R-E-L-A-X

NYs Stepchild

The Bengals are a pretty good team.

If we converted any one of numerous plays we would have won this game.

Our last 3 trips into the red zone produced 6 points. That is not the red zone offense we showed last year, and I do not believe it will be going forward. 7 points and we're in overtime. 9 and we win.

Two of those trips were within feet of being extended. One where Fitz was tacked at the one foot line. One was 4 and 1 at the 8. 

Decker fell down in the endzone. Folk missed a 22 yard field goal, and an extra point. 

On the last drive Marshall dropped a pass right in his hands, and the next play the ball is tipped which would have gone to an open Decker. Either of these would have most likely led to a winning field goal try.

We controlled the lines of scrimmage for the most part. We had a few breakdowns on defense, and we never came up with a solution for their well designed screens. Not everyone can run screens that effectively, but we will figure that out regardless.

I think it's much more important to be good than lucky. We actually looked like the slightly better team against one of the best teams in the league.

If failing to convert plays in the clutch becomes a habit then chicken little gains some credibility, but if we go out and dominate Buffalo on Thursday we will be on our way to a great season. If not then you guys can resume your previously scheduled panicking.   

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

Our last 3 trips into the red zone produced 6 points. That is not the red zone offense we showed last year, and I do not believe it will be going forward. 7 points and we're in overtime. 9 and we win.

Two of those trips were within feet of being extended. One where Fitz was tacked at the one foot line. One was 4 and 1 at the 8. 

Decker fell down in the endzone. Folk missed a 22 yard field goal, and an extra point. 

On the last drive Marshall dropped a pass right in his hands, and the next play the ball is tipped which would have gone to an open Decker. Either of these would have most likely led to a winning field goal try.

We controlled the lines of scrimmage for the most part. We had a few breakdowns on defense, and we never came up with a solution for their well designed screens. Not everyone can run screens that effectively, but we will figure that out regardless.

I think it's much more important to be good than lucky. We actually looked like the slightly better team against one of the best teams in the league.

If failing to convert plays in the clutch becomes a habit then chicken little gains some credibility, but if we go out and dominate Buffalo on Thursday we will be on our way to a great season. If not then you guys can resume your previously scheduled panicking.   

Thank you! This feels a lot like the loss against Baltimore in 2010 to open the season. 

We've got a good football team here and we're gonna be alright.

Just now, DetroitRed said:

Except were in trouble when we play a team with better receivers and a better QB 

i will say the schedule is not as bad as we thought . Especially if Wilson has a high ankle sprain. The Cardinals may be overrated .

Gotta beat the Bills! 

Thing is that I didn't see our DBs getting beaten except on that broken play. AJ made a couple incredible catches but the majority were screens. We have to clean that up. Incidentally I did notice quite a little bit of early blocking going on by the other receivers on those screens. 

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Except were in trouble when we play a team with better receivers and a better QB 

i will say the schedule is not as bad as we thought . Especially if Wilson has a high ankle sprain. The Cardinals may be overrated .

Gotta beat the Bills! 

The Cards have a lot of weapons but their Oline isn't even CLOSE to as good as the Bengals so Palmer might not finish that game.

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Thing is that I didn't see our DBs getting beaten except on that broken play. AJ made a couple incredible catches but the majority were screens. We have to clean that up. Incidentally I did notice quite a little bit of early blocking going on by the other receivers on those screens. 

That's why I put a lot of this on Bowles. Gotta adjust.  Can't get beat on the same plays out of the same formations

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

THURSDAY will tell us everything we need to know.

I agree. We have a good team. I'm not saying we have a very good team yet.

If we don't outclass the Bills then we're pretty much playing for next year, and we should start acting accordingly. 

Until then I'm reserving judgment. 

26 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You can't give away winnable games with this schedule ; TIME TO PANIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

download.jpg

I'm happily surprised and optimistic with the performance of the team outside of ST.  The oline was much better then I thought, Forte is going to have a great year (possibly the best ever overall), once Fitz gets 100% he'll have a good year (missing all that time was stupid), the receivers have huge potential, the Dline might be the best in the NFL when Richardson gets back and the rest of the D outside of revis was good.

They need to start helping revis against top receivers. He's either lost a huge step or had a extremely bad game. Revis island looked like Manhattan yesterday. 

32 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I dunno.

Yesterday told me that the team in the press clippings talking about how they are better than last year, fueled by the disappointment of last year, and expecting the playoffs ... cannot beat a playoff team (that got worse on paper, not better). 

So, while I don't consider what I'm doing personally, panicking. I do consider it level-setting. I'm willing to buy into hope and soundbytes, if they provide proof. Yesterday they showed me they are the same team from last year. To a tee.

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We are not a good team we are a decent team who has to find ways to win.

Yesterday we came out on fire nice to see grab a lead and then we seemed to lay down. 

The blocked FG destroyed all of that emption and momentum. Everyone in that stadium, players included knew it.

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I'm happily surprised and optimistic with the performance of the team outside of ST.  The oline was much better then I thought, Forte is going to have a great year (possibly the best ever overall), once Fitz gets 100% he'll have a good year (missing all that time was stupid), the receivers have huge potential, the Dline might be the best in the NFL when Richardson gets back and the rest of the D outside of revis was good.

They need to start helping revis against top receivers. He's either lost a huge step or had a extremely bad game. Revis island looked like Manhattan yesterday. 

I'm a big Fitz supporter, in the context of "he's the best of the bad options we have before us". 

That being said, I find it absolutely inexcusable to pay a 10-year veteran $12mil, after what was essentially a holdout, then have him put the ball in the air 35 times, and only amass 180-something yards passing. Sorry, I watched Wentz, Garrapolo (a guy I lobbied hard for us to draft), Dak (another guy I wanted us to draft), even Shaun Hill, and Osweiller (a guy I suggested trading for a few years ago, before he even took a snap in 2015), all do more to help their teams. 

The part of me that just wants to put Petty out there under the premise that his skill set can get us 300+ yards and multiple scores weekly, but he's going to throw 20 interceptions. I'd almost rather have that. I don't believe Geno gives us that, Geno gives you turnovers PLUS will struggle to score. I think Petty can hit big plays, but will make mistakes. I think he has the balls to stand in the pocket and deliver. I think he'd be better than Garapplol was for the Pats last night, and Semian for the Broncos. I'd put him on Bortles year 1 comparison. 

With a defense like ours, if we hold a team under 24, we should be winning. It's pathetic, when you look at our lineup, that we have to scratch and claw our way into the endzone. 

If we go 0-4, or 1-5, or some crap like that... then I'm ready to glimpse into the future.

46 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Speaking of the endzone, no one has mentioned the Fitz wild overthrow to Marshall in the back of the endzone. 

We hear about Marshall's drop during the last drive, which is legit, but if Fitz simply throws an accurate pass in the back of the endzone while in the redzone we would not be having this conversation

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Speaking of the endzone, no one has mentioned the Fitz wild overthrow to Marshall in the back of the endzone. 

We hear about Marshall's drop during the last drive, which is legit, but if Fitz simply throws an accurate pass in the back of the endzone while in the redzone we would not be having this conversation

Did he make any non-wild throws. I can live with him being off the mark for a quarter, you expect it with him, and if (like me) you were okay with him coming back, then you were okay with his moments of sputtering, but he sputtered all game in my opinion. 

Far from the sole reason we lost, but certainly a big part of it.

There were some great things about the game (Enunwa, J. Marshall, front 7 D) and we played a game few thought we even had a chance to win and effectively lost on a rare blocked FG. Missed and blocked kicks were a problem in many of the games yesterday. We'll have to accept that this is the new norm in the NFL. 

There were huge coaching blunders that seemed right in line with the same missteps from last year that also cost us the game. These are things we have to fix.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I can't relax. I am bitterly disappointed by that loss, because the Jets schedule is so tough this year that they can't afford to let a very winnable game against a good team slip away like that. They absolutely can't afford to leave points on the field (a made extra point and this game would have been different) or have busted coverages like the one where Green smoked Revis on that 50+ yd TD.

The fact is that the Jets played like a good but not upper-echelon team. They have to be better than good this year with the schedule they face. We knew this coming in.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

THURSDAY will tell us everything we need to know.

I'll agree with that. Right now I'm still standing around agitated with my arms crossed kicking the dirt. But that means I still care. They lay a dud on national tv on Thursday I'll start getting cynical on this team fast.  

50 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm a big Fitz supporter, in the context of "he's the best of the bad options we have before us". 

That being said, I find it absolutely inexcusable to pay a 10-year veteran $12mil, after what was essentially a holdout, then have him put the ball in the air 35 times, and only amass 180-something yards passing. Sorry, I watched Wentz, Garrapolo (a guy I lobbied hard for us to draft), Dak (another guy I wanted us to draft), even Shaun Hill, and Osweiller (a guy I suggested trading for a few years ago, before he even took a snap in 2015), all do more to help their teams. 

The part of me that just wants to put Petty out there under the premise that his skill set can get us 300+ yards and multiple scores weekly, but he's going to throw 20 interceptions. I'd almost rather have that. I don't believe Geno gives us that, Geno gives you turnovers PLUS will struggle to score. I think Petty can hit big plays, but will make mistakes. I think he has the balls to stand in the pocket and deliver. I think he'd be better than Garapplol was for the Pats last night, and Semian for the Broncos. I'd put him on Bortles year 1 comparison. 

With a defense like ours, if we hold a team under 24, we should be winning. It's pathetic, when you look at our lineup, that we have to scratch and claw our way into the endzone. 

If we go 0-4, or 1-5, or some crap like that... then I'm ready to glimpse into the future.

Could not agree more. 

I dont think it will be long this season till we see Petty anyways.  The way Fitz throws his body around out there its only a matter of time till he injuries himself...again.

I know Petty will bring bad and good when he plays...but I think the good he brings will be really good and will be worth continuing on with him. 

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just in case some people weren't aware the 1st game of the year gives you as many points as the last game of the year.  Last year when the Jets missed the playoffs the other 5 losses than the last buffalo game were just as much a reason as the buffalo failure.

Well, in general, conference losses and division losses mean more than non-conference losses and non-division losses. So all losses are not created equal.

1 minute ago, stugotz81 said:

Could not agree more. 

I dont think it will be long this season till we see Petty anyways.  The way Fitz throws his body around out there its only a matter of time till he injuries himself...again.

I know Petty will bring bad and good when he plays...but I think the good he brings will be really good and will be worth continuing on with him. 

It's like, with Favre (not calling him Favre), you tolerated the INTs because they came amidst being a top offense and being able to score in almost any game circumstance. I dunno. The conservative sh*t we pulled yesterday lost the game for us.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

It's like, with Favre (not calling him Favre), you tolerated the INTs because they came amidst being a top offense and being able to score in almost any game circumstance. I dunno. The conservative sh*t we pulled yesterday lost the game for us.

Is the conservative play calling a function of game planning or lack of faith in your QB? (I know they're one and the same but you get my point)

If they have that little faith in Fitz then he shouldn't be starting - let alone paid him $12mm...

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Is the conservative play calling a function of game planning or lack of faith in your QB? (I know they're one and the same but you get my point)

If they have that little faith in Fitz then he shouldn't be starting - let alone paid him $12mm...

Wouldn't have people been calling out SOJ for not signing a QB who had a record season the year before though?

As I continue to say, the team is in a transitioning period. The media is fooled by saying this is a win now team. That's BS.

Need to get the younger talent playing more. Would like to see Burris play more.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh, they have more faith in him than Geno. It's all about context.

When the guy is struggling to a 50% completion percentage, it's not exactly going to inspire bold moves.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Listen. I agree. 100%. But as good as the Jets looked, this loss could haunt the Jets. That's just how it is. It's still a loss had the Jets gotten blown out or lost by one. It matters. And its better to be lucky than good- as long as you're lucky all the time..lol :)

Hopefully the Jets take this loss and use it to fire them up vs the Bills. I have said from the start if they can go 3-3 in the first 6 games, they should be alright. 

Then its on to the Chiefs and Seahawks- neither looked that good, even though they won. We shall see how the Steelers look against the Redskins. I believe if the Jets play against the Steelers the way they played against the Bengals, they can beat them. 

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Gotta beat the Bills! 

I was actually really impressed with Dalton.

7 sacks, and he stood there and took it.  When he wasn't being sacked, he completed, what, 12 in a row at one point. 

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I was actually really impressed with Dalton.

7 sacks, and he stood there and took it.  When he wasn't being sacked, he completed, what, 12 in a row at one point. 

he was amazing yesterday, if we had him we'd challenge NE for the division.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Hmmmm....  this is thought provoking.  

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wouldn't have people been calling out SOJ for not signing a QB who had a record season the year before though?

As I continue to say, the team is in a transitioning period. The media is fooled by saying this is a win now team. That's BS.

Need to get the younger talent playing more. Would like to see Burris play more.

Agreed. I just don't think you sign a guy to that much money because SOJ would be upset.  You make a fair offer, make that offer public and most fans will understand if they don't sign him.  

The youth movement and young talent on this team is actually pretty exciting.  I would like to see one of our young QB's out there though.  

But I do understand why they're not.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Agreed. I just don't think you sign a guy to that much money because SOJ would be upset.  You make a fair offer, make that offer public and most fans will understand if they don't sign him.  

The youth movement and young talent on this team is actually pretty exciting.  I would like to see one of our young QB's out there though.  

But I do understand why they're not.

They did make the offer public. And fans for the most part sided with Fitzpatrick, I think.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They did make the offer public. And fans for the most part sided with Fitzpatrick, I think.

I didn't get that feeling, I can say the media HEAVILY sided with him..and it put them in a  tough position but most fans I know (knowledgable ones) were fine letting him walk for $12mm...

The Jets are a PR first, football second organization so it's no surprise they gave in to media pressure.

Archived