Marcus Gilchrist

jetscrazey

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets will visit with free agent SS Marcus Gilchrist.

Gilchrist is a quick-twitch safety with the ability to play slot corner. The Jets could put him to use in a Tyrann Mathieu-like role under new coach Todd Bowles, who utilized Mathieu was a movable chess piece with the Cardinals. Mar 10 - 5:22 PM

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6615/marcus-gilchrist

Sounds like a good player, but I was hoping that Antonio Allen could play that Safety/nickel hybrid. If Gilchrist can play FS effective that's definitely a plus though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I didn't realize how young this kid is. Only been in the league 4 years. Lots of upside considering he has played corner and can cover well. Gotta wonder why he ended up as FA

EDIT: Looking at his Wiki.. He has excelled every where he has been asked to play. He played the nickel in 2011 and 2012 and played it pretty damn well. He was then asked to move to S for 2013,2014 and did even better.

But couldn't we find one of these safeties in the 4th or 5th round.

Edit: Forgot we don't have our 5th round pick. So how about top of the 4th round where we are slotted to pick.

I would probably prefer this guy to a 4th or 5th round pick.  He is in the NFL.

The reason why Gilchrist is listed as a SS. He'll play FS here.

no, it is the reason he plays strong safety. SD does not play split safeties.  I can tell you one thing about him, he took over when When gregory went to the pats and their safety play improved.

With Revis on board this is so f*cking awesome!

Bowles & Mac are making sure that have versatility in the secondary to match up against anything teams can throw at them.

He blitzed more from nickel & dime sets than any DC in the league.

He's got Pryor in his 2nd year. Antonio Allen who has played safety & corner for us, he's now got Skrine in the slot, he'll hopefully have Cro on the 2nd receiver, and now they are closing in on Gilchrist another guy who has played both safety & CB!

Damn!

That's without even talking about Williams who played pretty damn well considering where he came from & Milliner and McDougle coming off injuries.

OMG! You put someone like Fowler in there rushing from the edge & this defense could be special when they start to jell. It will take some time but with out Dline & if we get a stud OLB in the draft, pump fakes will lead to nasty sacks!

Is it weird to get a gauge of the players ability through maddens eyes ??? I don't think so. I for one had no idea how good Gilchrist really was last year. He ranks mediocre but the switch to FS does help.

I think this is a legit way to figure it all out.

I don't think this deal is getting done. We still have to save some money for the rookies.

FYI rookie class salaries are extremely low. Expect $3-4MM cap space for #Jets. See last year's rookie cap here: http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap-2014.php 

Based on what I'm reading it sounds like the Jets have about $15 million left  so with rookies taking 3-4 leaves 11 give or take

I think there's enough room left to possibly sign either Gilcrest or Shorts, and extend Mo to a front-loaded deal.  Then address remaining needs in the draft with 2 of the top 38 picks.

I think you'll be able to sign them both and give Mo a new contract. CREATIVITY!

JETS are fixing the defense through FA, all offense and young talent through the draft.  WR, RD, QB, Oline.  GENO you may be on your way out depending on your performance in camp  

pzzzzz  out bruh  :sign0174:

Good chance 6th overall pick will be a pass rusher also need depth at ILB

Yep, I mean we have still have Pace and Babin and I know they want an upgrade of over one of them...   However we do have IK (edge rusher) and Reilly (olb/de) who looked good in limited action last year.  I think it is going to come down to BPA.  

I would drool if Fowler fell to us at pick 6, but if they go OL or WR or trade i wont cry. I think they have addressed needs pretty well in free agency and i have faith in them until proven otherwise.

FYI rookie class salaries are extremely low. Expect $3-4MM cap space for #Jets. See last year's rookie cap here: http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap-2014.php …

Based on what I'm reading it sounds like the Jets have about $15 million left  so with rookies taking 3-4 leaves 11 give or take

As it stands, I think we've only got a 1, 2, 3, 4 and two 7's in this year's draft. 

Archived