The Way To Look At It: The Jets Have a 4-Day Season

SAR I

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had already posted this same thing.

1st two games are huge but so far the Jets are getting the breaks. We get Cincy @ home missing Eifert & Burfict, 2 big time starters and play makers. 

2nd break. Buffalo is right up the road so it's not a huge travel issue & it's a national game on Thursday night early in the year so we won't be dealing with the cold damp weather we saw in week 17. Both teams will be coming off physical games, say what you want about the Ravens but they play hard & that's the Bills opener @ Baltimore. 

3rd, 2 of our most important players had bad games vs the Bills, Fitz will look to atone for letting his team down in week 17, Revis played injured & was embarrassed by Watkins (who might never be 100% in 2016 with that foot injury).

4th, this is the f*cking NFL & the Bills are not the Patriots. The odds of the Bills winning 5 straight vs the Jets seems like a fairy tale scenario. We're f*cking due & the sting from that week 17 debocle has to be a motivator.

The other break I see. The Chiefs play @ Houston the 2nd game of the year. If you don't think Bill Obrien won't have that defense foaming at the mouth after getting shellacked 30-0 in the playoffs last year you don't pay attention to football. That will be a really physical game. But the Jets will have 10 days to get ready to travel to Kansas City for their 3rd game. That's huge! Gives them 2 extra days of practice/walk throughs they wouldn't have going on the road during a regular week.

So even though this schedule is daunting, flying out of the gate is not out of the question since they'll be more ready this year than last in the 2nd year under these coaches & the systems they run. Fitz isn't rehabbing a broken leg either & is getting all 1sr team reps which he didn't get last year. The offense will be ready to roll. Let's hope the youngsters on defense are to.

I don't think 1-1 means we're finished, but 0-2 would honestly mean the season was pretty much over before it began. With our schedule an 0-2 start likely means 1-5.

IMO we need to go 3-3 in our first six games. If we can manage that we'll more than likely make the playoffs. 2-4 would be a huge uphill battle.

F*ck it, let's shock the country & go 6-0! Anything can happen in the crazy NFL! Look at KC last year, everyone wrote them off & then they tore it up winning 7 games in a row....with Alex Smith QBing...dink & dunking and getting all kinds of lucky breaks.

Im pretty sure the Steelers offense is awesome, but I'm pretty sure Tomlin doesn't look at the Jets offense with Marshall, Decker & Forte as chopped liver with his sh*tty azz secondary,lol. Steel curtain my azz!

Sure the Cards are a good team, but they lost both games they played vs the Rams last year because the Rams D got after that statue they have back there at QB. If we take away Palmers 1st read & bring the heat, we could put a freaking hurting on that old man. I can see Mo, Sheldon, Leo, & Mauldin chasing him down in my minds eye. Maybe he won't even finish that game, you really never know in the NFL, that's why parlaying 3 games is not easy.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The first two games are HUGE. The next 2 games are also huge. The 2 games after that are also huge.  

Threads in August......

No one is over exaggerating our schedule based on the 1st 6 opponents. 5 playoff teams & the Bills who beat us twice. We better be on point to start this season. If we are those 2 Pats games could be for the division! Could you imagine knocking the Pats out of the playoffs by sweeping them? Be nice to have them miss the playoffs @ 10-6 because we won the head to head!

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles right there.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  It's sort of cool, actually.

SAR I

Yup, 0-2 or 1-1 board up the windows and wait for hockey season.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

F*ck it, let's shock the country & go 6-0! Anything can happen in the crazy NFL! Look at KC last year, everyone wrote them off & then they tore it up winning 7 games in a row....with Alex Smith QBing...dink & dunking and getting all kinds of lucky breaks.

Im pretty sure the Steelers offense is awesome, but I'm pretty sure Tomlin doesn't look at the Jets offense with Marshall, Decker & Forte as chopped liver with his sh*tty azz secondary,lol. Steel curtain my azz!

Sure the Cards are a good team, but they lost both games they played vs the Rams last year because the Rams D got after that statue they have back there at QB. If we take away Palmers 1st read & bring the heat, we could put a freaking hurting on that old man. I can see Mo, Sheldon, Leo, & Mauldin chasing him down in my minds eye. Maybe he won't even finish that game, you really never know in the NFL, that's why parlaying 3 games is not easy.

exactly!!! I'm riding shotgun with you, middle finger up!!!

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Wow pre-calling the season as toast by week 2 on the third day of training camp. #JetsLife

Especially since the pattern established—ever since the new CBA began limiting actual football practice during the off-season—has shown that the first quarter of the season is horrible football from just about every team in the league, meaning that the last 12 games are when they have their sh*t together.

Interestingly enough, we're all playing on the 12 game schedule that the Patriots have.

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The first two games are HUGE. The next 2 games are also huge. The 2 games after that are also huge.  

Threads in August......

It is the NFL. There are NO meaningless games.

At 0-2, I would probably agree. Because the sky would be falling and I usually hop on that train.

1-1? C'mon, man. I am as pessimistic as they come and I won't even go there. They're  still alive at 1-1. 

And to say the NYJ @ 2-0 are going to the playoffs is laughable. What can go wrong WILL go wrong. This is the NYJ!!

Historically, I don't even trust this team with a 21-0 lead halfway through the 4th quarter!! 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, and don't forget 3 of the last 4 at 8:30 PM in cold, windy climates where a finesse passing offense is at a major disadvantage.

Could be the worst schedule in NFL history if not for the 1969 Jets who despite being defending World Champions opened the season with their first 5 games on the road.

SAR I

interesting point on 8:30...  also interesting observation on the first 4 days.  my sense is we will know by week 6 whether or not we make the playoffs.

i do think that going 1-1 in first two games isn't a killer..  0-2 is bad.

10 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

At 0-2, I would probably agree. Because the sky would be falling and I usually hop on that train.

1-1? C'mon, man. I am as pessimistic as they come and I won't even go there. They're  still alive at 1-1. 

And to say the NYJ @ 2-0 are going to the playoffs is laughable. What can go wrong WILL go wrong. This is the NYJ!!

Historically, I don't even trust this team with a 21-0 lead halfway through the 4th quarter!! 

It's got to be 2-0 to make the playoffs, it's the only scenario.  It allows us to go 2-4 against the great teams and 6-2 against the weak teams which I believe is our ceiling. 

At 1-1 we would have to go 9-5 the rest of the way and we'd have a conference loss and a head-to-head loss with a wildcard competitor.  Most impossibly, we'd have to go 3-3 here:

at Kansas City (11-5)

Seattle (10-6)

at Pittsburgh (10-6)

at Arizona (13-3)

Patriots (12-4)

at Patriots (12-4)

...and what's worse is that 4 of those 6 games happen in a row right after the supposed 1-1 start. 

Like I said, it's a one-week season.  Go 2-0 or go home.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, and don't forget 3 of the last 4 at 8:30 PM in cold, windy climates where a finesse passing offense is at a major disadvantage.

Could be the worst schedule in NFL history if not for the 1969 Jets who despite being defending World Champions opened the season with their first 5 games on the road.

SAR I

There is nothing more painful than a late-season night game.  It's almost like people have to get overly drunk just to sit through it.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i think the worst part of the schedule isn't how difficult it is - it's that the pattern is H A A H A A H A A.  i am completely at a loss to understand how the jets could have only 3 of their first 9 games at home.  wft?

The Jets schedule looks more difficult than the Pats. For a team who didn't make the playoffs last year it looks like Belichick made up our schedule. The playoff teams coupled with the away games in the early season means the Jets will need to go at least 500 the first six games and make a run at the end of the season. The positive is that if they have a strong finish at the end of the season and make the playoffs they will have the momentum and peak at the right time. 

The Jets have a better team than the Bengals. I believe we are about even with the Bills and that our boys are going to be FIRED up for revenge.

2-0 here we come. Getting the Seahawks at home is a winnable game as well, although I don't see us pulling that one off.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Sorry...I'm a math guy.  It's five days, not four. 

The gap between the end of the Bengals game and the kickoff of the Bills game is 4 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes.

Rounded off it's 4 days, math guy. 

SAR I

44 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets have a better team than the Bengals. I believe we are about even with the Bills and that our boys are going to be FIRED up for revenge.

2-0 here we come. Getting the Seahawks at home is a winnable game as well, although I don't see us pulling that one off.

The Cincinnati Bengals have made the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years and have one of the best regular-season quarterbacks in the NFL.  Importantly, they have been playing in the same system for 13 years and are one of the NFL teams least vulnerable to early season disconnects and sloppy execution.

The Buffalo Bills beat us twice last season and have a coaching staff that clearly knows our personnel very well.  Emotional home opener, national night game, tough atmosphere against a desperate, hungry team.

While I think we have a good chance at 2-0 if things break right, this is quite daunting.  Quite necessary, too.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, jett said:

Wtf is wrong with jets fans. Why even play a game then 

Read much?

I said if the Jets open the season 2-0 they will make the playoffs. I believe that's the most optimistic prediction I've heard yet, most professional pundits have us at 7-9 at best.

SAR I

Wtf is wrong with jets fans. Why even play a game then 

It's why we don't deserve nice things. Just look at the hate in the Curtis Martin: A Football Life thread for all the proof you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived