Darron Lee

HoustonJet

8 minutes ago, HoustonJet said:

Admittedly was not a big fan of that pick, a tad undersized but very talented...and my favorite stat - he leads the Jets in tackles with 11, quick to ball and just a solid player, great find by Bowles and Maccagnan.

I was very disappointed in his lack of effort in that Gillislee TD. He had a clear shot but gave a half ass effort. Outside of that, he was pretty quick and solid. 

21 hours ago, HoustonJet said:

Admittedly was not a big fan of that pick, a tad undersized but very talented...and my favorite stat - he leads the Jets in tackles with 11, quick to ball and just a solid player, great find by Bowles and Maccagnan.

Im starting to think that Lee isnt undersized. Thats the size (and athleticism) of this generation of middle linebacker. 

21 hours ago, HoustonJet said:

Tackles as a stat can be misleading. Can mean team run at him rather than better defenders on the other side of the defense. Better to make the tackle than not, but might not mean he's a good player,merely competent. The Raiders had an LB  named Greg Biekert who was among the NFL leaders in tackles year after year,  but wasn't thought to be all pro or anything. Lee looked totally lost and out of position several times. The one big tackle he had for a loss was on a play when the DL collapsed the Bills' OL and Lee was the recipient of good fortune of being the last guy there rather than making a great play. On the 2 immediate prior plays he was totally lost. Not saying he's a bust, though did say it during the game. Speed is nice, his size is a major ?,remains to be seen if he is sharp enough to overcome his lack of size. 

21 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Saw Bowles chew him out on the sideline last night.  Any thoughts on what happened?

I noticed that. It was after the bills TD in the prevent. Not sure what Lee did wrong but Bowles didn't like his answer at all. I'm sure they will have a chat, lol

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Tackles as a stat can be misleading. Can mean team run at him rather than better defenders on the other side of the defense. Better to make the tackle than not, but might not mean he's a good player,merely competent. The Raiders had an LB  named Greg Biekert who was among the NFL leaders in tackles year after year,  but wasn't thought to be all pro or anything. Lee looked totally lost and out of position several times. The one big tackle he had for a loss was on a play when the DL collapsed the Bills' OL and Lee was the recipient of good fortune of being the last guy there rather than making a great play. On the 2 immediate prior plays he was totally lost. Not saying he's a bust, though did say it during the game. Speed is nice, his size is a major ?,remains to be seen if he is sharp enough to overcome his lack of size. 

Good point. I hope it all starts clicking. He has major upside with that speed for a LB.

im starting to worry what you said about Lee, might be coming true for Mauldin somewhat. He doesn't appear, early on, to have progressed. Draft position was, of course, different and it's still early, but Mauldin needs to make up for what he lacks physically and I'm just not feeling it.

1 minute ago, Shadetree said:

Good point. I hope it all starts clicking. He has major upside with that speed for a LB.

im starting to worry what you said about Lee, might be coming true for Mauldin somewhat. He doesn't appear, early on, to have progressed. Draft position was, of course, different and it's still early, but Mauldin needs to make up for what he lacks physically and I'm just not feeling it.

Mauldin just doesn't really work with what we need to be doing on defense right now. With Wilkerson, Richardson, Williams, McClendon plus depth, the Jets can consistently field a line of four 300-pounders who can play the run on their way to the quarterback, and the secondary sucks sh*t, so we really only need run and chase linebackers and want to be playing nickel pretty much always. We finally have some semblance of a rounded 3-4 linebacking corps and nothing to do with it. Mauldin, Harris, Jenkins, etc. are basically useless but Lee is a perfect fit.

16 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  HC had him put some weight on this year and now he's slower...go figure.

IMO, Lee is what was advertised. He's a really fast clean-up guy who is fairly useless when the play is run right at him. I think, because of what we have on the DL, you'll make that trade. It was heartwarming to see our LBs chase McCoy parallel to the LOS without falling down for once.

14 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Mauldin just doesn't really work with what we need to be doing on defense right now. With Wilkerson, Richardson, Williams, McClendon plus depth, the Jets can consistently field a line of four 300-pounders who can play the run on their way to the quarterback, and the secondary sucks sh*t, so we really only need run and chase linebackers and want to be playing nickel pretty much always. We finally have some semblance of a rounded 3-4 linebacking corps and nothing to do with it. Mauldin, Harris, Jenkins, etc. are basically useless but Lee is a perfect fit.

They're playing the undrafted MSU kid over Mauldin now. He'll be gone next year if he even makes it through this year.

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They're playing the undrafted MSU kid over Mauldin now. He'll be gone next year if he even makes it through this year.

Yeah, Mauldin's another one people got excited about too soon. He lacks the elite athleticism of a starting 3-4 OLB, his ceiling was unfortunately limited by that, and it seems like he's gone backwards.

The guy I want to know more about is Jenkins. Has he played and how does he look?

Just now, SenorGato said:

Yeah, Mauldin's another one people got excited about too soon. He lacks the elite athleticism of a starting 3-4 OLB, his ceiling was unfortunately limited by that, and it seems like he's gone backwards.

The guy I want to know more about is Jenkins. Has he played and how does he look?

Been out with a calf injury. 

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

It was strange that they made a guy who was already heavy footed gain weight.  Now Mauldin is even slower.  

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

The best thing about Maccagnan / Bowles draft strategy is they seem to do  good job going after players that fit their scheme.  Lee is a perfect scheme fit, Forte wasn't a draft pick of course, but he's a great scheme fit, Fitzpatrick too, obviously 

This is the key Mac and Bowles are not just picking players but building a coherent team.

Oh and Bowles chewing that young man out is a good thing, a very good thing :) 

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Mauldin had a sack last week against the Bengals

I was thinking the same thing. I also noticed a couple of plays where he was stinging plays out. I see no reason to write him off yet. I'm amazed at how quickly that happened on here actually.

Everything said about him so far is true to some degree, both on the positive and negative side.  I lean towards seeing more promise than bust at this point, because he's making as many plays as he's missing and he's flashed at times.  And he has literally had one camp and two games.  He should be a trainwreck.  Like Pryor was early on.  Like winters was early on.  Like most rookies are early on.  But he's not a trainwreck.  He's just not very good yet.  But he's certainly ahead of the curve for a rookie if you ask me.

On September 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM, HoustonJet said:

Not knocking Mac, but he wasn't really a find.  Everyone knew he was a great player except a few knuckleheads on here

13 hours ago, Larz said:

I hope win4ever gives us a nice gif of his TFL, that was amazing

In the process of writing up the offensive film review for tomorrow morning, but I did read this, so here you go, lol.  

There is another one that I thought was more impressive, but he doesn't get credit for because I believe Wilkerson made the tackle.  The one where he shot the gap and made the tackle, the Bills didn't really prepare for him, as they were running away from him, so he showed some impressive closing speed.  That kind of tackle is pretty impressive, and he has a penchant of doing that somewhat often.   

http://www.jetnation.com/2016/08/17/weapons-check-darron-lee-preseason-week-1/#sthash.6nVcKldN.E1VI0Pia.dpbs

This is an earlier weapons check on him from the preseason, and Play 4 is a very similar play. 

The second play shown here is more impressive to me, because the Bills have a lineman account for Lee.  Infact, from what I could tell, Lee occupies the cutback lane for McCoy to run forward, but Lee blows it up with his speed, breaking down the entire play.  McCoy is forced to go outside, where there is a crowd waiting for him, and he loses yardage.  I thought this was more impressive because the Bills already have someone there to take care of Lee, and he just flat out beats him with speed.  

Darron Lee 2.gif

Darron Lee 1.gif

13 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

That 2nd play was on Incognito. That was as bad as the Revis TD, he smoked him, lol.

Yea, 64 is still in his stance as Lee is running around him, an "oh shix" moment for Richie

also it looked like Lee read the play, he sides steps before the snap then runs through the line

Thanks to win4ever for the gifs

Archived