Cro can't find a job....bring him back on the cheap?

jetscrazey

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You wouldn't know truth if it hit you square in the face so now you stopped negative repping all my posts and have grown some balls to argue on the board LOL bring it on. 

Never have neg repped all of your posts ... Just the dumb ones

... I've always been happy to argue with you anytime ... Even you should have been able to learn that by now!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, win4ever said:

He's not ideal, especially because he's horrible at tackling.  I think it's worth a shot in camp though, because he's a guy that can cover at times, so it helps be versatile at times, especially with blitzes.  I think he should be a backup type to Gilchrist, whom Bowles seems to love.

That's a backup CB not a backup S. Gilchrist is just a different type of player, even though he was also a converted corner. Even looking back to his pre-draft writeups, he was projected as a 'tweener zone corner or safety from the get go. The two are as opposite as two corners can be. 

When he was on his a-game, Cromartie's skills - aided greatly by being tall, fast, and very athletic - are sticking with his man like a blanket, performing reliably even in cover-0 in a way scarce few had the physical skills to do. His man goes deep, Cro goes deep, he runs in, Cro runs in, etc. There's no evidence that he has the understanding of multiple players' route trees or combinations, and general quick-diagnosing the play - and where his help is needed to shade to most, and when he should switch off one man in favor of another mid-play. To say nothing of, as you brought up, being any type of usefulness tackling ballcarriers. He didn't even rack up 30 tackles in his 15 starts last year, and how many of that lowly number were just nothing-taps as the receiver's momentum after the catch was taking him to the ground or OOB anyway? That doesn't even enumerate the number of missed tackles he had, and he had a bunch.

Cromartie's just not a safety. If he could be, then let someone else try to find out.

Always been a Cro fan

Yes he's lost a step, yes he was getting torched 1st half of the year, but his coverage was better in the 2nd half and giving him a minimum deal to be a part of the CB rotation with Marcus Williams and Milliner isn't the worse idea in the world...

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I suggested trying him at Safety last year and the board roasted me; there is a difference however, between zone coverage and playing the out fielder. He also isn't a great tackler, but his is big and fast (still pretty fast) and can be that guy who can be the last line of defense when someone goes deep and beats a CB; the real advantage if you have one under and one over, the window gets tight for the QB and that can lead to turnovers or sacks with an aggressive D-line.

The big problem is that his technique was never great and he made up for it with his athleticism. And of course, that is declining. But he is a good guy and loves the Jets, so I don't see any problem with taking a shot in TC.

See my above post (didn't see yours until after I'd posted it). Sure, physically he should be able to do it. Of course, physically he should also have been a reliable tackler his whole career just based on his size and athleticism, yet midget slot corners are far better at it. Mentally I just don't see him knowing what to do in space, unless you just want his speed to help chase down someone who got past Marcus or something.

Being a good guy and loving the Jets are nice, and I'm sympathetic to, but that shouldn't give him a roster spot. In a way his history with the team could backfire, as he surely has a lot of clout in the locker room with some egos clashing, and he would be holding a season-long roster spot often reserved for guys who bounce on and off the practice squad depending on where we need the extra spot that week.

I don't see him learning a new position for which he's ill-suited. Only usefulness I can see is - as you allude to - specifically doubling up on 1 receiver. But then it means the other team can plan for this and decoy that receiver to clear out space underneath (or deep, or to one sideline, or away from the sideline, or just away from wherever they want to go in general). It's too easy to scheme around. Otherwise why is he here; just to put him out there to be deep help on one burner WR on 3rd & 25? 

I mean Cro could be waiting for the market to open up in training camp (injuries, etc.). Or maybe his plan is to skip most of training camp and then sign esp if there are more openings via injuries. But not sure he will sign for low money. 

TRADE FOR JOE THOMAS.

I think he's owed a little over 8mil this year. If we don't try to bring back Fitz (which is what I think we WILL do). I'm willing to give up a draft pick for Joe Thomas and cut Breno. Thomas can start at LT and Clady can be moved to RT. If Winters can be decent and Clady stays healthy, the Jets will potentially have one of the best O-lines in the NFL- particularly at OT and C. Which would be HUGE for Geno.

Forget Cro. There's no reason to bring him in. I'd rather give our backup CBs and Safeties more snaps. 

Cro has lost his only 2 top tier assets - his otherworldly speed and athleticism.

hes not some great locker room presence, he's a bad tackler, he took plays off at times, didnt take great angles, simply - I see him as a terrible fit for an aging transition to safety. I appreciate his past contributions for which he got paid a princely sum- I call us even and complete.

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Seriously though, sure why not. He is better than Milliner and what about his return skills.

I'm not sure he's better than Milliner.  More durable for sure but as a coverage CB he either has to guess right or he will get torched...

Always like Cro.   Wouldn't mind having him on the team as a back up.  Problem is, under the CBA vets min  for a vet with his years, is close to a million dollars.   A rookie is half that.

i'd keep his number on speed dial in case of injury, or the young guys fail

Cromartie is a good teammate and he seems to really love playing for this organization, but roster spots in the secondary need to be treated with care right now. The Jets need to focus on devoting resources in the secondary to finding some younger and more importantly cheap CBs for the future. It would suck if they had to burn yet another first rounder on a corner anytime soon.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Being a good guy and loving the Jets are nice, and I'm sympathetic too....

I don't see him learning a new position for which he's ill-suited. Only usefulness I can see is - as you allude to - specifically doubling up on 1 receiver 

Yes, he needs to 'earn' his spot. I was just suggesting giving him a shot in TC; if he can't win the spot, then that is another story.

Not likely going to be successful, but it has happened before. He could play center field and with his speed and ball skills cover the hot receiver; again, if he can't do it effectively, he shouldn't make the team.

Another advantage of him being in camp, is that he will get up to speed; he can be released before the start of the season. If Milliner goes down (etc.), he can be pulled in mid-season.

I read a lot of posts about Cro moving to safety.   Only win4ever mentioned why that is a lousy idea.

Cro is a horrible tackler that hates contact. Important part of playing safety. 

Does anyone want Cro being the last guy between the ball carrier and the end zone?

17 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Yes, he needs to 'earn' his spot. I was just suggesting giving him a shot in TC; if he can't win the spot, then that is another story.

Not likely going to be successful, but it has happened before. He could play center field and with his speed and ball skills cover the hot receiver; again, if he can't do it effectively, he shouldn't make the team.

Another advantage of him being in camp, is that he will get up to speed; he can be released before the start of the season. If Milliner goes down (etc.), he can be pulled in mid-season.

I think he could still be pulled midseason whether he's here this summer or not. Too much coach's pet to give him a "tryout" of sorts. I'd rather give others first dibs on those tryouts and if/when enough fail, then he can be given a shot. Frankly he's better off personally to wait for a CB injury over the summer than waste time on a tryout, not even as a demotion to his natural position, but to a position for which he's wholly ill-suited.

Frankly I could make an argument he'd be more successful converting to WR than S. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he could still be pulled midseason whether he's here this summer or not. Too much coach's pet to give him a "tryout" of sorts. I'd rather give others first dibs on those tryouts and if/when enough fail, then he can be given a shot. Frankly he's better off personally to wait for a CB injury over the summer than waste time on a tryout, not even as a demotion to his natural position, but to a position for which he's wholly ill-suited.

Frankly I could make an argument he'd be more successful converting to WR than S. 

I agree, I don't see him as a Safety at all.

If you want to put him back there, rename the position to, "Interceptor". He could just go for the pick every time. If it is a running play just have him head to the sidelines. Despite his size, he just doesn't have the heart to tackle. Ever.

Although he will need to tackle his mounting debt problem if he doesn't get signed by somebody.

Just now, Maxman said:

I agree, I don't see him as a Safety at all.

If you want to put him back there, rename the position to, "Interceptor". He could just go for the pick every time. If it is a running play just have him head to the sidelines. Despite his size, he just doesn't have the heart to tackle. Ever.

Although he will need to tackle his mounting debt problem if he doesn't get signed by somebody.

Hiyooooo!

On 7/16/2016 at 4:33 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh FFS. The Jets are loaded at safety and you want to sign a guy who can't tackle and move him out of his natural position? 

Also, you aren't bringing him back to be the kick returner either. If you bring him back for cheap, it's to play corner. That's it. And I'm good with that. Because as bad as he was last season, he was still better than Skrine and I don't fully trust Williams in an expanded role. 

Why can't he kick return? He's would (presumably) be signed cheap, therefore the injury downside isn't as high because he's not a high contract player.   How are they loaded at safety?  You have Pryor, Gilchrist as starters, and then who?  Rontez Miles? Dion Bailey?  How are they loaded?

I'm not saying it's a must sign or anything, but the Jets could use the help at kick returner, and at this stage of the career, Cromartie is better suited playing downhill.  

On 7/16/2016 at 9:11 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

That's a backup CB not a backup S. Gilchrist is just a different type of player, even though he was also a converted corner. Even looking back to his pre-draft writeups, he was projected as a 'tweener zone corner or safety from the get go. The two are as opposite as two corners can be. 

When he was on his a-game, Cromartie's skills - aided greatly by being tall, fast, and very athletic - are sticking with his man like a blanket, performing reliably even in cover-0 in a way scarce few had the physical skills to do. His man goes deep, Cro goes deep, he runs in, Cro runs in, etc. There's no evidence that he has the understanding of multiple players' route trees or combinations, and general quick-diagnosing the play - and where his help is needed to shade to most, and when he should switch off one man in favor of another mid-play. To say nothing of, as you brought up, being any type of usefulness tackling ballcarriers. He didn't even rack up 30 tackles in his 15 starts last year, and how many of that lowly number were just nothing-taps as the receiver's momentum after the catch was taking him to the ground or OOB anyway? That doesn't even enumerate the number of missed tackles he had, and he had a bunch.

Cromartie's just not a safety. If he could be, then let someone else try to find out.

The tackling to me is the big issue with it because he's horrible as a tackler.  However, I think as a cover safety, I think he could actually be decent, especially in a limited role.  Cromartie was good as a cover corner in man, but his skills have eroded somewhat in terms of actually covering guys, especially fast shifty guys.  But in special packages, where the Jets can go with a single safety, I think he can contribute.  I don't think he's going to be a starter, but he should atleast be better than Rontez Miles. 

I would atleast give him a non-guaranteed contract and let him try safety out in the pre-season.  

On July 16, 2016 at 0:30 AM, jetscrazey said:

Seems like nobody wants to give Cromartie good money.  He struggled the 1st half of last season but got healthy and was solid the 2nd half of the season, Bowles said as much.  His family is situated here in NJ.  What do you say, bring him back on the cheap?

Lol cro is terrible.. We have plenty of depth at CB.. 

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

Why can't he kick return? He's would (presumably) be signed cheap, therefore the injury downside isn't as high because he's not a high contract player.   How are they loaded at safety?  You have Pryor, Gilchrist as starters, and then who?  Rontez Miles? Dion Bailey?  How are they loaded?

I'm not saying it's a must sign or anything, but the Jets could use the help at kick returner, and at this stage of the career, Cromartie is better suited playing downhill.  

The tackling to me is the big issue with it because he's horrible as a tackler.  However, I think as a cover safety, I think he could actually be decent, especially in a limited role.  Cromartie was good as a cover corner in man, but his skills have eroded somewhat in terms of actually covering guys, especially fast shifty guys.  But in special packages, where the Jets can go with a single safety, I think he can contribute.  I don't think he's going to be a starter, but he should atleast be better than Rontez Miles. 

I would atleast give him a non-guaranteed contract and let him try safety out in the pre-season.  

He'd be a terrible safety and he's not that great at kick returning. You don't sign a guy like Cro to just be a kick returner. You need more than just a guy like that. There are better returners already on the team. 

Archived