Is Everybody Here Going To Watch The Game Tomorrow?

SoFlaJets

I'm REALLY hoping that I have a gig tomorrow night so I WON'T have to watch it. This would be the 1st of the SB games that I would NOT have watched-seen every single one of them live on TV-in fact my first NFL game that I watched was "The Ice Bowl" NFL Championship Game when Green Bay beat Dallas on Bart Starr's QB sneak over Jerry Kramer in 1966. I have no desire to watch the Giants and Patriots....

I'm REALLY hoping that I have a gig tomorrow night so I WON'T have to watch it. This would be the 1st of the SB games that I would NOT have watched-seen every single one of them live on TV-in fact my first NFL game that I watched was "The Ice Bowl" NFL Championship Game when Green Bay beat Dallas on Bart Starr's QB sneak over Jerry Kramer in 1966. I have no desire to watch the Giants and Patriots....

Go Gmen tarnish cindy's legacy

Area Jets Fans Not So Excited by Super Bowl

by Melvin Mason

FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Woe is us who choose to wear green this weekend.

This Sunday, the New York Giants and New England Patriots will take to the gridiron for Super Bowl XLVI, playing to determine the NFL’s next champion. Of course, many football fans in Fairfield County and the rest of Connecticut are excited about the contest, a rematch of a classic Super Bowl from four years ago featuring teams with loyal followings in the area.

But for me and others in this state who root for the New York Jets, it’s a game we could probably do without. While still healing from the proverbial wounds of an 8-8 regular season in 2011, complete with off-field drama, Jets fans are torn on deciding which Super Bowl winner would be the lesser of two evils.

The Patriots are a longtime AFC East rival, and the guys from Foxboro have been on the good side of many recent Jets-Pats encounters, including winning both games in the last regular season. A Patriots win would mean us Jets fans would have to endure more trash talk from a team that’s won three Super Bowls while appearing in six throughout its history. Since Bill Belichick took over as New England’s head coach – and departed from the Jets after being head coach for one day, mind you – the Pats have become an elite franchise. The team is led by quarterback Tom Brady, who has made no secret of his hatred for the Jets and who has put up some of his better games against our favorite team. Surely a fourth title would make its fan base even more insufferable, especially with several former Jets (see defensive end Shaun Ellis) claiming a championship with the Pats.

That said, the Giants fans in our area may not be too kind, either. The Giants are the elder statesmen of New York football, having won three Super Bowls since 1986. Many Big Blue supporters have reminded us Jets fans of that, along with all the barbs about our team playing in “their” stadium for many years before both took up residence at MetLife Stadium in 2010.

The chatter of being “New York’s team” became even louder as Giants fans snapped back at Jets head coach Rex Ryan for his boasting of back-to-back AFC title game appearances after the 2009 and 2010 seasons. Many Giants fans took great glee in seeing their team beat the Jets last Christmas Eve, effectively eliminating the Jets from playoff contention.

The win in the all-New York contest proved a springboard for the Giants, who went on to win the NFC East a week later and then reel off three more victories to clinch a berth in the Super Bowl. A fourth title for Big Blue would make the success gap between the New York teams even wider and prompt Giants fans – and players – to rub even more salt in our wounds during a blue-hued championship parade through New York City’s Canyon of Heroes.

Neither outcome is favorable to championship-starved Jets fans. Those of us 45 or younger were either not alive to see Joe Namath back up his “guarantee” of victory over the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III or were too young to appreciate it. We have seen our team in four AFC championship games, all ending in losses one game short of the big game.

So who are we rooting for? I’ve heard some Jets fans say they’ll root for the Pats. They have tired of the Giants’ recent success and G-Men players chirping about how their win over the Jets propelled them to this championship weekend. Some are saying they won’t root for the Pats as much as they’ll root against the Giants. Others simply can’t stand the idea of seeing a hated divisional foe win again, so they will root for the Giants, albeit while holding their noses.

As for this Jets fan: I’ll likely end up pulling for the Giants, though not with full heart. To me, Jets-Giants was never much of a “rivalry.” They play once every four years. And the relationship between Jets and Giants fans during my youth in Brooklyn was rarely antagonistic; most of my Giant fan friends don’t hate the Jets. Plus, I can’t root for a Boston sports team. Despite the declaration that they represent "New England,” all I see is Boston – and you won’t catch me rooting for the Red Sox, Celtics or Bruins, either.

Mostly, us Jets fans just want this whole thing to be done. We’d rather just hear that former Jet Curtis Martin is being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame and then fast-forward to the start of training camp for the 2012 season. The latter, unfortunately, won’t happen.

In the meantime, while we're watching the Super Bowl, we'll be hoping that the day will come that we'll get to enjoy the sight of our Gang Green playing in the NFL's biggest game.

But for now, woe is us.

I hope Brady gets a career-ending injury, like someone punching him in his vagina to the point where he can't play again, but also hope that the Giants lose. That would be ideal. Barring that, I can't stand Brady, so I have to root for the Giants. I won't be watching the game though. I'll be recording it on my DVR and fast forwarding through the game (and halftime show) just so I can see the commercials.

I havn't watched the last two cause I was pissed about the AFC championship game's but I probably will this year since I havn't got drunk in 2 weeks and I'm in Boston. I wanna make the rounds to all the bars if they lose again. I had a fun night when the Red Sox got elimanted from the playoffs That being said, **** the Giants also

I rooted for the Giants the first time. Was in Boston at a conference and my company was holding a Super Bowl party in a ballroom at the Marriott. Surrounded by Patriot fans IN Boston, I couldn't help but root for the Giants to ruin their perfect season. Was a great game.

However, this year it will be the Pats I will be (half-heartedly) rooting for, since I can't watch anything without having a rooting interest beyond rooting for Patriot 0's and Giants 3's or 7's at the end of every quarter.

Why the Pats? Well, at least I've never had to endure a Patriot fan, at a gf's family dinner refer to me as a "stupid Jets fan", countering every argument I made as to why the Jets COULD beat the Patriots with "well that's because you're a stupid Jets fan". Giant fans are so f'ing arrogant and the Giants are the darlings of NYC again, I just can't root for them or THAT.

Go Pats.

No

As I stated in another post == picked up a shift tomorrow afternoon and I will work for the 1st time ever during a SB -- But the game will be on and we will have a small office party with food and all so it should be ok -- Just do not have the right mood to sit with friends and pound some beers this year -- still have a bitter feeling and just want this over with and look foward to next season.

go giants

I can't pass this up, to watch Belicheat&Brady go down in flames,never to reach another SB..Brady knows it too,he basically said it in a interview early this week. Their dynasty over.Coughlin will then retire,go out on top like LaRussa did.

history???

oh, I forgot --- if they somehow can beat the Giants, the Patriots will make history by winning their FIRST Superbowl in 52 seasons not tainted by the worst example of cheating and unsportsmanlike conduct in the history of Sports.

if they lose

they are STILL Rosie Ruiz with her victory*** in the Boston Marathon

Archived