Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams, get Jordan Matthews from Eagles

Jetscode1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you don't think some human beings are simply more fragile than others?  Chad Pennington is a great example of one of those.  Some guys just don't get enough calcium, or just simply don't have the DNA to be football players.  Athletes, yes, but maybe not football players.  

I'm sure some are I just don't think you can quantify thAt off a couple injuries over a 2 year span in a severely violent contact sport. 

I'm sure there's something to it. But Weighing risk reward I'd be more excited as a Rams fan today.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know they're very different players but looking at this trade and the Bills getting back a second for Watkins, you're telling me we couldn't get a 4 or 5 for Decker?  I've given Macc the benefit of the doubt b/c I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but a trade like this does make me wonder.

51 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

They traded a SOLID Press Cover CB in Darby for Butter hands MAtthews?!?!?!:blink:

DARBY >>>>>>J. Matthews 

There's a reason why Eagles sent a 3rd rounder with it. You do that trade in a heartbeat. Darby isn't an elite corner to say no to that trade. Darby had 2 years left. Matthews has one. Chances are, both of them would've hit the FA unless they paid an amount neither one of them expects to receive in the FA. Bills essentially gained a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder for Darby. Watkins and Matthews aren't that far off when you consider how average Watkins has been along with his injury history. He had two sub par games against our pathetic secondary last season. It's not rocket science. Watkins isn't what he was advertised to be after his rookie season. Change of scenery might do the trick.

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'm sure some are I just don't think you can quantify thAt off a couple injuries over a 2 year span in a severely violent contact sport. 

I'm sure there's something to it. But Weighing risk reward I'd be more excited as a Rams fan today.

Agreed, I'm not saying Watkins necessarily falls in this category, just was curious your thoughts on the wider line of thinking.

I have a good friend who is a Rams fan, and he is absolutely ecstatic right now.  

42 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I dont disagree - but when healthy is an enormous caveat.  The guy has a bad injury that has lingered for years, its a huge difference in risk that the Bills no longer have to deal with.

From a talent standpoint its not close, but health is a huge issues

Jordan Mathews came out of college with a rep for having great hands, but appears to have left them there . I loved that kid coming out, but at the pro level, he looks like Stephen Hill .  Always open but can't catch .

Wait a minute, did the Rams just complete their transition to the the 2015 Bills Starting wideouts?  They have Robert Woods there too right?  So Watkins and Woods together again on the outside with Tavon Austin in the slot and Gurley as RB.  sh*t rams might actually look pretty good if Goff actually works out for them.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I agree, and what's worst, this looks more like an attempt at tanking than anything the jets have done .

I know you know this. A new regime comes in and clean out who they don't like/want. What do they care they didn't draft them. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

not if the jets can tank successfully....

The problem, it seems, is that both the Bills and Dolphins appear headed in that same direction this season.  Dolphins will still probably sweep us, but not sure about Bills.

alg-roger-goodell-lupica-jpg.jpg

We have a trade to announce, The Chicago Bears trade the first over all pick in the 2018 draft to the Buffalo Bills for their 1st round pick 5th overall, their other 2018 1st round pick and a 2nd pick this year and next.

The Buffalo Bills are proud to select Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

I know they're very different players but looking at this trade and the Bills getting back a second for Watkins, you're telling me we couldn't get a 4 or 5 for Decker?  I've given Macc the benefit of the doubt b/c I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but a trade like this does make me wonder.

Watkins = 24

Decker = 30

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

alg-roger-goodell-lupica-jpg.jpg

We have a trade to announce, The Chicago Bears trade the first over all pick in the 2018 draft to the Buffalo Bills for their 1st round pick 5th overall, their other 2018 1st round pick and a 2nd pick this year and next.

The Buffalo Bills are proud to select Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Wait, so you're saying that Trubisky is the real deal after spending the whole off season telling me how foolish I was for wanting him after 1 preseason game against scrubs  ?

2 hours ago, slats said:

Bills now have two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds next year. They're in excellent position to trade up for the QB of their dreams and still have plenty of picks left. 

Wow what a cache of draft picks. Imagine all the safety's  McCag could grab if Jets had those picks.

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Now factor in the amount of salary cap both players would be taking up .  I could be wrong, but i think Watkins is still on his rookie contract .

That's what I was gonna say. Decker was due about $7M this season, Watson costs less than $700K in salary. 

from the bills standpoint they got rid of a receiver who can't stay on the field and will want his money nonetheless and they got a decent receiver a corner and a 2 third round picks.  the rams aren't going anywhere so the picks will be in the high range.  but the afc east, especially the jets, made out because watkins isn't with the bills anymore.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

No worries we have a lot of depth at WR we don't need Watkins or Matthews. 

Teams want something in return. Do we have young talented CB's to spare or are we willing to give up future draft picks.

There's always a price to pay .

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Teams want something in return. Do we have young talented CB's to spare or are we willing to give up future draft picks.

There's always a price to pay .

What about Sheldon Richardson ?  By now Bowles and the rest of the team has to be feed up with having to answer questions on a topic that was supposed to be not mentioned anymore .

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What about Sheldon Richardson ?  By now Bowles and the rest of the team has to be feed up with having to answer questions on a topic that was supposed to be not mentioned anymore .

Sheldon seems like an easy answer , but we've either had no takers or the return price has been was too low.  I still believe he eventually gets moved ,but IMO the Jets are using him as insurance until Mo proves he's back to form.

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sheldon seems like an easy answer , but we've either had no takers or the return price has been was too low.  I still believe he eventually gets moved ,but IMO the Jets are using him as insurance until Mo proves he's back to form.

After this latest flare up with him running off at the mouth after being told to drop the subject, I would trade him for 2 cents on the dollar just on principle .  This team has to learn to follow instructions or suffer the consequences . With it being such a young team, a hard lesson should be taught immediately before the horse gets out of the barn .

Archived