Report: Petty to Start vs Rams

AFJF

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Larz said:

If petty was rising up the depth charts this would be exciting. 

Fitz is hurt, Bowles will name fitz the starter after the game

Did you have to suck all of the optimism right out of this thread? 

Next you're going to tell us they resign Kellen Davis this week? ?

6 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Interestingly, none of the main beat writers has reported this yet, like Cimini, Manish, Costello etc. Even Schefter has not piped in.  just the two guys from wfan.  Hope this scoop is real.

Lopresti is the beat guy for WFAN...absolutely a "main" reporter.

If it's true I hope the kid gets to ball out. I'm a little concerned with the patchwork offensive line he will be behind and a stout Rams Defensive Front. I am also concerned Chan Gailey won't take off the kid gloves he handled with for the one series last week. Let the kid rip it. Should be fun to watch. 

18 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Interestingly, none of the main beat writers has reported this yet, like Cimini, Manish, Costello etc. Even Schefter has not piped in.  just the two guys from wfan.  Hope this scoop is real.

I am still waiting for a 2nd reliable source for confirmation.

18 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

No disrespect, i like Lopresti.  curious that it hasn't been confirmed by others that is all.

We'll see...but every now and then one guy gets a scoop.  Connor Hughes got the Mo/Sheldon club med story and everyone else ran with it as if it was their own.

9 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

C-Lo is the best Jets reporter by a mile. Id be very surprised if it's not for real. 

I called in to WFAN at 6:30 to talk Jets just as the news broke.  I was officially the first caller of the Bryce Petty era.  Very honored.

SAR I

Hope everyone is willing to give the kid a shot...I don't need to see 29 games of non-progression like I had with Geno, but if it's some good, and some bad that's to be expected.

More important to see PROGRESSION in his play as he plays more games.

Petty playing, hopefully for more than a game, answers a LOT of questions moving forward:

1.  If he's bad, and makes no progress, they may decide to move on from him and sign a vet next season to compete with Hack;

2. If he plays OK but not great but they see some good things with him to let him battle it out with Hack next PS, they can forego a vet and draft another QB where they see a fit;

3. If he plays well and continues to make progress, drafting a QB becomes much less important next year and signing a vet as insurance may be unnecessary  saving cap $.

Just hope we give the kid some time...the CS, AND the fans.

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Let's not expect too much from this guy, it's his 1st game after all and he's going up against a darn good defense.

Expect lots of running tomorrow.

We'll see if they run or let him sling it. Personally, I won't be too harsh.  I'll be looking to see him go through his reads and progressions among other things. Does he settle down or stay shaky the entire game?  Can he look off DBs?  Is he holding the ball too long?  Can he identify a blitz and check into the right protections?  Footwork in the pocket?  Composure when the pocket collapses (eat a sack, throw away, look for check down, etc). 

These are things that will tell us whether or not he can be our future.  I'm not going to let myself get too hyped up.  I've had my heart broken before.  Here's to hoping that we finally have "the guy". 

Archived