Chad 'Ochocinco' Johnson: MERGED

SayNoToDMC

PR stunt? Who benefits from this news beyond HBO?

Unless he's setting up a post football career staring in a new VH1 reality show "Quasi Celebrity Marriage Counseling" there's better ways to seek attention

I didn't say it made sense, but I'm not discounting it, tbh... see below:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dolphins reportedly cut Chad Johnson after arrest

By Simon Samano, USA TODAY

Updated 6m ago

Released from jail earlier in the day, Chad Johnson has now been released from the Miami Dolphins, too.

This according to FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer, who reported Sunday the team has parted ways with the wide receiver, one day after Johnson was arrested on charges of domestic assault for allegedly head-butting his wife.

ocho2x-inset-community.jpg

CAPTION

By Steve Mitchell, US Presswire

A source familiar with the decision also confirmed the news to The Associated Press.

And just like that, Johnson's stint in Miami is over in the most stunning of fashions.

Earlier in the day, Dolphins coach Joe Philbin told reporters he had yet to speak with Johnson but planned on doing so sooner rather later. No word on if that meeting took place or how Johnson was informed of the team's decision.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the decision to cut Johnson was made by Philbin, who had the support of his front office.

Johnson was looking to bounce back from a dismal one-year campaign with the New England Patriots last season, and at least on the surface seemed headed in the right direction.

Just two days ago, the 34-year-old veteran was sitting atop the Dolphins' wide receiver depth chart. Now his career could very well be over.

This certainly will make for an intriguing episode this week on HBO's Hard Knocks.

Dolphins reportedly cut Chad Johnson after arrest

By Simon Samano, USA TODAY

Updated 6m ago

Released from jail earlier in the day, Chad Johnson has now been released from the Miami Dolphins, too.

This according to FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer, who reported Sunday the team has parted ways with the wide receiver, one day after Johnson was arrested on charges of domestic assault for allegedly head-butting his wife.

ocho2x-inset-community.jpg

told reporters he had yet to speak with Johnson but planned on doing so sooner rather later. No word on if that meeting took place or how Johnson was informed of the team's decision.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the decision to cut Johnson was made by Philbin, who had the support of his front office.

Johnson was looking to bounce back from a dismal one-year campaign with the New England Patriots last season, and at least on the surface seemed headed in the right direction.

Just two days ago, the 34-year-old veteran was sitting atop the Dolphins' wide receiver depth chart. Now his career could very well be over.

This certainly will make for an intriguing episode this week on HBO's Hard Knocks.

does him being kicked off the team help or hurt the Dolphins?

i think it helps their younger receivers get more playing time which may be good, may be bad

Putting Mason, Plax and Holmes in the same huddle as Mark Sanchez is like throwing Justin Bieber into a prison cell with Michael Jackson, Pete Townsend and Jerry Sandusky.

This was awesome ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMH The Dolphins can't catch a break...

ESPN NY

August 12, 2012

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets could use a veteran wide receiver, and a well-known receiver just hit the market Sunday -- Chad Johnson, who was cut by the Dolphins.

Could the Jets make a play for him? This much I can tell you: The chances of that happening are remote.

Johnson, a six-time Pro Bowl receiver hanging on the last two seasons, was released by the Dolphins about 24 hours after he was arrested and charged with domestic battery case involving his wife. He might have been an intriguing option a year or two ago for the Jets, but not anymore. The headache outweighs the baggage.

Don't be surprised if the Jets add a veteran before the start of the regular season. Some of the top free agents are:

Lee Evans -- Released Sunday by the Jaguars.

Plaxico Burress -- Doesn't make sense; been there, done that.

Roy Williams -- Former Cowboy still looking for a job.

Greg Camarillo -- Makes the most sense. He's familiar with Tony Sparano's system, having played under him in 2008 and 2009 with the Dolphins.

Mark Clayton -- Really?..

http://espn.go.com/b...in-chad-johnson

Lee Evans might be worth a look at.

The WR corp is at best right now a question mark and I think alot will depend on how Hill progresses.It's hard to believe that in about 18 months the Jets have gone from

Holmes

Edwards

Cotchery

to

Holmes

Hill

Kerley.

Lee Evans might be worth a look at.

The WR corp is at best right now a question mark and I think alot will depend on how Hill progresses.It's hard to believe that in about 18 months the Jets have gone from

Holmes

Edwards

Cotchery

to

Holmes

Hill

Kerley.

Evans is a small receiver whose entire game is predicated on his ability to run fast - something he doesn't seem to be able to do as well as he used to. I hope he's not even a blip on the Jets radar.

I liked what Kerley did as a rookie, but it's concerning that both Rex and Tanny have publicly called him out this summer.

I think Stephen Hill is a perfect fit for the Jets offense, and I really like the idea of throwing him into the starting lineup and letting him grow into the role. He's a willing, capable blocker in the run game, and he has the speed to get downfield.

The Jets new WR coach brought Schilens with him from the Raiders. I'm willing to wait and see if there's something there. Tall and fast, he should be a nice addition in 4 WR sets. Jordan White is an intriguing guy, who can potentially push Kerley for the slot job. If these guys are shaky, Patrick Turner looks like he can at least be solid, if not spectacular.

Bottom line for me is that I see this season as a stepping stone year. New OC, and maybe the final evaluation of Sanchez along with an extended look at Tebow before deciding what the future at QB is for this team. The offense is missing a few pieces, and I think looking forward that WR might be a spot where they're okay. I think they need to look to the future where RB, TE, and the OL appear to be larger looming concerns.

Evans is a small receiver whose entire game is predicated on his ability to run fast - something he doesn't seem to be able to do as well as he used to. I hope he's not even a blip on the Jets radar.

I liked what Kerley did as a rookie, but it's concerning that both Rex and Tanny have publicly called him out this summer.

I think Stephen Hill is a perfect fit for the Jets offense, and I really like the idea of throwing him into the starting lineup and letting him grow into the role. He's a willing, capable blocker in the run game, and he has the speed to get downfield.

The Jets new WR coach brought Schilens with him from the Raiders. I'm willing to wait and see if there's something there. Tall and fast, he should be a nice addition in 4 WR sets. Jordan White is an intriguing guy, who can potentially push Kerley for the slot job. If these guys are shaky, Patrick Turner looks like he can at least be solid, if not spectacular.

Bottom line for me is that I see this season as a stepping stone year. New OC, and maybe the final evaluation of Sanchez along with an extended look at Tebow before deciding what the future at QB is for this team. The offense is missing a few pieces, and I think looking forward that WR might be a spot where they're okay. I think they need to look to the future where RB, TE, and the OL appear to be larger looming concerns.

The offense right now looks like a trainwreck. I know it is basically impossible to say that especially after just 1 pre season game where the 1st team offense was in there for just a couple of series but I think there is alot of reason for concern.

I like Hill as well. I really hope he turns out to be the player I think alot of us think he can be.Kerley to me is an "eh" kind of player and Schillens doesn't do anything for me at all.

Hopefully the Jets can come up with someone to take the RT position. Last year the Ravens were able to scoop up Bryant McKinnie after Minnesota let him go, so maybe something like that falls into the Jets lap.

The Jets though really need to at least be able to protect the QB to have any kind of chance this year. With the Giants coming up this week the Jets will face a real nice test.

The offense right now looks like a trainwreck. I know it is basically impossible to say that especially after just 1 pre season game where the 1st team offense was in there for just a couple of series but I think there is alot of reason for concern.

I like Hill as well. I really hope he turns out to be the player I think alot of us think he can be.Kerley to me is an "eh" kind of player and Schillens doesn't do anything for me at all.

Hopefully the Jets can come up with someone to take the RT position. Last year the Ravens were able to scoop up Bryant McKinnie after Minnesota let him go, so maybe something like that falls into the Jets lap.

The Jets though really need to at least be able to protect the QB to have any kind of chance this year. With the Giants coming up this week the Jets will face a real nice test.

I don't think the offense looks any worse than last year's model, and even if it did, I don't see any of these scrap heap WRs helping them. Kerley and Schilens may not float your boat, but I don't think Lee Evans or Roy Williams or any any of these guys bring much more to the table than they do. And, frankly, I'd rather they weren't here taking reps away from the guys the Jets have, or taking up a roster spot while not producing anything on special teams.

If Sanchez can simply limit the turnovers, and the defense is as improved as we think it might be, the Jets are a wildcard team once again.

This. Actually thought the Jets did a good job addressing the WR position. There may not have the "big name" appeal ala Chad or Harvin but given our offensive philosophy and the need for low priced talent...thought the FO did a good job. IMO...they took a similar approach with the DBs...brought in some FA, add in a couple of flyers from the draft, coach em up, provide an opportunity and hopefully the overall unit improves. Just wish they had thought the OL was a bigger priority.

The New York Jets are never shy about making a controversial move.

With Chad Johnson on the market after the Miami Dolphins cut ties with him, rumors have been floating around about where the receiver will land next. According to Mike Florio of PFT, the chances of the Jets signing him are "remote."

Two years ago Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie were acquired despite character concerns belying both of them. This offseason, Tim Tebow was brought in even though many felt it would hurt the development of Mark Sanchez. However, it doesn't look as if the team is willing to bring in another big name who could alter the locker room chemistry again.

New York has an obvious need at wide receiver, but is Johnson someone can fill the void and be a good teammate? Although the idea has to be enticing to a team that enjoys the back page, the Jets seem to be standing pat.

Archived