Revis involved in Altercation; Criminal Charges Filed - MERGED

Matt39

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Quite literally the only year of his NFL career where it could be argued that Revis was underpaid was 2009.  And even then he was paid far more than his draft slot warranted or anyone on a current rookie contract could ever dream of being paid.

On the other hand, he was massively overpaid in 2011 (good year, but the amount he got that year was absurd), 2015, and 2016.  And that's being generous considering I'm giving him a pass on his tubby 2010, injured 2012, and not giving a crap how much the Bucs overpaid him in 2013.  When you combine that with holding out twice in 3 years, and then immediately starting to threaten a third, that kind of invalidates any particular argument of justification that could be made.

you are paid what teams are willing to pay you. if he was a free agent in 2009 or 2010 he would have got a lot more than he signed for.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

So I guess this begs the question-  was he a great CB but not a great Jet?

If he were, say, a New England Patriot his entire career, do the Patriots beat the Giants twice and not come close against the Seahawks?  If he were on a team that could better appreciate his specific skills, would he then be an NFL immortal?

On the Jets, what did he really do?  Take away the #1 WR.  Okay.  Well most games the #2 and the #3 ate us alive on the other side of the field.  He allowed our safety to blitz more often?  Okay.  Well most games the TE ate us alive over the middle or we were beaten by a draw.  4th quarter crunch time holding a slight lead, he didn't have much impact as the spread offense would put 6 receivers into zones.

If the guy didn't have a lot of interceptions, didn't cause a lot of fumbles, didn't have many pick-sixes, and if the opposing OC could work around him, what did he really accomplish in New York?  Great player on a team that didn't need him that much?  Or overrated player on a secondary of weak talent allowing him to be avoided?

SAR I

By all accounts Revis was an all time great corner in an era where the game favored WRs. There is no doubting his ability and his value to the Jets. While teams could go to other WRs, Rex was also able to blitz more and use extra Dbs to cover the other half of the field. So yeah, we won a ton of games because of Revis even if it wasn't easy to spot in a boxscore. We can all agree that those teams didn't win 4 road playoff games on the  back of Sanchez and the offense. 

With that said, he was more interested in making an extra 2 percent a year than being a great teammate/fan favorite. That was his right. But with that choice he lost the chance to be "beloved" by the fans. So when the sh!t hits the fan (his talent fades or he gets into trouble with the law) the fan base will/has turned on him in an instant. That is the bed he made. 

Plenty of Jets during his time, including Mangold and Dbrick, could have easily played the same games as Revis for a few extra bucks, but they chose not to and now Jets fans will always love those guys. I am not sure how I will feel about Revis in a few years. 

I also want to note that Revis was pretty good 2 years ago but coming into this season he was already talking about moving to safety. It feels as it he lost the desire/work ethic needed to be an elite corner. He stopped tackling this year and just looked disinterested. That goes a long way to losing fans respect. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67012/police-report-reveals-new-details-in-the-darrelle-revis-case

NFL network just did 10 minutes on this

1) they ALL agreed Revis can't play safety

2) Polian said that if you accept a plea deal, the league considers that a guilty verdict and you are in violation of the personal conduct policy which triggers an investigation by the league (suspension) and most likely means the Jets can get out of paying him for this year if they cut him on the 2nd day of the league year

I think this is the end of his Jets career, and its really just a sad day

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it's hard to win awards doing what he does which is completely shut down opponents, awards are based on stats.  do you remember 2005 when Ty law had 10 INts?  he made the pro bowel people thought he was great but hew as as bad of a corner that year as I have ever seen.  he was picked on every week but he got some INts and fooled people.

No corner has ever been a better cover corner than Revis, not Deion, not Green, not Blount not anyone. some may have been better playmakers but they got beat often trying to cheat to get INts.

They may not have been better than 2009 Revis, but one season does not a career make, and he's never come close to replicating that year.  The rest of them all have far more than 2 1/2 years of their career to lean on and therefore were in fact the better overall players.

Meanwhile, 2016 Revis was, at very best, 2005 Law, but without any shred of ability to get even a single interception until there were literally minutes left in a lost season.  And that's still probably giving Revis' season too much credit.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

They may not have been better than 2009 Revis, but one season does not a career make, and he's never come close to replicating that year.  The rest of them all have far more than 2 1/2 years of their career to lean on and therefore were in fact the better overall players.

Meanwhile, 2016 Revis was, at very best, 2005 Law, but without any shred of ability to get even a single interception until there were literally minutes left in a lost season.  And that's still probably giving Revis' season too much credit.

the others were really good for a longer period of time but never approached Revis' greatness.  those other guys were vastly overrated b/c they had a few more INTs.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree, with the exception of the only hope being a Revis bounce back at corner. I'm sympathetic to the concern over an potential additional mess created, but a newly acquired FA in his playing prime is more likely to have a good season than a bounceback from 32 yr old Revis. Particularly in light of his own supposed hints to others that he can't do what he once could (& therefore would not bounce back in the way you're thinking/hoping).

I think it's a matter of odds though because Revis contract right now is over-priced for his age and production, but the non guaranteed money amount for the next two years helps a full rebuild if he doesn't bounce back.  If we sign one of the free agents, there is a better chance they bounce back or maintain their high level of play, but in the case of it not being the case, there is going to be significant dead money attached to those contracts if the new GM/Coach wants to move on.  

If the Jets had decided that Revis didn't fit into their plans anymore, and moved on with secondary plans, then I would understand.  But this feels like one of those IK, Fergueson deals where we're forced to react without leverage, and the GM hasn't shown any ability to turn leverage in his favor with his deals of the past.  

My biggest concern is a system fit, or if we're pigeonholing players into a possible new system.  For example, I think Johnson is more of a fit for man to man defenses, but if our next coach runs a zone, he's not quite the fit, and therefore automatically over-paid.  

I think the whole premise of this next season for me was that, it was the last hurrah for veterans, and if we move on, we could start anew.  Can move from Marshall, Mangold, Decker (slight dead money hit there), Skrine (slight dead money hit), Gilchrist (slight dead money hit), Revis, Forte (slight dead money hit) and the ghost of Fitzpatrick's dead money.   The new staff could get rid of the veterans without terrible hits, have plenty of cap space, draft a QB (or stick with one we develop this year) and fill out the team to their needs.  Now, we'll be all but forced to pay for one in free agency for a staff that I would say may not even return after next year.  

13 hours ago, Dcat said:

So we draft a corner early AND we go get Buyoe.  Revis was a liability on the field just as often as anyone else in that secondary was . Buoye is a lot better.  I wouldn't be pinning my hopes on Revis getting anywhere near league average.  Buoye is above league average and cheaper. Not a bad situation at all for a new GM and/or HC in 2018. 

Buoye isn't cheap, latest rotoworld news says he's expected to get over $12 million per with about $30 million guaranteed.  

We should draft a corner early regardless, but having Revis could have bought a year to evaluate the situation, move him to safety, reduce his pay, anything.  Now we have our hands tied in negotiations as well because we're desperate.    

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Sort of.

What I'm saying is that in New York, Darrelle Revis isn't in the Mount Rushmore of Jets.  There are tackles who don't miss an assignment or allow a single sack all year for years at a time.  They aren't beloved by their fans, no one wears their jerseys, they don't get much recognition.  In a very focal position in the NFL, Darrelle Revis needed to be (still needs to be) "talked up" for others to understand his supposed greatness. 

Most great players are self-evident by their play.  Making plays.  Creating turnovers.  Scoring.

SAR I

Stopping QBs from completing passes, keeping the number 1 WR from doing what #1 WRs do, holding his man to zero points, funneling all plays to one side of the field. creating a huge advantage for a defense.  

Funny that defensive coaches to man would sign up for a Revis every time

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Burris didn't get toasted all of last year. He was solid for a rookie. 

They can't move on from Skrine because they reworked his contract and he's not worth cutting. 

Marcus Williams is no more than a dime player. 

The best corner last year was Roberts who was not all that good to begin with. 

The secondary was terrible when Macc started and it hasn't gotten any better since then despite giving out 50-60 million dollars in contracts to terrible players. 

They're going to draft a corner or safety at 6. Just get used to that idea now. 

He got toasted pretty often, especially if he couldn't jam the receiver at the line.  I haven't had the time to break his season down, but I do know the interception he had in the Dolphins game, Parker blew right by him and Moore made a horrible throw.  

The secondary is probably one of the worst I've seen, even with the last Rex years.  QBs have absolutely easy throws more times than not because I'm not even sure what kind of defense they were playing.  It would switch from man to zone with half the team switching from zone to man at the same time.  They looked lost out there.  

I think they need to go secondary in two of their top three picks in this draft.  A CB is a guaranteed must at this point, and two is necessary.  The only problem is that, CB is one of those positions that have a prolonged period of adjustment from college to the NFL.  

6 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Considering how badly we were torched last year 2 new corners are what we needed anyway. In no way was the plan for Revis to be our savior, he is getting older and his play more than slipped last year. It should have always been the plan to work on a replacement, now hopefully we have a way to do it with a significant cost savings. 

I know people are saying things like "this is so like the Jets" but actually this is a stroke of luck that we normally couldnt dream of. Mac was facing a pretty hard decision that just got a lot easier. This isnt completely about character and bringing in good guys because some of the players he has looked at are not squeaky clean. From a business stand point negotiating with Revis about cutting his salary and/or moving to safety would have been a nightmare, keeping him at the current price at any position with deteriorating skills and advancing age is already a nightmare come to life. 

I dont believe for a minute that he was scouting properties at 2 am in an area HE GREW NEAR. I own properties and have checked them out at different hours of the day(and night) but I dont get out of the car and walk the streets....and I'm NOT famous. Additionally, he is an well known NFL player and people film him all the time. If nothing was sketchy then there would be no reason to take/break a cell phone or delete an innocent video. What could it possibly show? Him looking at the building, taking a few snapshots to send to his real estate agent? We dont know the real details but whats come out so far sounds like a story my 10 yr old wold tell when I ask who ate the last donut. 

I don't think Revis was supposed to be a savior, but I think it was reasonable to expect him to bounce back.  He rarely played man coverage this season, and the times he was beat with man coverage, it wasn't horrible coverage but more very good throws and catches.  While the Revis of old wasn't coming back, I think there was a decent chance he was going to be at least decent.  And his contract was essentially a one year deal with the guarantees, after which we could have moved on from him without much cost at all.  Now if we bring in a FA, that won't be the case, and then it factors into a possible new coach.  

I think the only way this is a stroke of luck is if this forces Revis to accept a substantial pay cut and remaining with the team.  Otherwise, I don't agree with the theory because it took the choice out of the GM's hand.  

I'm guessing alcohol was heavily involved, if not other drugs.  He probably got annoyed that some other drunk guy was taking his picture, and it's his hometown so he's used to getting things his way so he decided to rough them up and show them who's boss.  It backfired.  I'm pretty sure these charges aren't sticking, in a few weeks, case dropped, out of court settlement, and he gets suspended two games.  To me it's more like an ego trip that backfired, and it's going to cost him money.  

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think he has major areas where he needs improvement.  If he can't jam people at the line, he's toast because he's not fast enough to keep up with receivers.  I think part of the reason he wasn't abused more often was because QBs were abusing other players on defense as well and had to spread out the violence.  

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

I agree 100%.  Revis, as I think you said, was the greatest player to make the least impact on the outcome of a game I can imagine.

It sounds crazy because of all the love and respect this guy gets around these parts, but it's true.

SAR I

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

No corner has ever been a better cover corner than Revis, not Deion, not Green, not Blount not anyone. some may have been better playmakers but they got beat often trying to cheat to get INts.

Bingo.

I would have much rather had a Killer Revis than a Lunchpail Revis.  I'd have rather lost a game because he cheated on a pick and then won three others because of pick-sixes than what we got.  Suffocating coverage, no turnovers, few gamechanging moments.  We paid a lot of money for very little.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Given that blurb about his contract - I'd have already cut him under the guise of "conduct detrimental to the team". Based on how he played last year. LOL, but with the legal troubles as a cherry on top.

You thinking refund, too?  I am.

SAR I

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

This is an absolute joke.

Mark Sanchez threw for 100 yards and 1 TD and 1 INT against the Chargers.  The Jets defense held the Chargers to less than half of the Chargers points average.  And Sanchez sucked against the Colts in the playoffs the next year.  Mark Sanchez blew and blows.  Darrelle Revis was the best player on the unit that was responsible for winning some tough, tough playoff games.  I-m-p-a-c-t. 

If Mark Brunell plays instead of Mark Sanchez, we lose those playoff games.

If Drew Coleman plays instead of Darrelle Revis, we still win those playoff games.

That's the difference.  Lesser CB play doesn't kill us.  Losing a quarterback does.

Our best season in recent memory, 2010, Darrelle Revis had 0 interceptions.  What a gamer.

SAR I

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

shutting down his side of the field and taking away the opposing QBs best option which limited the opposing offenses and made it easier for us to win.

Yes, that's what makes him better than Aaron Glenn.  It doesn't make him better than Kevin Mawae.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

It sounds crazy because of all the love and respect this guy gets around these parts, but it's true.

SAR I

You can give Rex Ryan some credit for that.

He made the statement that Revis was the greatest corner in the history of the universe.

Then Revis held us hostage for months.

Rex never read "The Art of the Deal".

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

sanchez was actually the best QB on the field in SD, his #s were lower b/c when we got the lead we just ran the ball and he didn't throw in the 4th qtr. Mark was vital to both runs BUT we were led by our Ds which were led by the greatness of Darrelle Revis.

Don't talk playoffs and then talk about the "greatness" of Darrelle Revis.  I leave for vacation tomorrow.  Don't make me vomit.

We lost both AFC Championship Games in the air, brutally in fact.  Manning's second half ripping apart the secondary to over come a 10 point Sanchez lead.  Roethlisberger's dismantling of the secondary late when Sanchez mounted a furious comeback.

Next to Bart Scott, Darrelle Revis is one of the most important players to not show up in Pittsburgh, one of the team leaders that did not inspire the team to get to the Super Bowl a year after getting similarly close.  It's an unforgivable sin.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Don't talk playoffs and then talk about the "greatness" of Darrelle Revis.  I leave for vacation tomorrow.  Don't make me vomit.

We lost both AFC Championship Games in the air, brutally in fact.  Manning's second half ripping apart the secondary to over come a 10 point Sanchez lead.  Roethlisberger's dismantling of the secondary late when Sanchez mounted a furious comeback.

Next to Bart Scott, Darrelle Revis is one of the most important players to not show up in Pittsburgh, one of the team leaders that did not inspire the team to get to the Super Bowl a year after getting similarly close.  It's an unforgivable sin.

SAR I

we lost Indy through the air as we lost a bunch of CBs in that game to injury and losing Greene killed the O, we lost at Pitt b/c the run D was run all over.

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Buoye isn't cheap, latest rotoworld news says he's expected to get over $12 million per with about $30 million guaranteed.  

We should draft a corner early regardless, but having Revis could have bought a year to evaluate the situation, move him to safety, reduce his pay, anything.  Now we have our hands tied in negotiations as well because we're desperate.    

I think they are desperate with or without Revis.  We differ on what to expect from Revis at corner or at safety, a position I don't want to see him play anyway.  He offers zero of the "veteran leadership" that one would expect from someone of his NFL ilk.  He's a liability, not an asset.  And an expensive one.  Time to cut bait.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

NFL network just did 10 minutes on this

1) they ALL agreed Revis can't play safety

2) Polian said that if you accept a plea deal, the league considers that a guilty verdict and you are in violation of the personal conduct policy which triggers an investigation by the league (suspension) and most likely means the Jets can get out of paying him for this year if they cut him on the 2nd day of the league year

I think this is the end of his Jets career, and its really just a sad day

No it's the luckiest break the jets have had in quite some time

52 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think he has major areas where he needs improvement.  If he can't jam people at the line, he's toast because he's not fast enough to keep up with receivers.  I think part of the reason he wasn't abused more often was because QBs were abusing other players on defense as well and had to spread out the violence.  

I thought Burris's speed was fine

28 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Now it's a no brainer cutting him.. He may not even be starter caliber next yr if he slips even more from last yr

Charged with 2 counts of assault, count robbery, 1 count threat and 1 count conspiracy to commit assault . Video evidence

Only way Revis avoids significant jail time is a plea deal

Which = jets get to cut his bust ass 3/9 and keep the $6 mil cap room

Hajahaha

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Let's start talking about what we're going to do with that money!!! The Jets got a WHOLE lot better today. Awful news for Revis, great news for the Jets.

Cut that boy and LET'S GO! Tony Jefferson can be had for 7mil a season. That's a huge start.

In a strange way I'm not in a mood to feel bad for Revis.  This just may be an appropriate ending considering how he managed his career.    

• According to the complaint, "Cousins stated that another black male showed up on the scene as he and Revis were arguing over him throwing his phone and Cousins stated that he believed that he was Revis' friend. Cousins stated that after arguing over his phone, the next thing he remembers was getting punched and then waking up to talk to police."

The officer said Jarvis confirmed Cousins' account, adding in the report that Jarvis also "was attempting to grab his phone off of Revis before he threw it into the street. Jarvis stated that after Revis threw the phone into the street, he too was punched and remembers waking to speak to police."

What about Watt?

The report states that Watt corroborated Cousins and Jarvis' version of the events, adding, "Revis approached (Watt) and stated, 'I got more guys coming.' Watt stated that Revis stepped within a foot of his face with an aggressive demeanor on his face, fists clenched and stated, 'Do you want to be next?'"

The officer said in the report that he asked Watt if it was Revis or the unknown man who knocked out Cousins and Jarvis. Watt replied, "I don't know, it happened so fast."

• Cousins said he approached Revis on the street and started taking cell-phone video after Revis became agitated. Revis "pushed him in the chest," he told police. Revis' attorney, Blaine Jones, told ESPN his client became upset because Cousins was harassing him and taking video.

Archived