Opinion on Leonard Fournette after Combine?

Sarge4Tide

Fournette?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. After his combine performance are you more or less excited about the possibility of the Jets drafting Fournette at #6?

• MUCH more excited about the Jets drafting Fournette
    • More excited about the Jets drafting Fournette
    • My opinion is unchanged
    • Less excited about the Jets drafting Fournette
    • MUCH less excited about the Jets drafting Fournette

LSU Rb Leonard Fournette came in to the combine a bit overweight at 240 lbs and had a bad vertical jump but ran a 4.5 40 and generally performed well in the positional drills.

After his combine performance are you more or less excited about the possibility of the Jets drafting Fournette at #6?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion hasn't changed. I still think he's a future Hall of Fame RB. I will be happy if he's here but I'm also fine passing on him because of his position. But you better be sure the guy you're taking is someone special because you'll always be the team that past on an a great one. 

I'm always of the BPA mentality. Whether that's at qb, CB, S, lber, OL or even RB. 

My opinion is unchanged. 

The combine is exciting...but at the end of the day its about what you do on the football field. It's obvious this guy is a football player. Im not saying that we should draft him. Oh no. I think we should trade down and rack up on some offensive linemen, but I believe whomever drafts fournette will receive an addition to their football team. 

So he cant jump high...atleast his vertical jump at the combine explained why he's always decided to run through people instead! 

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

My opinion hasn't changed. I still think he's a future Hall of Fame RB. I will be happy if he's here but I'm also fine passing on him because of his position. But you better be sure the guy you're taking is someone special because you'll always be the team that past on an a great one. 

I'm always of the BPA mentality. Whether that's at qb, CB, S, lber, OL or even RB. 

You could be right. Under his Combine Profile page, the NFL has him compared to none other than Bo Jackson. 

I have never seen the NFL compare a RB to Bo Jackson.  Shocked me to think that they were actually confident enough to make such a comparison. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/leonard-fournette?id=2557973

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You could be right. Under his Combine Profile page, the NFL has him compared to none other than Bo Jackson. 

I have never seen the NFL compare a RB to Bo Jackson.  Shocked me to think that they were actually confident enough to make such a comparison. 

That's why I want him, if he's half what Bo was I'm all in. I want this kid. He's a Bulldozier with long speed. It will be funny in camp watching him run over Darron Lee, if we draft him.

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

That's why I want him, if he's half what Bo was I'm all in. I want this kid. He's a Bulldozier with long speed. It will be funny in camp watching him run over Darron Lee, if we draft him.

Darron Lee wont be the only one he runs over. David Harris could become a victim if he's caught slippin lol. 

Only team that should take a Rb high in the draft, if you are one player away from possible winning the Super Bowl.   This Rb draft is so deep you can get a quality Rb much later in this draft.( bigger reason why address other needs earlier).

The shelf life for a running back isn't that long , and silly to invest a high draft pick in that area when you don't have the other pieces to get maximimum return on your investment.

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Only team that should take a Rb high in the draft, if you are one player away from possible winning the Super Bowl.   This Rb draft is so deep you can get a quality Rb much later in this draft.( bigger reason why address other needs earlier).

The shelf life for a running back isn't that long , and silly to invest a high draft pick in that area when you don't have the other pieces to get maximimum return on your investment.

^This  

Plus Fournette's upright running style makes durability a potential issue.  Is he Eric Dickerson?  If so, then I get it.  But there are few of those and upright runners have more frequent durability issues in the NFL.  

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Same as it was before the Combine, and six months ago, and five years before that: spending a 1 on a running back is for the birds.

i think mccags knows this and it's one of the reasons he's trying to trade back.  also, although he'll never admit it, i believe he wants to take an offensive player in the first round (crazy concept around here, i know), and there isn't one worth taking at 6.  so if he can trade back, even if it's 2 times, and gets into the middle of the round, that opens up the value to go offense in the first, even if it's a nice big and fast TE to help hackenberg out.  whether anyone likes it or not, hack will be the qb this year, if not from day 1, at least half the season when the team is clearly out of the playoffs.  if mccags' vision is to truly build around him, he'll need another RB and a real TE, not to mention a retooled OL.  

before mccags announced he wanted to trade back, i thought the jets draft was destined to be boring and predictable, lattimore, a cb in the 2nd, a LT in the 3rd, etc.  but now i believe he will trade back, probably during the draft.  

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

This^^^^ Jets are so far away. No way I'm taking a rub. Even if he is considered to be great. Have to fix the OLINE first, qb, , cb, we have far too many needs. 

I thought he'd run faster and shock people (high 4.3's/low 4.4's).  I'm a bit disappointed by his time, but would still take him at 6.  He's a wrecking ball and I saw him run away from db's in the SEC.  Wonder if he plays faster than he times?  He'll be Hack's best friend.

btw- Bo was a 4.13 guy at 230 lbs.  FREAK

45 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think mccags knows this and it's one of the reasons he's trying to trade back.  also, although he'll never admit it, i believe he wants to take an offensive player in the first round (crazy concept around here, i know), and there isn't one worth taking at 6.  so if he can trade back, even if it's 2 times, and gets into the middle of the round, that opens up the value to go offense in the first, even if it's a nice big and fast TE to help hackenberg out.  whether anyone likes it or not, hack will be the qb this year, if not from day 1, at least half the season when the team is clearly out of the playoffs.  if mccags' vision is to truly build around him, he'll need another RB and a real TE, not to mention a retooled OL.  

before mccags announced he wanted to trade back, i thought the jets draft was destined to be boring and predictable, lattimore, a cb in the 2nd, a LT in the 3rd, etc.  but now i believe he will trade back, probably during the draft.  

I hope you're correct. We just haven't seen this from our organization that often. What potential teams do you see wanting to move up? 

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Disagree. 

Before the rookie salary cap, I'd've  been 100% behind the idea of not drafting a RB in the first, or high in the first, whatever. But with the current CBA rules, I think it's much less of an issue. Where the Jets are picking, the BAP could be a choice between a RB and a Safety, another non-premium position. Ronnie Stanley, the #6 last year, signed a four year, $20.5M contract. I'd have no problem paying a game changer at RB a little over $5M/year -if that's what Fournette is- and if he is, I'll be happy to lock him up for his option year, and then franchise him once or twice. If anything, I think the rookie salary cap makes taking a potential star RB in the first a good idea. By the time you ever get a shot at one in free agency, they're getting close to their twilight and demanding much more than $5M/year. 

All that said, Fournette's combine was a little underwhelming. He's gonna have to drop ten pounds and put up better numbers at his pro day. 

36 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I hope you're correct. We just haven't seen this from our organization that often. What potential teams do you see wanting to move up? 

tough to say now, but typically there are teams that covet players.  i could see the browns wanting to move up from 12, and they have picks to give.  if you told me today the jets could trade back to 12, get an extra pick and take a stud TE, i'd sign up.  the team needs picks and weapons.  

15 minutes ago, Lego My Lageman said:

Hey I want something shiny too and if that the case Mike Williams is the better option at 6. That being said I hope we trade back and get some Oline help.

Maybe trade back a little bit and still get Mike Williams.

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

hmm...well the nfl certainly tries to do their best to pump up the prospects.  he may very well be a really good nfl back but bo jackson?  jackson was 3 sport star and do it all, including run through people.

Im almost always a trade down and best player available guy.  Im also a build the oline guy.  That being said, I think Fournette is a beast and the best player in the draft.  If there is anyway to trade down 4-6 picks and still draft fournette?  Wow, best of both worlds.  

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Didn't Bo run a 4.27?   The same as Dion Sanders.

No one compares athletically to Bo.

Much less. 

And its for most of the same reasons as before the combine but when people are billing someone as a generational HOF next Bo Jackson type of talent, you better measure out as one of the superior athletes to go through the combine and I dont believe that happened yesterday.  He didnt grade out like an insane physical freak the likes of which you've rarely seen before. 

So my opinion hasnt changed, I never wanted a RB that early either way but I think this should give people some pause.  It probably confirms some of why he's really a one style RB and is going to struggle in single back, zone read and spread type of systems.  He's got to be a down hill, head of steam following a lead blocker. 

No thanks. 

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Didn't Bo run a 4.27?   The same as Dion Sanders.

No one compares athletically to Bo.

I love fournette but yeah, he's no Bo. But there may never be another Bo. But the comp is fair. They are similar but fournette is A little bigger but not nearly as fast. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love fournette but yeah, he's no Bo. But there may never be another Bo. But the comp is fair. They are similar but fournette is A little bigger but not nearly as fast. 

Saying someone isn't Bo isn't really an insult, no one is Bo.

The fastest running back in the league shouldn't also be the most powerful.  And also able to hit a 450 foot HR leading off a MLB All Star Game.  Or throw a rope from the wall to the catcher.  Or just run up a wall.... because he ran up a wall.   Even now, watch a special on him.  Bow hunting, bulls eye from like, down the street.

I agree with some others.  This is your ultimate job interview, and you show up over weight...  not what I'd want to see.

Archived