What would a Dan Quinn defense look like for the Jets?

Maxman

I don't know the answer. But I am hoping someone does. Seattle obviously gets an insane level of play out of their cornerbacks who are physical. So that is an issue that would need to be addressed here.

Otherwise, what would Quinn do with this defense? Coples? Harris? Davis? Pryor?

Probably the same as the Rex defense except less blitzing.

Everyone keeps saying "change to 4-3" but the personnel as always are more important than the scheme.  We need to sign a real #1 CB and a Safety + we will also need two starting-caliber OLB's if we switch to 4-3.

Start with a 4-3.

Mo, Coples DE.

Sheldon snacks DT.

Davis in the middle with the big guys keeping OL off him.

Drafted OLB one side and a vet on the other.

Allan FS Pryor SS

Milner and McDougle CB

Or something like that.

Diffrent coverages and blitz packages depending on the opponent.

Start with a 4-3.

Mo, Coples DE.

Sheldon snacks DT.

Davis in the middle with the big guys keeping OL off him.

Drafted OLB one side and a vet on the other.

Allan FS Amaro SS

Milner and McDougle CB

Or something like that.

Diffrent coverages and blitz packages depending on the opponent.

I think you meant Pryor. 

From my observations of SEA defense it's a hybrid like we are
used to except it's a 4-3 base.  We need to get faster in our
LB corps because SEA LB's cover sideline to sideline.  In
free agency you can expect us to go after:

Byron Maxwell CB (SEA)
Malcolm Smith LB (SEA)
Walter Thurmond CB (NYG)

I would expect to see Coples playing more DE and another speedy
LB added in the draft.  And we would let Harris walk in free
agency 

If we're working with what we have, this is what a makeshift D looks like. But in a perfect world, Wilkerson is playing inside, Coples at LDE and we get a true edge rusher to play RDE.

RDE Coples

DT Harrison

DT Richardson

LDE Wilkerson

OLB Davis

MLB Harris

OLB Reilly

S Jarrett

S Pryor

CB Marcus Williams

CB Darrin Walls

Probably the same as the Rex defense except less blitzing.

Everyone keeps saying "change to 4-3" but the personnel as always are more important than the scheme. We need to sign a real #1 CB and a Safety + we will also need two starting-caliber OLB's if we switch to 4-3.

A switch to 4-3 would be a two year transition to get all the pieces. 3-4 is just fine. Our D is not the issue. With sh*t playing at secondary, we still had a middle of the pack pass D n a #6 overall D. Why do we need the switch then? Rather use those resources on the OL n make it young again.

I'm not 100% confident in this - but here's a general sense coming from both following Seattle, reading some articles, and following Jacksonville a bit as they've tried to transition to this style of defense under Gus Bradley. I think KRL is generally on point.

Right now the Jets have 4 really good defensive linemen. They also go 285-290, 295, 315, and 350. A 4-3 front with three of those guys would be fine - all four is a bit of a stretch and they'd lose some athleticism. 

Seattle has done some different stuff historically. At points they've run a 4-3 under I believe it's called where you'd have something like Wilkerson two gapping on one side (they used to have Red Bryant do this), Harrison basically playing NT, Richardson playing the 3-tech, and a speed rusher the Jets probably don't have right now (Babin is the closest thing, Chris Clemons was the guy in the past) on Richardson's side lined up really wide. Then the linebackers are shifted towards Wilkerson's side. The theory there is that you've got Snacks eating up a couple of blockers, they're not going to want to run at Wilkerson and the linebackers, but you've got Sheldon and a speed rusher with another linebacker on the weak side. Might work pretty well, but there's no real spot for Coples.

What they do now, and what I'd kind of expect the Jets to do if Quinn comes along, is run a scheme with pretty typical 4-3 DL's. You've got a bigger LE who can rush the passer a bit, a speed rushing RE, and a couple of typical DT's. In this case the RE probably isn't on the roster (Jets don't really have a speed rusher - again maybe Babin), Coples plays LE since that's basically the position he should've played once he came into the league, and you've got Wilkerson and Richardson inside. I know people like to label Wilkerson as an end, but at 315 he's an interior guy in a 4-3 unless you need somebody in that Red Bryant role. That kind of leaves Snacks out in the cold - but I think maybe they tender him at the second round level and try to bait a team (wherever Rex lands if he gets a HC job?) into signing him. Alternatively, Wilkerson could be moved - but I don't think that's ideal.

At linebacker they've got athletic guys at WLB and MLB - in fact I believe their MLB is enough of an athlete to play outside. Davis was viewed as a 4-3 WLB when he came into the league but I could see him inside in this scheme too - really either of those spots. I don't know a ton about the difference between those positions in this scheme - presumably intelligence to make calls comes into play - but both are good athletes and physical. I don't think the Jets would bring back Harris for this scheme. The important part about Seattle's LB's is that the SLB is a "LEO" who functions as a pass rusher. The characteristics in a LEO aren't all that different than a 3-4 OLB with speed and athleticism maybe being a bit more significant. Bruce Irvin is their LEO right now. Jets could maybe put Babin or Pace there - but I don't think they have a long-term LEO either. Maybe Reilly could work his way into that role, but that's a big if.

In the secondary, length is prioritized in the corners over speed. They tend not to spend premium picks on corners either. Sounds pretty simple, but I think that's really the big portion of it. Long arms to break up passes and press/be physical. Sounds kind of weird, but after the Allen experiment at corner this past season I wonder if they'd try that again. He's not ideal, but generally has some of those similar traits and might be good in a system where he's asked to play more towards his strengths instead of trying to be Revis.

I have no idea what Quinn would want to do at safety because Thomas and Chancellor are so unique. Every team in the league would take an Earl Thomas if they could get one - you're not going to find someone to bring what he does. Ridiculously fast safety with cover skills who could probably play corner. And Chancellor is an enforcer who could probably play linebacker. Jacksonville drafted Cyprien who was percieved as a hitter with an underrated ability to play deep in the early second a couple of years ago, I think Pryor is kind of along those lines. Not sure what they're going to want to do with the other safety spot.

I'm not 100% confident in this - but here's a general sense coming from both following Seattle, reading some articles, and following Jacksonville a bit as they've tried to transition to this style of defense under Gus Bradley. I think KRL is generally on point.

Right now the Jets have 4 really good defensive linemen. They also go 285-290, 295, 315, and 350. A 4-3 front with three of those guys would be fine - all four is a bit of a stretch and they'd lose some athleticism. 

Seattle has done some different stuff historically. At points they've run a 4-3 under I believe it's called where you'd have something like Wilkerson two gapping on one side (they used to have Red Bryant do this), Harrison basically playing NT, Richardson playing the 3-tech, and a speed rusher the Jets probably don't have right now (Babin is the closest thing, Chris Clemons was the guy in the past) on Richardson's side lined up really wide. Then the linebackers are shifted towards Wilkerson's side. The theory there is that you've got Snacks eating up a couple of blockers, they're not going to want to run at Wilkerson and the linebackers, but you've got Sheldon and a speed rusher with another linebacker on the weak side. Might work pretty well, but there's no real spot for Coples.

What they do now, and what I'd kind of expect the Jets to do if Quinn comes along, is run a scheme with pretty typical 4-3 DL's. You've got a bigger LE who can rush the passer a bit, a speed rushing RE, and a couple of typical DT's. In this case the RE probably isn't on the roster (Jets don't really have a speed rusher - again maybe Babin), Coples plays LE since that's basically the position he should've played once he came into the league, and you've got Wilkerson and Richardson inside. I know people like to label Wilkerson as an end, but at 315 he's an interior guy in a 4-3 unless you need somebody in that Red Bryant role. That kind of leaves Snacks out in the cold - but I think maybe they tender him at the second round level and try to bait a team (wherever Rex lands if he gets a HC job?) into signing him. Alternatively, Wilkerson could be moved - but I don't think that's ideal.

At linebacker they've got athletic guys at WLB and MLB - in fact I believe their MLB is enough of an athlete to play outside. Davis was viewed as a 4-3 WLB when he came into the league but I could see him inside in this scheme too - really either of those spots. I don't know a ton about the difference between those positions in this scheme - presumably intelligence to make calls comes into play - but both are good athletes and physical. I don't think the Jets would bring back Harris for this scheme. The important part about Seattle's LB's is that the SLB is a "LEO" who functions as a pass rusher. The characteristics in a LEO aren't all that different than a 3-4 OLB with speed and athleticism maybe being a bit more significant. Bruce Irvin is their LEO right now. Jets could maybe put Babin or Pace there - but I don't think they have a long-term LEO either. Maybe Reilly could work his way into that role, but that's a big if.

In the secondary, length is prioritized in the corners over speed. They tend not to spend premium picks on corners either. Sounds pretty simple, but I think that's really the big portion of it. Long arms to break up passes and press/be physical. Sounds kind of weird, but after the Allen experiment at corner this past season I wonder if they'd try that again. He's not ideal, but generally has some of those similar traits and might be good in a system where he's asked to play more towards his strengths instead of trying to be Revis.

I have no idea what Quinn would want to do at safety because Thomas and Chancellor are so unique. Every team in the league would take an Earl Thomas if they could get one - you're not going to find someone to bring what he does. Ridiculously fast safety with cover skills who could probably play corner. And Chancellor is an enforcer who could probably play linebacker. Jacksonville drafted Cyprien who was percieved as a hitter with an underrated ability to play deep in the early second a couple of years ago, I think Pryor is kind of along those lines. Not sure what they're going to want to do with the other safety spot.

We don't do it anymore, but this is what we used to call POST OF THE WEEK.

I think Pryor would likely be the happiest player on the D. Kam Chancellor is the exact blue print of how Pryor should be used.

Ultimately, our DL could be just as good as Seattles without much tinkering, as Seattle has always kind of employed a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 type lineman. Coples would benefit here.

Wilkerson is wayyyy too slow to play DE in a 4-3. I think Richadson could handle it, but that's not a popular idea on this board when ive brought it up. But Mo is a perfect 4-3 DT.

He and Richardson inside at DT and NT with Coples and JPP on the outside would easily be the most disruptive 4 man front this league has seen in years. All 4 are game changers. Can't double team 4 guys.

First I ment Pryor at ss

But I can see Mo is big for a DE but he is very quick and I think he could handle it

Prob is two sapp type players and only one real DE.

If we're working with what we have, this is what a makeshift D looks like. But in a perfect world, Wilkerson is playing inside, Coples at LDE and we get a true edge rusher to play RDE.

RDE Coples

DT Harrison

DT Richardson

LDE Wilkerson

OLB Davis

MLB Harris

OLB Reilly

S Jarrett

S Pryor

CB Marcus Williams

CB Darrin Walls

Draft Randy Gregory in 1st round, and now you have a DL of Gregory, Wilk, Rich, Coples. With Snacks, Ellis, Douzable, and a vet FA DE on the cheap for rotation purposes.

I don't know the answer. But I am hoping someone does. Seattle obviousl gets an insane level of play out of their cornerbacks who are physical. So that is an issue that would need to be addressed here.

Otherwise, what would Quinn do with this defense? Coples? Harris? Davis? Pryor?

great post Max.

I think the allure of quinn is as much about the seahawks D as it is about the enthusiasm and true competition that pete carroll brings to seattle.    That was what woody was chasing with the Idzik hire.   while Idzik said all the right things he was essentially a stuffed suit without Carroll and Shneider.  

nobody knows what Quinn is going to bring to the table but the idea of chasing the seahwawks success doesn't appeal to me.   you can't recreate their success and frankly the D here was never the problem under Rex.   We need a HC who brings a total team view to the equation and build a winning offense, defense, and special teams.  

Quinn could be a great HC, or Bowles, or Marrone but none of it matters until this team figures out how to draft and develop a QB.   Brady, Flacco, Manning, Luck - that is the AFC final 4.  In today's NFL the HC is secondary to finding the right QB. 

I think Pryor would likely be the happiest player on the D. Kam Chancellor is the exact blue print of how Pryor should be used.

Ultimately, our DL could be just as good as Seattles without much tinkering, as Seattle has always kind of employed a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 type lineman. Coples would benefit here.

SEA spent a 5th rounder for their enforcer safety.

I don't know what our playbooks looked like with Rex Ryan but I think by now everybody in the NFL realizes he's way too much into the X's and O's, he tries to create the most confusing looks that ever existed...and rarely it works. In fact I think it's counter productive, does more damage than it does good for us. Quinn sounds like the exact opposite. No complicated blitz/cover schemes that confuse our own defenders, that slow our own defenders down. Just make your read and play ball.

We don’t have to go out there and come out with this master game plan,” said linebacker K.J. Wright. “Just regular ball, just read your keys and go. If you watch us, we run pretty much simple plays. It’s not a trick that we’re doing.”

But it’s a simplicity that players love. Defensive tackle Kevin Williams, now in his 12th year, has seen far too many coaches fail because they wanted to play game-plan mad scientist. “You get that a lot in the league,” said Williams, a first-year Hawk. “Sometimes, the coaches think up the perfect play, how to stop this or that. But when you simplify what you’re doing, everybody can play fast. Let us play faster.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/seahawks-quinn-mighty-jets-coach-article-1.2071217?cid=bitly

Loved the entire article and what Quinn stands for. His pedigree. I really hope we can land him because if there's one thing that needs to change (on defense) it's that the calls and reads should be simple. Let the guys play, let their skill make the plays. Don't put your "oh look at how big of a genius I am with my complicated blitz schemes" ego in the way of our defense. A lot of rah rah and in the end guys look confused, they blow coverages, they don't know what to do. Be that defensive genius who revolutionized the game somewhere else. I'm looking forward to us actually stopping somebody on 3rd and 30 next season with a basic cover 2 defense out of the dime formation with 4 corners covering 4 receivers, the 4 guys in the front going after the QB and 2 safeties deep. What is this oh let us blitz 6 guys from one side and leave the other side wide open so all the offense has to do is throw a screen and they get the 1st down with ease. And that has happened so many times in a similar way the last few years. So stupid.

Are you freaking kidding me? The reason why the Seahawks can run that simple defense is cause they have insane talent on that team.

Yeah, there's a lot of insane talent to be had in the 4th and 5th rounds. :screwy:

It couldn't possibly be the other way around, I know.

Archived