the two bad coaching decisions

RoadFan

Clearly some positives today.  But they beat a bad football team.

The first poor decision was the challenge.  Nuff said.

The second was not attempting an on-side kick when leading by 11 and kicking off from the 50.  A failed on-side kick, at worst, gives them the ball at the 35 or 40.  So you sacrifice 15-20 yards for a chance to maintain possession and score again to ice the game.

The second was not attempting an on-side kick when leading by 11 and kicking off from the 50.  A failed on-side kick, at worst, gives them the ball at the 35 or 40.  So you sacrifice 15-20 yards for a chance to maintain possession and score again to ice the game.

I don't necessarily agree.

We had 3 timeouts left with about 4 min left in the first half or so. No reason to go into the half holding on to three timeouts. Bowles is a new HC and will make mistakes of course, but the challenge isn't one of them if he didn't get the firm intel that it was a catch. Take the chance. He's trying to win the game and that was a big play. 

The KO from the 50 was a potential opportunity for something. I agree with that one albeit not necessarily with an onsides, but something.

We had 3 timeouts left with about 4 min left in the first half or so. No reason to go into the half holding on to three timeouts. Bowles is a new HC and will make mistakes of course, but the challenge isn't one of them if he didn't get the firm intel that it was a catch. Take the chance. He's trying to win the game and that was a big play. 

The KO from the 50 was a potential opportunity for something. I agree with that one albeit not necessarily with an onsides, but something.

31-10 and we are going to nitpick challenges?   the only risk with that challenge is if it's a close game in the second half and the Jets don't get a 3rd challenge.   I think Bowles knew it was a longshot but the risk reward was worth the chance.   it wasn't a great challenge but there was little downside given the situation.

Bowles is new HC and folks are comparing him to a coach who was here for 6 years!!!

Will Bowles make poor descisions?

Of course!!!

But to nitpick on phantom wrong doing is nuts and tells you something about our fan base.  

Good Grief.  

Why?

The only coaching mistake that bothers me is a 4th and 1 run to Tommy-BO and not Ivory

Agreed. That play drove me nuts. It's basically a gimmick play because if there isn't a hole, he isn't getting the first down. If you hand off to Ivory, he doesn't need a hole to get 1 yard. They tried that play last year a few times and seemed to never work. Bohanon should stick to blocking or the occasional screen pass/run when the game is out of hand. We can't be puling that nonsense against real teams. 

With that said, I have zero complaints about today's game. We won and we won big. Mistakes happen, especially in week 1. We did not play a very good game and still won by 21.

The challenge was inexplicable. I wonder if maybe Bowles got bad info from the video guy? (Insert Patriots joke here)

I'm cool with some early communication problems and bumps. It was his first game. To be honest the Jets have had way too much luck with first year head coaches. The past 3 jabronis made the playoffs their first year and thought themselves flawlessly invincible because of it. It's time for a change, let's have some ****-ups to build on.

Pretty happy for the coaching staff.  They had some adversity off the bat and adjusted well.  

The play calling on the turn overs on downs was terrible.  Really didnt understand that one bit.  It was like they were trying to prove a point or something.

Challenge was awful.

Couldnt tell if the Browns who have a great OL were just blocking really well or if the blitz packages just werent effective but I have some concerns about it. 

Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty solid day for the coaching staff.  

Agreed. That play drove me nuts. It's basically a gimmick play because if there isn't a hole, he isn't getting the first down. If you hand off to Ivory, he doesn't need a hole to get 1 yard. They tried that play last year a few times and seemed to never work. Bohanon should stick to blocking or the occasional screen pass/run when the game is out of hand. We can't be puling that nonsense against real teams. 

With that said, I have zero complaints about today's game. We won and we won big. Mistakes happen, especially in week 1. We did not play a very good game and still won by 21.

Most coaches seem to love the FB dive play for some reason and it just never seems to work.

nothing wrong with cleaning a few things up. 

I didnt like 2 pass plays called late in the 4th.  Im not one to be conservative but there was not reason to throw in either of those situations.

First game.  New coach.  Lots of new personnel.  Nothing wrong with you blowing it out your ass, stronzo,

can't believe people can't be happy with putting down an ass whooping.

Wait until baseball season is over and Stoic makes his triumphant return.  My regular Mets forum makes JN look sane by comparison.  Of course, much easier to nit-pick about the minutia of baseball, since less knowledge of the sport is required to bitch and moan about absolutely nothing of substance. The breadth and depth of stupidity there is limitless. 

Archived