-Hack is meh but wins too many games for a top pick. Then the Jets are looking at infinity before they get a QB.  That is the scenario where they spend big money for Cousins.  Mo could be a casualty.

If Hack and Co stink, they draft someone good and ride that.  

Honestly, the last option is best, but they are a business, and Woody and Glatt will push for 2 if necessary.

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not really in favor of signing Cousins. Consider this: if Hack turns out to be the guy he has a seven tear longer potential lifespan than Cousins. If Hack is not the guy. we will likely draft someone in RD1 that will be even younger.

That said, the Jets have so much cap space next year that they could use roster bonus and other escalated bonuses to make the cap hit of a 5 year contact very minimal./

That is a possibility, and I might win the powerball.

image.php?encI=X55g%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVDJ

Always wanted Cousins here but I'm not sure that will happen. If we are really bad this year would you rather pay Cousins 25 + Million per or draft one of the top prospects in next years draft. Not only that but the guy also has to want to come here because if hes ONLY about the money and the highest bidder do we really want him over one of those young hungry guys ?

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This would result in a bender. Like, months long. Me, creeping across the country, explaining to people how much mental pain the sh*t-eating Jets have caused me. 

This alone would be worth the Jets throwing a boatload of money at him.

Never been a big fan of Cousins. He's good, not great and overpaid IMO. However I don't think we will be getting a #1,#2 or possibly even a #3 draft pick next year and whoever gets those spots are in desperate need of a QB so they won't be negotiable. Just hoping we have what we need in the stable already. 

If we're signing Cousins we're doing so with the notion he's our QB of the future and we're overpaying. There's no way not to. If he hits the market he's going to get top dollar unless he sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived