To Those Who Wanted Kirk Cousins, What Are Your Thoughts Now?

TuscanyTile2

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't ask this is a snooty way.  I'm genuinely asking what your thoughts are now that the Jets have traded up to #3.  If you had the choice to sign Cousins 3 years $30M per, would you prefer that over where we're at right now?

I would have preferred going with petty last yr, securing 2nd pick in draft for free. But that’s just me lol

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

I would have preferred going with petty last yr, securing 2nd pick in draft for free. Bet by that’s just me lol

I would've preferred Hack last year and getting #1 overall but that's bridge under the water at this point.

IMO Cousins is a very good, but not elite QB, far better than anyone on our team today so I would have been ok with it.

If we get Rosen, I will cry tears of joy.

If we get Mayfield, I will be happy and mildly apprehensive.

If we get Allen I will pray for the football gods to look kindly on us and end the Namath curse.

Just get us an elite QB!!

my thoughts? we just paid a whole lot of picks and have no idea if 2 qbs are going in front of us or not.....we are also vulnerable to someone still trading ahead of us to take a qb if we think the giants are taking barkley and that we were going to be choosing between 3 of the 4 qbs.

My plan A was Cousins bc the chances of any of these QB's being as good is not high. If that didn't happen then anything but trading up for a QB would of been a complete fail. I'm happy they moved quickly. I'm hopeful that they have an agreement with the Giants that if another team wants to trade up to #2 that they will contact the Jets before they trade that pick.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

As long as we didn't have to give up next year's 1, I am happy with where we are at.   Sometimes you have to take a risk and dare to be great.  May not work it out, but I like Macc taking the shot.

True. Especially if we get a top 10 pick again next yr

I wanted Cousins on a long term deal so he could secure the position for years to come while the Jets drafted the best talents they could with what they had.

I'm not unhappy about what actually happened at all though. What was most important was that the Jets have a plan at QB, and clearly they do. I'll miss the draft picks but respect the gamble taken with them, hopefully it'll all pan out.

This training camp should be fun, I cant wait to see the rookie and Bridgewater.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

True. Especially if we get a top 10 pick again next yr

That is part of the beauty of keeping next year's 1.  If we start a rookie QB, we could struggle again next year.  We could end up in the Top 10, and we could be one of the trade down targets for QB needy teams.  We could be well positioned to recoup some of the picks we just gave up. 

And if we are not in the Top 10, then there is a good chance that our rookie is playing well and its all good.

31 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't ask this is a snooty way.  I'm genuinely asking what your thoughts are now that the Jets have traded up to #3.  If you had the choice to sign Cousins 3 years $30M per, would you prefer that over where we're at right now?

it's kind of a pay me now pay me later scenario.  if they landed cousins those 2 second rounders would've been used to fill out key positions with some nice players.  even the pick 6 choice would've been good.  by missing out and moving up, they don't have the luxury of acquiring players through the draft.  they may get the best qb prospect though. not to mention whatever their 2nd rounder from next season would look like.

it may all work out because they still have quite a bit of cap room so they can still fill in with some good players if needed.

26 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

my thoughts? we just paid a whole lot of picks and have no idea if 2 qbs are going in front of us or not.....we are also vulnerable to someone still trading ahead of us to take a qb if we think the giants are taking barkley and that we were going to be choosing between 3 of the 4 qbs.

yep, but that assumes there is one qb who's much better than the others.  it looks like there are 4 very good prospects.  each one is a little different so picking any one may work out pretty well.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

That is part of the beauty of keeping next year's 1.  If we start a rookie QB, we could struggle again next year.  We could end up in the Top 10, and we could be one of the trade down targets for QB needy teams.  We could be well positioned to recoup some of the picks we just gave up. 

And if we are not in the Top 10, then there is a good chance that our rookie is playing well and its all good.

You are assuming the rookie will start right away. I don’t see that happening imo. We haven’t really addressed the horrible Oline yet. Slight upgrade at center but still big holes. Now that we traded our 2nds, unlikely we can improve the line in this yrs draft. No point to throwing a rookie to the wolves and letting him get beat up mentally and physically. Let McCown take those bruises ha 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You are assuming the rookie will start right away. I don’t see that happening imo. We haven’t really addressed the horrible Oline yet. Slight upgrade at center but still big holes. Now that we traded our 2nds, unlikely we can improve the line in this yrs draft. No point to throwing a rookie to the wolves and letting him get beat up mentally and physically. Let McCown take those bruises ha 

Wouldn't be surprised if they're committed to the sit and learn tactic, especially if it was Rosen that's selected.

The allure of signing Cousins was mostly due the possibilities of getting someone like Barkley, Chubb, or trading the pick to AZ or another team desperate for a QB.

That said without Cousins, I was fearful that we would either have to take a guy that everyone else passed on or miss out all together.  So the trade was a necessity.

Now sitting at 3, we are guaranteed one of our top 3 QBs.

Darnold is probably going to Cle, or at worst, the NYGs.

Rosen, would most likely be Macc’s preferred choice.  He is the “cleanest” prospect in terms to a combination of arm, mechanics, football IQ, and pro projection.  He is the safest pick because the consensus is he will be very good barring injuries.

Mayfield is the best statistically.  He would fit the Jets mentality because he was disrespected out of HS, walked on and eventually became the number 1 player in college football.  The Jets get disrespected by free agents (Cousins, Robinson, etc) and local and national media.  They all root for the Jets to become a circus so they can take advantage by mocking us.  That said, Mayfield has a very fiery personality.  Whatever team drafts him, can’t change him because that makes him who he is.  Of course, that could pit the Manish Mehta type of journalists to go after him.

Allen is by far the biggest risk.  I have been against taking him based on his putrid senior numbers.  Unlike the other three QBs, his accuracy is questionable.  But, with his arm, he may have the highest ceiling of any of the QBs.  What Allen needs is an organization and fan base that will be patient.  So the team that drafts him needs to have an answer at QB for probably the next two years.  With the Jets having McCown and Bridgewater on one year rental, not sure if he is the best option.  Who knows, we could easily extend McCown another season to “mentor.”  But with Allen’s mobility and size, it’s easy to see how GMs can like him.  The problem is, a prospect like used to go in the second round, not in the top 5.

15 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they're committed to the sit and learn tactic, especially if it was Rosen that's selected.

Why?  Rosen is the most ready to play out of the four of them.  He would be the smartest guy on the team, probably staff as well So playbook won’t be an issue.  

Mayfield needs to learn how to play under center and Allen needs to become accustomed to the difference between NFL defenses and Hawaii and Garner Webb.

I mean I know the Jets will screw this up somehow but at least there is hope.  I haven't felt this much hope in this team since Sanchez was drafted.

I have very little hope that bowels and crew can actually develop a young qb.  With Cousins you needed no development.  Now I have to hope Bowels gets canned next year and they get an offensive type coach before they ruin the new QB.  The Jets need a head coach who believes the offense is more than that time in the game when the defense gets a breather.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wish we had Cousins, our 1st and three 2nd rounders.  Not getting cousins cost us 4 draft picks (3 this year and 1 next). Now we'll have a QB which has a 50/50 chance of getting on the field this year and a lower chance of being better than Cousins.

On the other hand, we need a QB so I guess this is the second best option if we thought we weren't going to get our guy at 6.  I will really miss those picks though.  Maybe we trade back with Buffalo and get a kings ransom of picks. 

34 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

How do you know that a trade up with Giants was too costly? Maybe #3 was the best we could while holding onto 1st rd pick in ‘19. Jets put thems themselves in prime position for a franchise Qb while retains their top pick next year

My thoughts are, Cousins was a known quantity. At least a solid starting QB, a known floor with a chance to raise his ceiling at a cost of Lots of cash. Now we will pick from 4 complete unknowns. All with a 50% chance of being a bust and a small chance of being elite for a cost of lots of picks. Which one is better than the other?????????????????????

Archived