Brandon Marshall says Jets had "Championship Week" of practice

AFJF

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/brandon_marshall_jets_had_a_championship_week_of_p.html

NEW YORK — Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall on Friday evening doubled down on his midweek assertion that his team is ready to move past a 1-3 start. 

"I said this on Wednesday, that we had our best practice that we've had since I've been here in two years," Marshall said. "But we truly had the best week since I've been here. I mean, an awesome week. We had a championship week. Usually, when you approach practice that way, it happens for you on Sunday." 

The Jets visit the 3-1 Steelers on Sunday.

After quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick threw nine interceptions in the past two games combined, some fans are calling for the Jets to start Geno Smith. 

"I haven't seen that yet," said Marshall, who tries to avoid spending too much time on social media. "Is that what's happened?" 

Yes, in some circles.

So how are the Jets digesting this criticism of their quarterback? 

"Well, it depends on what locker room you're in," Marshall said. "If you're in a locker room that's broken, that doesn't have any leaders, then there's going to be a lot of chatter. But when you're in a strong locker room and you have a great environment, guys just put their heads down and work.

"We're all to blame. We should all be benched, right? So we'll turn it around this weekend, and we'll get back on track. There are going to be ups and downs. You can't worry about the outside noise." 

Marshall spoke Friday in Manhattan at a fundraiser for his Project 375 foundation, which raises awareness for mental health issues. 

The Jets on Sunday will be without two starters: wide receiver Eric Decker (shoulder) and right guard Brian Winters (concussion). They probably won't have cornerback Darrelle Revis (hamstring). Few people expect the Jets to win. 

"At this point in the season, everyone is nicked up," Marshall said. "We'll be all right. We'll be fine. Plus, one of the great things about this team is our depth at every position. So we're confident that we can still get it done. No excuses." 

Marshall understands fans are down on this Jets team right now. 

"They should be," he said. "We should be. But the guys who go to the next level, the teams that are battle-tested are the teams that have these rough patches. And they're able to break through mentally. It's not a physical thing with us. So for us, it's one of those things where we just have to continue to have practices and weeks like this.

"And the special thing about this team is, most teams will fold it up. They'll fold the tent and call it the season. But it's the good teams and the good players that have that perseverance and that strength to continue to move forward. We did that, and it was a great week." 

Marshall's Project 375 foundation has launched a Project Prevent initiative aimed at raising awareness for mental health issues with students. Marshall on Friday emphasized the importance of "mental health first aid training" for adults. 

"That's so important because our parents, our teachers, and our staff have to be able to identify it," he said. "A lot of us don't know what it is. When we see someone having a breakdown or we see someone who may be depressed, but we don't know what that is, we tend to either bash them or turn our head.

"Our goal this year is to be able to reach 45,000 students here in New York alone. And that's just athletes that we're starting with.

"A lot of times, we talk about legacy in football. Like, what do you want your legacy to be? What do you want people to say when you're not in the locker room anymore? For me, when I walk away from this game, I want to change our perspective and our approach when it comes to mental health and mental fitness." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Steelers 37

Jets 13

I'm not into predicting blowout losses where we're on the receiving end of a thumping. That said, if we get clobbered like this, after the "best week of practice" since Bowles was hired, then more seriously than on a message board, the team needs to evaluate the (as Parcells used to refer to them) the guy who bought the groceries, and the guy who's cooking the groceries. 

You can't bring in or bring back the guys you targeted and wanted, and then go on to receive a thumping like that. Not against a team that 2 weeks earlier got picked apart by a (supposedly raw) rookie QB and an undrafted rookie RB, and decidedly worse talent at receiver. To say nothing of their defense, with a secondary filled with late drafted and undrafted players & cheap veterans. I think their whole secondary combined costs $10M this season. Ours (after pushing millions more of Skrine's scheduled cap hit to the future) is closer to $30M. 

Basically, despite all the disappointment-driven posts I've made, I hope these two team leaders aren't as bad & in over their heads as I fear. A huge beating that follows a best-eva week of practice, that includes the best-eva single practice, would suggest just that. Then again, this is just Brandon Marshall talking, he of the "I came here because of Geno Smith" and "Ryan Fitzpatrick is an elite QB" comments. So there's that.

I love Marshall, he is a player and he has the right attitude IMO.....

But I've always said talk is cheap, you can talk all you want, it's what you do on the field, in the moment of challenge that counts.

But to those blaming Marshall I say stop.....

Marshall has produced while he has been here and for some now to act like he is the problem is INSANE!!!

Do you honestly believe if Brady was under center that Marshall wouldn't be twice as effective?

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

When the Jets beat a decent team, wake me up. I'm apple picking today.

I went yesterday, it's really pretty idyllic pulling an apple from the tree, then carving off slices for my daughter using the old knife my Dad got me as a boy.

Enjoy!

Archived