So, Revis is a Patriot...

ZachEY

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care what anyone says, I am happy we are done with the Revis drama, and I am happy we are not paying him 12 million a year. His presence on New England will not make that much of a difference. This move has got to have pretty much eaten most of the cap space they had left, they are done making major moves and our receivers may actually be better than theirs come opening day.

I was initially disappointed by the news, but with a couple of hours to think about it, now the Patriots can experience all the drama that goes along with signing Revis.  He can only cover 1 receiver, leaving the rest of the defense vulnerable, and now they have little cap room left to make any more moves.  

andddd we got Decker as a consolation to Revis going to NE. Hope he smokes Revis when we play them.

It would be hilarious if he does.  It would put a huge smile on my face to see Decker score a touchdown on Revis.  Still, even if Decker can simply keep Revis occupied out there on Revis Island, hopefully we'll have James Jones or a solid rookie WR to take advantage of the other DBs in New England's secondary.

I was initially disappointed by the news, but with a couple of hours to think about it, now the Patriots can experience all the drama that goes along with signing Revis.  He can only cover 1 receiver, leaving the rest of the defense vulnerable, and now they have little cap room left to make any more moves.  

Vinny, you are a smart kid.  You nailed it.  The value of a single shut-down corner neutralizing a #1 receiver has been diminished with multiple receiver sets becoming SOP for almost every team in the league.  Plus, Revis does not have the straight line speed he used to have.  He will be exploited plenty of times on the deep ball if he is in single coverage.

Vinny, you are a smart kid.  You nailed it.  The value of a single shut-down corner neutralizing a #1 receiver has been diminished with multiple receiver sets becoming SOP for almost every team in the league.  

Thanks.

I think Revis makes a bigger difference when it comes to going up against teams like the Lions, who have a true superstar receiver in Calvin Johnson who makes most DBs look foolish.  We obviously don't have that, but adding another WR like James Jones and then maybe someone in the first round of the draft can help even the odds against Revis and the rest of New England's defense.

I wanted Revis as much as the next guy but I hate all the drama fans are creating about this offseason. Our priority had to be offense, at least now we got Decker and at a reasonable price. As long as we re-sign Cro or sign Munnerlyn we should be at least as good as last year at CB. I would have loved to have Milliner learning behind Revis but oh well. Maybe next year.

Also who's left at safety to sign? That concerns me a bit. Byrd was number one on my wishlist.

I wanted Revis as much as the next guy but I hate all the drama fans are creating about this offseason. Our priority had to be offense, at least now we got Decker and at a reasonable price. As long as we re-sign Cro or sign Munnerlyn we should be at least as good as last year at CB. I would have loved to have Milliner learning behind Revis but oh well. Maybe next year.

Also who's left at safety to sign? That concerns me a bit. Byrd was number one on my wishlist.

We are going to draft Deon Bucannon in the 2nd round, and he is going to put big hurt on receivers for the next several years.

So their $12 million dollar man takes away our $7 million dollar man. Suckers.

Decker's not a #1 WR, though. There's no one on the Jets for Revis to cover. He'll probably be a healthy scratch the two times the Jets face them.

ted ginn jr made revis look silly

Ricky Sherman got punked by a 9ers WR last regular season too. He seemed to shake it off this past February.

Revis is way better than Talib. Id put a healthy Revis and Sherman in the same class no problem. Talib has injury issues and drug issues. Talib is1 failed drug test away from a 1 year suspension, with 26 million in his pocket and living in a state that just legalized weed.

What could go wrong?

Just in case you somehow thought Darrelle Revis had a down year, his +18.2 @PFF grade in 2013 led all CBs.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Pete/statuse...97084913901569

Great Read,,he was NEVER coming back, the prick used us,,f**k em

A Revis reunion (ha!) turns into nightmare
March, 12, 2014
MAR 12
11:40
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  

In the end, Darrelle Revis preferred to play for a coach he once called a “jerk” than for a general manager he branded a liar. 

What does that make Revis? 

The New York Jets-Revis relationship and the Jets-New England Patriots rivalry took another crazy turn Wednesday night with the news that Revis Island is moving to the Bay State. Less than four hours after he was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the star cornerback ran to the Hoodie in New England, agreeing to a one-year, $12 million contractwith the Patriots

It surely is a nightmare for Jets Nation, seeing one of the best players in team history join forces with the Evil Empire to the northeast. It was a brilliant move by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, doling out a steep, but not-so-outrageous contract for one of the top corners in the NFL -- a move that has Jets fans asking, “Why didn’t we sign him?” 

Don’t beat yourself up. It was never going to happen. Not ever. 

Revis never wanted to return to the Jets; it was always the Patriots. He started thinking about the Patriots a year ago, when his bitter divorce from the Jets became imminent. It took him a year to reach his desired destination, enduring one miserable, but profitable ($16 million) season in Tampa, but he’s in position now to haunt the Jets, collect a bunch of money and maybe reach the Super Bowl. 

When his release from the Bucs became inevitable, Revis’ people created a smokescreen, leaking half-truths about how he was “in love” with the idea of rejoining the Jets. They knew it would send the fans into a tizzy, screaming for Revis 2.0. It was a transparent public relations ploy, giving the fan base false hope and creating some leverage against the Patriots. 

There was supposedly a discussion Wednesday between the Jets and Revis’ camp, with talk of a reunion. In fact, there were no substantive talks. Revis’ agent reached out to a Jets staffer, believed to be via text -- and it went no further than that. It never got to general manager John Idzik. 

And that was the so-called discussion. 

The Jets most certainly need a No. 1 cornerback, and maybe they deserve some criticism for not making a push to re-sign Revis. But it would’ve been moot anyway, because Revis Inc. wasn’t about to sign on the dotted line -- unless they offered $14 million. And that would’ve been ridiculous. 

Sure, he would’ve listened, but only as a means of squeezing more loot out of the Patriots. If Revis was so in love with the idea of returning to the Jets, why did it take him only three-plus hours to accept the Patriots’ offer? 

He didn’t want the Jets. They didn’t want him. Basically, nothing changed from last spring, when irreconcilable differences led to the trade. After the trade, Revis called out Idzik, saying the GM told him “a lie” about the organization’s plans for him. 

Make no mistake, the Jets talked internally about Revis over the past couple of days. Coach Rex Ryan wanted him back, of course, but the feeling in the organization was that it didn’t want to take a chance on messing up the positive vibe it created at the end of last season. The Jets have a great deal of respect for Revis the player, but they didn’t want to deal with an annual contract drama from Revis Inc. 

That he ends up with Belichick is ironic because, in a March 2012 interview at ESPN studios, he slammed the Patriots’ coach. In a word-association game, he called Belichick a “jerk.” A few weeks later, talking to reporters at the Jets’ facility, Revis piled on, making more unflattering comments about the coach. 

And now they’re buds, Darrelle and Bill, united in their desire to torment the Jets. You have to hand it to the Patriots. Less than 24 hours after losing Aqib Talib, they replaced him with a better cornerback. 

Revis wasn’t Revis last season -- “He looked mortal to me,” a longtime personnel executive said -- but he was coming off ACL surgery. He should be a better player in 2014, and you know he’ll do something to make Jets fans want to throw up in their beer cups. 

Such is the Jets-Patriots rivalry. The Jets stole Bill Parcells and Curtis Martin, and the Patriots got Belichick and now Revis. 

Jets fans have a right to be sick over this, but there’s no reason to be mad. They made a decision a year ago to abandon Revis Island. They’re happy with the early results. As for Revis, he’s turning into the most expensive rental in NFL history, a millionaire mercenary.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/36473/a-revis-reunion-ha-turns-into-nightmare?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

When fans of this team start worrying more about what actually transpires more with the Jets, and focusing less on what transpires with the Patriots, their lives will be so much easier.

The jilted jills need to realize that Revis is the new CB mercenary. They have existed before, bed hopping from team to team in search of that "championship". In Deion Sanders' case, he was actually a game changer at the position, and brought his own swagger and directed attention on himself, which made it easier for his teammates. Revis is not that, and he is not a game changer. And he is certainly not worth the monies being thrown at him for the past 2 years.

I can't blame the Pats. They are in desperate win now mode, before they turn back into a pumpkin. Worthy gamble on their part. Not one the Jets should have taken.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

The Patriots are reportedly interested in eventually doing a long-term deal with Darrelle Revis.

Revis will play out this season on a one-year, $12 million deal. After a "feeling-out period," extension negotiations could get underway. Per the NFL Network's Albert Breer, the Patriots see this as a rare opportunity to hold on to the game's No. 1 corner. It's also worth noting that unlike Revis' old Jets contract, there is no language in this deal that prevents the Patriots from using the franchise tag on him in 2015.

That's why i'm implying he only cares about those 2 things. Better yet he only cares about money, pissing off woody and jetnation is a extra incentive.

If is an incentive you care about it.

I think revis by taking this deal so quickly rather than dragging this out into a protracted bidding war shows he is changing the tune a bit--sure money still a huge concern for him but he might be starting to feel the pressure of the ring.

There is a fiscal sanity/cap room argument against resigning Revis that  I might disagree with(somewhat emotionally).

But if this is true- "the organization was that it didn’t want to take a chance on messing up the positive vibe it created at the end of last season", that the Jets have taken 2 bum fight wins as sold proof this is a good team, the Jets franchise is being run by knaves and fools.Heard Geno Smith on ESPN and the guy sounded downright delusional about how good he and this team were. It's one thing to build on modest success and be confident, but quite another to buy into fool's gold that were those last 2 wins.

There is a fiscal sanity/cap room argument against resigning Revis that while I might disagree with(somewhat emotionally).

But if this is true- "the organization was that it didn’t want to take a chance on messing up the positive vibe it created at the end of last season", that the Jets have taken 2 bum fight wins as sold proof this is a good team, the Jets franchise is being run by knaves and fools.Heard Geno Smith on ESPN and the guy sounded downright delusional about how good he and this team were. It's one thing to build on modest success and be confident, but quite another to buy into fool's gold that were those last 2 wins.

The Jets may very well finish with a worse record next year, but be a better team.

A lot has to transpire yet, though.

If is an incentive you care about it.

I think revis by taking this deal so quickly rather than dragging this out into a protracted bidding war shows he is changing the tune a bit--sure money still a huge concern for him but he might be starting to feel the pressure of the ring.

I think this may be true, but how much of it is really about being a winner vs the fact that Richard Sherman has got one on him and is now pretty much universally considered the best in the game.

There is a fiscal sanity/cap room argument against resigning Revis that I might disagree with(somewhat emotionally).

Knaves? Really?

You have  a contract you should abide by it-

I'd agree, if NFL contracts were guaranteed. But they aren't. It's OK for guys to get cut though, right? Give me a break.  

This is a business. And Revis deserves to squeeze every penny out of one of these BILLION-aire owners.

Decker's not a #1 WR, though. There's no one on the Jets for Revis to cover. He'll probably be a healthy scratch the two times the Jets face them.

he will cover MJD catching passes out of the backfield. duh

Archived