Insider Buzz: NFL GM Expects Goff to Go No. 1 Overall; 'Smartest QB Since Luck'

JETSfaninNE

Could a team move up to the No. 1 overall pick in the draft to select quarterback Jared Goff? Is he already drawing comparisons to Andrew Luck?

Watch as Matt Miller breaks down what one general manager told him about the quarterback prospect out of Cal.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2625494-insider-buzz-nfl-gm-expects-goff-to-go-no-1-overall-smartest-qb-since-luck

Could the Jets sneakily make the biggest move on Draft day?

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I got to say, Goff stock is all over the place. I've seen some that have him dropping to us if teams like the Rams/Browns trade/pick up their QB via FA. Now he can go as high as 1. This draft will be interesting. 

I honestly don't know much about Goff.  I've been more interested in Wentz personally but it seems he's all but a lock for the Browns.  I guess both their pro days will be more telling and then we'll really start to hear some crazy rumors and the rest of the FA QB chips will fall into place.

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Doubtful.  Barring Wilkerson being considered a major bargaining chip in a deal with the Titans, it would cost the Jets all of this year's and next year's picks to try to make such a move.  I really can't see that happening.

In a related story Woody Johnson just hired Mike Ditka as a special consultant to the draft.

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Could a team move up to the No. 1 overall pick in the draft to select quarterback Jared Goff? Is he already drawing comparisons to Andrew Luck?

Watch as Matt Miller breaks down what one general manager told him about the quarterback prospect out of Cal.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2625494-insider-buzz-nfl-gm-expects-goff-to-go-no-1-overall-smartest-qb-since-luck

well,.. we all know nfl teams NEVER  " blow smoke "  re the draft / players   :cool:

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

48 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I honestly don't know much about Goff.  I've been more interested in Wentz personally but it seems he's all but a lock for the Browns.  I guess both their pro days will be more telling and then we'll really start to hear some crazy rumors and the rest of the FA QB chips will fall into place.

Me too. I've been really busy the past 2 months and really couldnt dive into the rookie class. I do like what I seen from Wentz so far. 

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

by the time we get to the draft, TEN will have auctioned off the top pick and the QB's go 1, 2. 

just like basically every other year

Good chance of that, I agree. Especially with the change in compensation for young QBs who haven't accomplished anything yet (but merely haven't been colossal disasters yet). Used to be sometimes a meh guy could get a decent 2nd contract filled with incentives, but with easy outs after like 1 season without destroying the team. Now you're seeing guys who have shown to fall on their faces at least somewhat, who have nothing notable to offset that other than their draft status and later birthdate, are getting contracts with a higher yearly rate than pretty much any non-QB in the game.

So yeah, there's a really good chance of that happening any year where it's not "known" that it's a weak (or lousy) class that's particularly weak at the top.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

by the time we get to the draft, TEN will have auctioned off the top pick and the QB's go 1, 2. 

just like basically every other year

This is how I see it, too. I guess he could bomb his Pro Day and that plus the small hands could lead to a Bridgewater-like fall, but it sure feels like that was an opportunity we're never going to see again.

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Eventually a top drafted QB will have to go Archie Manning/Eli on the Browns.  I mean come on already!

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I can honestly see this happening. 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

this is a crap draft

fixt

I like Goff, want a QB, and do think you'd have to trade up to 1 to get the one you want. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Somebody is gonna have Joey Bosa fall in their laps at 3 4 or 5 and be very goddamn happy. 

Phil Rivers kinda earned it THO, no? 

All I can really go on is the highlight reel stuff on NFLN and ESPN.

with that said, what jumps out at me in those highlights is that goff is moving around-either by design or forced- and still shows accuracy. Also looked real accurate in combine drills that I saw. 

I'm starting to think he's better than wentz. I didn't think that last week.

what does this mean for us? Jack sh*t

2 hours ago, Larz said:

smokescreen, lol

this is a crap QB draft

False narrative, it's only because the top guys mostly played in pro-style offenses and didn't put up gaudy numbers or win a Heisman.

The top are actually all accurate, pro style experienced, good arms and pretty smart.

8 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

False narrative, it's only because the top guys mostly played in pro-style offenses and didn't put up gaudy numbers or win a Heisman.

The top are actually all accurate, pro style experienced, good arms and pretty smart.

forget mayock and the mock drafters, they have a plan written out on how they are going to move guys up and down and hype them.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/03/nfl_scout_on_2016_draft_worst_offensive_talent_in.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000592933/article/scout-id-hate-to-be-team-in-need-of-qb-in-2016-nfl-draft

people are going to talk themselves into a QB, not what you want

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

forget mayock and the mock drafters, they have a plan written out on how they are going to move guys up and down and hype them.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/03/nfl_scout_on_2016_draft_worst_offensive_talent_in.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000592933/article/scout-id-hate-to-be-team-in-need-of-qb-in-2016-nfl-draft

Undoubtedly.

You think I'm basing this on where mockers slot them every two weeks?

I could also show you links with respected people saying the complete opposite of your links. What's your point?

Wentz and Goff have many particular strengths that correlate to the nfl game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I got to say, Goff stock is all over the place. I've seen some that have him dropping to us if teams like the Rams/Browns trade/pick up their QB via FA. Now he can go as high as 1. This draft will be interesting. 

Hes not dropping to 20

2 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Smartest "since" Luck. 

We're talking guys like EJ Manual, Jameis, Geno and Manziel. These are guys Joewilly12 could crush taking the Wonderlic while posting his lasted FA thread.

And Luck was the smartest since Peyton?

The point would then be that in 20 years there have been a handful of smart QBs.  Not how many dumb ones there were but how hard it is to find a smart one.

18 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes because NFL teams tell everyone the truth about prospects they love, and don't love even as anonymous sources to the media :rolleyes:.

I would say though, it's not as big a secret anymore. Stuff like this. It's gotten so big so fast. I feel like you'd use to see more misdirection and false rumors like 10 years ago and not so/as much nowadays. At least in more straight up evaluation.

There's so much information out there you're really not tricking anyone anymore.

Archived