Post Game Speech

KRL

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seemed very subdued even giving his "excited" war victory yell. I'm not an analyst but it seems are 2 likely reasons people are this subdued when the focus of a room is on them.

One, the person is in complete control. He is a puppeteer, and the puppeteer does not act and perform for the entertainment of the puppets. He knows (or thinks he knows) he is the master, and he exudes this through confidence in his own competence, rather than through being the loudest to hide his lack of it. 

Two, it is the opposite (of sorts). As in a lack of confidence; or in a word, he's just shy in this regard. That public speaking is far from where he's most comfortable (that comfort level being more direct, personal interaction with an individual or small number of individuals, rather than a sea of faces in a crowd of relative strangers). 

There's a third, which I don't believe applies to Bowles, but is theoretically possible. That he's quiet because he's a fraud, knows he's a fraud, and is smart enough to want to conceal this fraud-ness from others, lest they discover it. The less he says, the less likely (or less quickly) he will be outed as the charlatan he is. Too many players speak too well of Bowles, and too many other coaches have proudly associated with him and promoted him from within, for me to believe he's just a quiet fraud who's smart enough to conceal it by following the Mark Twain (?) rule of "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." I could follow this rule myself sometimes, as could a good many others here. :)

I honestly don't know which (of the first two) it is with Bowles because, like everyone else here, I've only seen what he has allowed us to see. We all want to believe it's the first,  and some will surely project this desire as knowledge, since it seems to be the more naturally flattering of the two. The truth, though, is he can be a great HC and put together a winner no matter which of those first 2 reasons applies to him. Being naturally shy in front of a crowd - if this even applies to him - in no way infers any lack of intelligence or any confidence in himself as a coach. 

It's interesting (to me), but in the end it's not important which, so long as he commands the respect of the team. He certainly seems to have that.

I find Belichick to be a bit awkward in front of the camera. I agree that whether it's one or two, that it will not be the cause of Bowles' success or failure as a coach.

We've already been though a carnival barker. No thanks.

if Rex was coaching this team in London, you know they would have been out sight seeing all 2 days, doing god knows what - but definitely not preparing.

by all accounts Bowles had this team completely understanding this was a business trip.  the players can afford to goto London in the off season to sight see. 

Dave & Buster's Exports Its Concept to England, Opening First-Ever International Location

Seemed very subdued even giving his "excited" war victory yell. I'm not an analyst but it seems are 2 likely reasons people are this subdued when the focus of a room is on them.

One, the person is in complete control. He is a puppeteer, and the puppeteer does not act and perform for the entertainment of the puppets. He knows (or thinks he knows) he is the master, and he exudes this through confidence in his own competence, rather than through being the loudest to hide his lack of it. 

Two, it is the opposite (of sorts). As in a lack of confidence; or in a word, he's just shy in this regard. That public speaking is far from where he's most comfortable (that comfort level being more direct, personal interaction with an individual or small number of individuals, rather than a sea of faces in a crowd of relative strangers). 

There's a third, which I don't believe applies to Bowles, but is theoretically possible. That he's quiet because he's a fraud, knows he's a fraud, and is smart enough to want to conceal this fraud-ness from others, lest they discover it. The less he says, the less likely (or less quickly) he will be outed as the charlatan he is. Too many players speak too well of Bowles, and too many other coaches have proudly associated with him and promoted him from within, for me to believe he's just a quiet fraud who's smart enough to conceal it by following the Mark Twain (?) rule of "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." I could follow this rule myself sometimes, as could a good many others here. :)

I honestly don't know which (of the first two) it is with Bowles because, like everyone else here, I've only seen what he has allowed us to see. We all want to believe it's the first,  and some will surely project this desire as knowledge, since it seems to be the more naturally flattering of the two. The truth, though, is he can be a great HC and put together a winner no matter which of those first 2 reasons applies to him. Being naturally shy in front of a crowd - if this even applies to him - in no way infers any lack of intelligence or any confidence in himself as a coach. 

It's interesting (to me), but in the end it's not important which, so long as he commands the respect of the team. He certainly seems to have that.

This certainly isn't as exciting as your ideas, but most likely he was raised in a family/culture where outward displays of emotion where not the norm and verbal communication was largely for the purpose of conveying information, and his subdued personality is the result of this upbringing.

This certainly isn't as exciting as your ideas, but most likely he was raised in a family/culture where outward displays of emotion where not the norm and verbal communication was largely for the purpose of conveying information, and his subdued personality is the result of this upbringing.

Pfft, what do you know about such things?

He seems somewhat uncomfortable with public speaking to me, which is why he forces a lot of half-smiles like a mask to cover up his insecurity with the public speaking forum (not suggesting insecurity with his coaching ability). It's a coping mechanism. The only way it will change is if/when he's kept it all bottled up until he explodes uncontrollably and sets fire to the building or himself. Or until/unless he finally gets the wild sex he's been deprived of his whole life. Really, it's all about sex. Everything is. You'd know that if you knew anything about the human psyche. Take an online class or read some amateur message forums about it. I did, and look at how much I know. 

Finally got a chance to watch this.  Its nice to see both offense and defense enamored with Bowles.  Just look at Giacomini's face when Bowles is talking, you can tell he is hanging on his every word.  Also was that Giacomini leading the closing huddle chant?  Pretty cool to see him more vocal.

I really like this dude.

2 of my favorite takes from that short clip:

They clearly focused on getting off to a fast start, something that had been an issue every week till yesterday.  To make that change on a road game in London was very impressive. 

He knows they're too sloppy.  Way too many penalties from this team over the first few weeks.  That first TD, was basically given to the Dolphags. 

Those are my 2 biggest concerns when it comes to preparation.  At least he got ahead of one of them this week. 

His lack of intensity is a concern to me.

He is prepared, and is a good X's and O's guy.

But, he's a little too laid back.

Ummm Noooo.

Perhaps because he isn't a bombastic blowhard, or someone mumbling about "its a process", or someone losing track of the clock and talking about sweeeping corners your are confused.

What you are witnessing is how a professional HC conducts his business and its been a long time coming....

Ummm Noooo.

Perhaps because he isn't a bombastic blowhard, or someone mumbling about "its a process", or someone losing track of the clock and talking about sweeeping corners your are confused.

What you are witnessing is how a professional HC conducts his business and its been a long time coming....

One can be professional without being laid back.

I was simply making an observation about his communication style.

Someone else pointed out that he is more intense behind closed doors, which is good.

I can't imagine what that must have been like, at all. :pours bourbon:

One can be professional without being laid back.

I was simply making an observation about his communication style.

Someone else pointed out that he is more intense behind closed doors, which is good.

Reminds me of Chuck Knoll. For you young 'uns that's a compliment.

Pfft, what do you know about such things?

He seems somewhat uncomfortable with public speaking to me, which is why he forces a lot of half-smiles like a mask to cover up his insecurity with the public speaking forum (not suggesting insecurity with his coaching ability). It's a coping mechanism. The only way it will change is if/when he's kept it all bottled up until he explodes uncontrollably and sets fire to the building or himself. Or until/unless he finally gets the wild sex he's been deprived of his whole life. Really, it's all about sex. Everything is. You'd know that if you knew anything about the human psyche. Take an online class or read some amateur message forums about it. I did, and look at how much I know. 

LOL  That was awesome.

I think the knute rockne, rah-rah stuff, while exciting, is pretty over-rated. Yes, some great ones were like that. But others, like Tom Landry for example, were like bookworms when you watched them in public. Tom Bowles has a really strong air of self assuredness about him that I'm guessing has a strong affect on his players. I don't think we've had anyone like that as Jets coach before or since Bill Parcells, who is Bowles's mentor. 

We beat one of the worst teams in the league.  His demenor is exactly how it should be.  If we beat NE in 3 weeks, then you will see a different todd bowles.  

Would love to see him act the same way if we beat the Pats. Never get too high on any win and take it as if its business as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to see him act the same way if we beat the Pats. Never get too high on any win and take it as if its business as usual.

That's a good point.

We need to stop treating New England regular season games like they are our Super Bowl.

It would be interesting to see our record the weeks after we face NE.  I bet it's horrible.

Emotion can sometime be a good thing.  Sometimes you can motivate players and teams to play over themselves.  The problem is that many times (see Bills this year, Jets in past years) that emotion can either bring you down or run amok.  I would imagine, when we need it, he may amp things up, but they will always have their even-keel preparations to fall back on.

Finally got a chance to watch this.  Its nice to see both offense and defense enamored with Bowles.  Just look at Giacomini's face when Bowles is talking, you can tell he is hanging on his every word.  Also was that Giacomini leading the closing huddle chant?  Pretty cool to see him more vocal.

Did you see the look on Breno's face at about 33 seconds in, when Bowles yells and raises his hand to get their attention to tell them not to be late? I don't know if Breno was playing around, but he kinda flinched. His smile quickly fades and he goes wide-eyed. Once second he was thinking, "Aw yeah, we're gonna have a week off, sweet!" then the next he was like,  "Oh, sh*t coach is talking, better pay attention."

Did you see the look on Breno's face at about 33 seconds in, when Bowles yells and raises his hand to get their attention to tell them not to be late? I don't know if Breno was playing around, but he kinda flinched. His smile quickly fades and he goes wide-eyed. Once second he was thinking, "Aw yeah, we're gonna have a week off, sweet!" then the next he was like,  "Oh, sh*t coach is talking, better pay attention."

No doubt, its great to see.  Winning helps everything obviously but still to see a bunch of grown men show the amount of respect i see when they are around Coach Bowles or when Coach is speaking.  Very positive, very very positive signs.

He's not laid back, He's just real. You've been desensitized (we all have) from Rex. I thought the same thing but watching him more behind the scenes you see he gets amped. But yeah we went from Rex to chill.

He's not laid back, He's just real. You've been desensitized (we all have) from Rex. I thought the same thing but watching him more behind the scenes you see he gets amped. But yeah we went from Rex to chill.

I'm not comparing him to Rex.  Rex was a clown, and became a caricature of himself.  There was no substance behind anything he said.

Bowles definitely knows his sh*t.  I have no doubt about that.

I'm just interested to see his style when he really has to come down on someone, or on the team as a whole.  Can he crack the whip when needed?

He was almost apologetic when he told the team they need to cut down on penalties.

We beat one of the worst teams in the league.  His demenor is exactly how it should be.  If we beat NE in 3 weeks, then you will see a different todd bowles.  

I sure hope not and doubt it to be quite honest. People can knock him all they want, but you can't fake your way through the NFL. You get exposed immediately, from that point it's just a matter of how long your owner sits on his hands. Case in point Joe Philbin. From day one you could tell that guy does not have what takes to lead an NFL team. If you couldn't then you were blind. Philbin was the poster child of cowardice and a lack of direction. His face on almost every tv appearance looked like he literally just had a blindfold ripped off his face and "surprise!!! You're coaching the MIA Dolphins!!"

Bowles has a quiet confidence. When he answers questions from the media you can tell he is patient and ensuring he tells them exactly what he feels he needs to tell and nothing more. He pulls no punches and will look for areas of improvement. He emphasizes ball control, field position, and turnovers. And every ounce of execution on the field has demonstrated that thus far.

Archived