Jamal Adams vs Darrelle Revis

tfine

1 hour ago, tfine said:

We all loved Revis in his prime. He was probably the best player we drafted in recent memory. Anyone think Adams will reach the level of stardom Revis reached during his prime?

Thoughts?

Yeah, not after 3 games. And no, we can't be that lucky. 

46 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Adams actually LOVES FOOTBALL, Revis loved money. Adams will make us all forget Revis won a Super Bowl with one of our most hated division rival.

And Mo used to be a team player. Money changes things. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Adams actually LOVES FOOTBALL, Revis loved money. Adams will make us all forget Revis won a Super Bowl with one of our most hated division rival.

Bullsh*t , no one likes playing and wasting time , energy, risk their health playing for a sh*tty team and 2-3 win seasons , a guy his caliber is going to play on this team for as much money as possible if that's the case , football in the end of the day is a game, those other things are more important than just loving football

not quite sure this is a valid comparison. it sure looks like adams is going to be a really good player but it's only been 3 games.  let's see after two or three seasons.  revis?  he was the best players at his position for about 5 seasons.  i don't think you play that well just for the money.  there's something that drives the really good players and once they lose that, it's over.

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Actually, one of the unknowns with Mo coming out of college was his motor. Even in college he took a lot of plays off. 

I agree completely. I've been saying it for years this guy takes a lot of plays off. Maybe reality is starting to kick in. Maybe snacks was much more valuable than anyone ever thought. But we decided to sign the bum at franchise QB money. Only Mac can fcuk that up...again. Then people question why he should get fired. 

11 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Holy crap really after 3 games?!?!?!

What's wrong with that? He's only asking the question if Adams will be the greatest safety ever to play the game. All you have to do is look past the "3 games" fact. I think if we switch him to QB, he'll actually become our franchise QB for two decades. 

Put down your green glasses and learn some optimism!

8 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

Bullsh*t , no one likes playing and wasting time , energy, risk their health playing for a sh*tty team and 2-3 win seasons , a guy his caliber is going to play on this team for as much money as possible if that's the case , football in the end of the day is a game, those other things are more important than just loving football

That's crap. Revis was a greedy as sh*t and always put himself above the team. He held out & ended up hurting his hamstring. The Jets never lowballed him & always offered him HUGE sums of money. The Jets will eventually pay Adams, I just don't see him being as greedy as Revis. Revis had 2 great years, then teams realized, let's just burn the Jets everywhere else.

3 games into Revis' career, he was OK. No one was saying, "Hey, this guy might be one of the best CBs' ever". Adams, on the other hand, has not just Jet fans, but also the so-called football experts/analyst saying he is something special. So, if I've got to put money on it, Yes, I do believe that Adams' career will eclipse that of Revis. It also helps that S is just a bigger position than CB, with far more opportunities to shine. Reed, Lott, Polamalu, Atwater, Lynch, et al... 

I am thrilled w/ Adams, I think he will be a great player but Revis is the best cover corner of all time.  we can appreciate Revis and hope Adams reaches that level.  I hope some day we are having a serious discussion about who was better b/c that will mean Adams is a HOF player.

Little soon for this discussion after three games.  Revis "problem" was he was too good
in coverage so QB's rarely tested him and HC didn't want to use him to blitz.  Therefore
he didn't generate the "sexy" INT stats.  Let's not forget the fact that Revis was able
to shutdown half the field in his prime.  Adams ability to play multiple positions will
allow him to generate stats (INT, sacks, forced fumbles) which will give him a greater
numerical impact than Revis had.  Hopefully he stays healthy and we can see this come
to fruition.  Adams ability to be a force in coverage, run support & blitzing reminds me
of Polamalu   

49 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am thrilled w/ Adams, I think he will be a great player but Revis is the best cover corner of all time.  we can appreciate Revis and hope Adams reaches that level.  I hope some day we are having a serious discussion about who was better b/c that will mean Adams is a HOF player.

At his best, yeah. Revis wasn't good; he was impossibly good.

Hope as we might, I don't see how it's possible for a safety - any safety - to compare, just from positional importance alone. The flexibility allowed, by putting just 1 defender on the league's most dangerous receiving weapons, can't be understated. Having that asset was a key component in making great QBs and great offenses look ordinary. It was like double or triple covering a beast WR with 1 player. And not just for an isolated play; all game long, week after week.

Unfortunately he wasn't like that for very long, even though he was still really good for a while.

For similar effective impact on a defense, Adams would have to have 3.3 speed so he could effectively be in 2 places at once (on top of any other attributes like attitude, instincts, etc.).

10 hours ago, Jetster said:

Sigh, regardless of the degree these guys "love football"...

THEY

ALL

LOVE

MONEY

EVERY

OTHER

HUMAN

BEING.

12 hours ago, David Harris said:

2009 Revis is Holy.

On par with Gastineau's sack record (which was not legitimately broken when Favre game himself up to Strahan).

Adams has little-to-no chance of matching up to the level of that great season.  However, it is very possible for Adams to have an overall superior long-term career.  As great as Revis was in his prime, that prime only lasted about 3 years, which is still being generous considering it included problems with hold-outs, being out of shape, and injuries that he was at fault for (as they were 100% related to him showing up as a fat ass).

The high point of Revis' career is nearly impossible to match, but the rest of it ranged from pretty good to one of the league's worst.

Revis has two pretty good seasons - rookie and 2014, one high context horrible season last year, and a bunch of elite ones including the ones that establish him as the GOAT DB. The guy played one start to finish season with a decent QB and they coasted to a Super Bowl, and that was towards the end of his prime. 

This whole new tale where he was just the peak of his peak is fun because, my guess anyway, is that it's a more passive pass at the money. Not picking a fight, just have noticed this narrative has emerged lately replacing the more angry ones just going after 2016 and directly his salary.

Archived