Sign in to follow this  
RutgersJetFan

Are we good with Anderson and Kearse as our 1 and 2 for next year?

On 12/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Even before today Anderson was shooting up into holy crap territory. Kearse has been consistent all year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

The numbers actually say this is a legitimate maybe. Both are still on insanely cheap deals. Would free up the resources we have to pursue other things. But I've just been heartbroken too many times and am struggling to find the will to trust again.

the thing about Anderson is, he is really getting better.   He is catching everything.  And no one can one on one him.  Pretty good for a squirt.

9 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

They still need to find a guy to go over the middle. Enuwa might be the guy but after his injury the jury is out on him for me.

hansen has been coming on.  those two first down catches were huge.  as for anderson and kearse there should be no doubt now about anderson's ability.  the guy has great hands and can take a hit.  he might need a little seasoning so he doesn't do stupid things off the field but he's been a great find.  kearse?  i remember that catch he made in the superbowl and then there was the one hand grab yesterday. definitely a great pick up for shelly. the bottom line is they have a good group right now so wr should not be a priority in the draft, assuming they can re-sign these guys.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Can't wait to see this group w/ Enunwa. 

what is Kearse's contract status?

His contract runs through 2018, he is due $5MM next season, none of that guaranteed, so they can easily move on from him, but at $5MM, I don't see why they would.

I am not convinced he is a legit #2 yet, through 10 games, he was averaging 3.5 catches and 40 yards.  He has been great these past two weeks but I want to see what he does over the next 5 games.  If I had to decide today, though, I would bring him back.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

His contract runs through 2018, he is due $5MM next season, none of that guaranteed, so they can easily move on from him, but at $5MM, I don't see why they would.

I am not convinced he is a legit #2 yet, through 10 games, he was averaging 3.5 catches and 40 yards.  He has been great these past two weeks but I want to see what he does over the next 5 games.  If I had to decide today, though, I would bring him back.

w/ Enunwa back that will be huge for him and this group.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

If we pick up another WR in draft or FA, I could see Enunwa moving to TE. Just hope he is healthy. Nasty injury.

Yes, he needs to get back to 100% or close.  we have some weapons to build on for the first time in a while.  The #1 priority needs to be rebuilding this OL.  I hope we get a good QB prospect but we need an overhaul on the OL.  at least 2-3 new starters next year.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Yes, he needs to get back to 100% or close.  we have some weapons to build on for the first time in a while.  The #1 priority needs to be rebuilding this OL.  I hope we get a good QB prospect but we need an overhaul on the OL.  at least 2-3 new starters next year.

Totally agree. We need 1-2 Olinemen, plus an edge rusher, as well as the obvious QB. Say we pick 8-10 ish. Would it be the worst thing to get one of of those two positions filled rather than reach for a QB? 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Totally agree. We need 1-2 Olinemen, plus an edge rusher, as well as the obvious QB. Say we pick 8-10 ish. Would it be the worst thing to get one of of those two positions filled rather than reach for a QB? 

They can't just take a QB to take one.  If they love one and have to move up then do it, if they don't then don't take one.  This will obviously be the biggest offseason for Macc and company. This offseason could set us up to be really good over the next decade or set us back again.

I don't think we are good with them, no, they were all acquired by Maccagnan, and he is incapable of bringing in any good talent at all, or so I am told by the experts on this board.

Assuming that Enunwa is healthy,  I think that an Anderson, Kearse, Enunwa trio with Stewart and Hansen filling out the back end is the strongest unit the Jets will have going into 2018.

As others have said, the Enunwa situation will definitely be a factor.  Anderson and Kearse are obviously set here and not going anywhere, so the question will be a combination of Enunwa's health and team's feelings about Stewart and Hansen's future.  If they have confidence, they could certainly stand pat with what they have.  If there are any concerns about those guys, even then they wouldn't need to look beyond the second tier of guys in FA, more for a #3 type option than anything.

20 minutes ago, peebag said:

Depends on his rehab and whether or not Jets want to resign him.

Enunwa is set to be an RFA, so he's not going anywhere.  His health, and potential rust even if healthy enough to play, will be a different question.

I think a big tall physical WR is something every team needs, especially when you get down into the red zone, so I would like to see the Jets look into possibly getting a guy like that if they can. But WR is not a pressing need. We have much bigger holes to fill, obviously QB, but also the O-Line.

16 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Let's hope Enunwa can come back from his injury.  If so this can be a pretty good group, including ASJ.  The good thing about Anderson and Kearse is they look durable.

Never thought we'd be able to to say Anderson is durable, but it may be so... He's so skinny it's hard to hit him somewhere. 

18 hours ago, August said:

We're set at the wide receiver position for the foreseeable future. Enunwa, Anderson, Kearse, and Kerley is a good group and they're all under 30.

Until this post I had actually forgotten Kerley is still a Jet. Shows how well the others have played in his absence.

Sorry, we definitely do need a young WR1.  Right now we have Enunwa, Anderson and Kearse and they are all number 2 wrs.  But Julio Jones or Brandon Marshall they are not, at least not yet.

Yes Anderson is on a hot streak, but he didn't start the season off well, and i'd argue a lot has to do with some pretty darn good passing by McCown.  Kearse also seems to get the majority of looks by the primary db.

So maybe Anderson develops (puts some muscle on etc) into a real wr1 and maybe Enunwa delivers his potential, but i'm not sold quite yet and that doesnt mean we shouldn't be looking.  I'd say that we really need a good slot WR to upgrade Kerley, and that can often be found in the mid rounds.  They shouldn't pass on an AJ Green type  generational talent either (assuming no QB picks are available).

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Anderson is legit. He is one of a few reasons Mac will not get fired.

I think Enunwa is done with football.

what is the reason you think Enunwa is done w/ football?