Calvin Pace and other Jet Players Unhappy With NFL

Ken Schroy

The Record

October 15, 2014

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/jets-notes-calvin-pace-unhappy-1.1109515

Pace unhappy

Veteran linebacker Calvin Pace voiced his displeasure Tuesday about the rough week the team is facing. The Jets visit New England and Tom Brady on Thursday, four days after losing to Denver and Peyton Manning at home. Thus, they will have played two sure Hall of Fame quarterbacks in a span of only five days.

"It seems like the NFL really had it out for us with this schedule," Pace said. "With that being said, nobody feels sorry for us. We’ve just got to go out and handle our business in a very hostile environment [and] find a way to get a victory.’’

He also isn’t in favor of Thursday games, period, noting how the concept goes against the concerns the NFL has voiced about players’ safety.

"I think it’s a terrible idea," Pace said of Thursday games. "I think that’s the one way that you’re pretty much ensuring a bunch of guys potentially get hurt. It’s the kind of situation where it’s not ideal. I think you could go around and ask most players, and they probably don’t want to do it."

"There’s no sugarcoating it," wide receiver David Nelson said. "Guys aren’t necessarily huge fans of Thursday night games, especially when it’s a division game and it’s so important."

The fifth-year pro noted that players’ bodies still are sore Wednesday after having played Sunday.

"It’s definitely not ideal," he said.

Center Nick Mangold said Monday, "Maybe when I was younger, I probably would have enjoyed it. The quick turnaround is physically difficult.

"As a player, I do as I’m told," he added. "It doesn’t matter if I like it or not. We have a game Thursday."

Briefs

Starting WRs Eric Decker (hamstring) and David Nelson (ankle) practiced limited and full, respectively, and both are expected to play. However, WR Greg Salas (wrist, ankle) sat out and likely will miss the game. … New England C Bryan Stork and LG Dan Connolly missed practice because of concussions and are unlikely to play.

This is pathetic talk.  Yes it's a very tough stretch to play Peyton and Brady on Sunday/Thursday but these guys have to play the hand that's dealt to them.  That's part of the sport.  This is something that Rex needs to talk to his players about.  Absolutely a loser mentality to have his players talking like this.  Could you imagine a Parcells player saying something like this?  Not a chance.

OH EM GEE groundbreaking sh*t here. Pace aknowledges tough schedules and NFL players hate Thursday night games. good thing we're making a big deal out of it!

It's been said everywhere the Jets had a rough first half and it's well known most players hate the Thursday games. this isn't a Jets issue, it's click bait.

I agree Thursday night games are bad. They should only feature two teams coming off of a bye. But the NFL is about that money, so that's bet going to happen.

If the Jets had beaten Manning, or anyone not named the Raiders this season, this quote isn't even a thought. Losers mentality to blame everyone else for suckin.

Typical off-the-cuff remarks made while talking about a variety of things, then patched together in the article to make it seem like the players were speaking together.  For what it's worth, Thursday night games are rough, and the Jets are facing two Hall of Fame QBs in four days, which is certainly not usual.  So the players just mention that and boom!-big "issue".

Typical off-the-cuff remarks made while talking about a variety of things, then patched together in the article to make it seem like the players were speaking together.  For what it's worth, Thursday night games are rough, and the Jets are facing two Hall of Fame QBs in four days, which is certainly not usual.  So the players just mention that and boom!-big "issue".

Bingo...two HOFers if four days and we want to kill a guy for saying that's a tough stretch...unreal.

I like Pace, but stop already with the pity party. Good teams don't complain about scheduling or anything else. They shut up and handle their business.

Plenty of quality players and coaches from good teams have complained about the Thursday night games. That being said, I can't remember the "NFL has it in for us" line being used before.

"It seems like the NFL really had it out for us with this schedule," Pace said.

WOW, when losers speak like losers. 

not to mention the way the officials have been calling the first six games, call me a whiner or whatever but there sure are a lot of people who are seeing the same things happening to the Jets on a weekly basis

not to mention the way the officials have been calling the first six games, call me a whiner or whatever but there sure are a lot of people who are seeing the same things happening to the Jets on a weekly basis

Yes and they are called Jets fans. These things don't only happen to Jets, we just notice them more. It's similar to the phenomenon that you only notice the red lights you get stuck at, not all the green ones you sail through.

Christ you guys are whiny.  Listen to the interview, he's just sarcastically saying it's as if the NFL schedule-makers had it out for them when he saw the lineup, not that they literally were plotting against the Jets.  His main grip was that the Thursday games are not safe for the players and that it's in direct contrast with the safety that Goodell constantly preaches, which is not only 100% true, but lost in all this bitching. 

Archived