What would a Dan Quinn defense look like for the Jets?

Maxman

I don't know the answer. But I am hoping someone does. Seattle obviously gets an insane level of play out of their cornerbacks who are physical. So that is an issue that would need to be addressed here.

Otherwise, what would Quinn do with this defense? Coples? Harris? Davis? Pryor?

Something like this:

Hulk_1.gif

I wouldn't say Rexs complicated scheme was totally ineffective but I agree they exposed the defense on many occasions. Maybe this is the reason we can't pick a duck out of a pond.

the thing I notice about Rex's D is there always seems to be blown coverages that lead to big gains.  Everybody has some of these.  I always get the feeling that the problem is mental.  Someone forgetting something or not communicating properly.  they say Quinn keeps it simple.

the thing I notice about Rex's D is there always seems to be blown coverages that lead to big gains.  Everybody has some of these.  I always get the feeling that the problem is mental.  Someone forgetting something or not communicating properly.  they say Quinn keeps it simple.

I think Rex has so many different looks and coverages that it confuses some of the players and they find themselves out of position. If you have smart personnel (2009), Rex's defense can be a thing of beauty. Take intelligence out of the drafting equation and it can get ugly when there are breakdowns. This team as constructed now needs simple. JMO.

If we're working with what we have, this is what a makeshift D looks like. But in a perfect world, Wilkerson is playing inside, Coples at LDE and we get a true edge rusher to play RDE.

RDE Coples

DT Harrison

DT Richardson

LDE Wilkerson

OLB Davis

MLB Harris

OLB Reilly

S Jarrett

S Pryor

CB Marcus Williams

CB Darrin Walls

I take it you're not a big Milliner fan?

Draft Randy Gregory in 1st round, and now you have a DL of Gregory, Wilk, Rich, Coples. With Snacks, Ellis, Douzable, and a vet FA DE on the cheap for rotation purposes.

Good point. Quinn may look at him as Jets Bruce Irvin. By the way, interesting quote by Coples today in article in NJ Star Ledger about Quinn." Their defense is great.He definitely puts guys in position to actually make plays and be great." Hmmnn, shot at anybody?

I think Rex has so many different looks and coverages that it confuses some of the players and they find themselves out of position. If you have smart personnel (2009), Rex's defense can be a thing of beauty. Take intelligence out of the drafting equation and it can get ugly when there are breakdowns. This team as constructed now needs simple. JMO.

The Jets defense does seem to be out of position often.  Wonder if it's the scheme or simply not being coached all that well...Hopefully that changes with Quinn...

The Jets defense does seem to be out of position often.  Wonder if it's the scheme or simply not being coached all that well...Hopefully that changes with Quinn...

It had to do more with the revolving personnel and the talent of that personnel back there than anything else. Def backfields like the oline require communication and familiarity

with the guys playing beside you.

It had to do more with the revolving personnel and the talent of that personnel back there than anything else. Def backfields like the oline require communication and familiarity

with the guys playing beside you.

Isn't that a major function of a coach?  

If the team isn't capable of communicating properly, to dumb it down so they can?

I think Pryor would likely be the happiest player on the D. Kam Chancellor is the exact blue print of how Pryor should be used.

Ultimately, our DL could be just as good as Seattles without much tinkering, as Seattle has always kind of employed a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 type lineman. Coples would benefit here.

Yeah but Kam Chancelor is actually a good player.  Pryor sucks.  He might be average if he moves permanently to Strong Safety which is why I'd like to see us sign Devin McCourty to play free Safety.  I know McCourty is overrated because he's a Pat but he will probably be the best free agent coverage safety available.

while I appreciate all the speculation about what defense the defensive head coach will run, and how that will look 

and all the will they sign Mo threads, will Coples be JJ watt threads etc. 

the offense is the true disaster on the Jets. 

It's like we are in denial, as a fanbase. It's ignoring a gunshot wound and crying over a sprained ankle. 

Who cares about the defense? Really.

What are they going to do about the offense? 

Again, with as many nickel and dime sets and mutiple fronts, getting worked up about what the base defense is is an anachronism, like beepers or propeller planes. Every DC is gonna have an OLB line up with his and in the dirt, or drop a DE into coverage. And given how often they will be shuttling DBs in there on obvious passing downs, this is really pointless. The defense will be good enough; the offense is the disaster, and it's why the defense has often faltered late in games.

The front seven doesn't really change at all. People get hung up on terminology, especially the 3-4/4-3 thing, but functionally the line techniques are the same for Seattle's defense as they are in Rex's. Most base package plays are in over or under fronts which have four guys down playing hybrid gap assignments. Wilkerson is the strong side defensive end and mostly plays two gaps. Harrison is the nose tackle. Richardson is the three technique. The edge guy is called a Leo instead of a rush. It is all the same stuff. The real difference is the secondary. Rex uses man coverage and zone blitzes but Seattle plays almost all cover-3.

while I appreciate all the speculation about what defense the defensive head coach will run, and how that will look 

It's like we are in denial, as a fanbase. It's ignoring a gunshot wound and crying over a sprained ankle. 

Shocked theres not more people with this viewpoint. 

Regarding Dan Quinn: Seattles defense is very simple. They really trust their secondary and that allows them to bring a ton of pressure. Its a luxury no other team has so don't expect our defense to every look like that.  A 4-3 would be great tho. People say 3-4 and 4-3 are the same but thats straight BS. The responsibilities are totally different. You think its normal to see Quentin Coples lining up and bumping WR's? We have 4 bad ass players on that line that need to be rushing the QB at all times. 

Make your own damn thread then.  There's actually been some solid thoughts in here about how the Jets can improve under Quinn.  Rather than trying to squash discussion maybe just don't click the thread, k?

Better yet, I'll give you a fun topic for an alternative thread.  Explain to us how your boy Revis got burned repeatedly today by geriatric Steve Smith.  Now shoo.

Dan Quinn will be a disaster in New York "mark it down". he looks good because that defense is very talented on all phases. That is not Dan Quinn doing. this dude will suck. The JETS need offensive help not another defensive guy (just guy not guru) Rex was a guru not Dan Quinn

It's marked down, Nostradamus. Hopefully it comes back to haunt you for a decade

It's marked down, Nostradamus. Hopefully it comes back to haunt you for a decade

Trust me it ain't gonna haunt me my friend, believe that it will haunt the JETS if they decide to select this guy as HC.  Fans like you will be the ones burning jerseys and crying for the coaches head.  not me homie ...

Trust me it ain't gonna haunt me my friend, believe that it will haunt the JETS if they decide to select this guy as HC. Fans like you will be the ones burning jerseys and crying for the coaches head. not me homie ...

No problem, Manish

Archived