Schefter: Darnold Has Chance to Win QB Battle

CrazyCarl40

I was thinking that this prospect could be good, but I really would rather see McCown play behind this offensive line. 
If the offensive line works, then put in Darnold.   
So you like mediocrity

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, varjet said:

I was thinking that this prospect could be good, but I really would rather see McCown play behind this offensive line. 

If the offensive line works, then put in Darnold.   

Here's my take on this ...

Sam brings an element to the QB position that McCown doesn't. He has a lot more ability on designed roll outs etc than McCown. So seeing how McCown performs behind an O line doesn't necessarily give a true picture of the O line, if we're not asking them to play the same way based on who is under center.

Hope that makes sense. :-)

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Whether he starts or not remains to be seen, but one thing all the various reports sure seem to validate the notion that people within the orginazation believe he's legit.  We may have finally got the golden ticket.

Absolutely, compare the comments we are hearing about Darnold now vs. what we have heard about previous rookie and young QBs on this team, it’s night and day.  

Unless we are looking at a horrifically bad offensive line, which we aren’t at this point, Darnold is starting, and rightfully so.  

It is all up to him.  Or at least it should be.  If Darnold can prove that he is able to command the offense, read a defense, set protections, go through progressions and learn from mistakes (all things Bryce Petty could not do after 3 seasons), then he should start.  And nothing McCown or Teddy do should change that.  

None of this "Josh gives us the best chance to win" bs.  Can't wait to see that game on Friday night.

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Whether he starts or not remains to be seen, but one thing all the various reports sure seem to validate the notion that people within the orginazation believe he's legit.  We may have finally got the golden ticket.

As a ~50 year Jet fan, I am cautiously optimistic, but there is still a part of me that will not beleive it until I see it. 

1 minute ago, Lith said:

It is all up to him.  Or at least it should be.  If Darnold can prove that he is able to command the offense, read a defense, set protections, go through progressions and learn from mistakes (all things Bryce Petty could not do after 3 seasons), then he should start.  And nothing McCown or Teddy do should change that.  

None of this "Josh gives us the best chance to win" bs.  Can't wait to see that game on Friday night.

That phrase and comment is no longer able to be said.  It’s one thing when you have Petty and Hackenberg behind McCown, but when you have a 21 year old 3rd pick in the draft behind McCown, it sounds incompetent.  

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Absolutely, compare the comments we are hearing about Darnold now vs. what we have heard about previous rookie and young QBs on this team, it’s night and day.  

Unless we are looking at a horrifically bad offensive line, which we aren’t at this point, Darnold is starting, and rightfully so.  

Thank God!!!!

Our o line is Swiss cheese from what I have been hearing .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, I'll believe it when I see it.   I mean, I hope so.  But Todd Bowles is a coward on a level of coward few have ever seen before. 

I agree, but let’s face it, going 4-12 with McCown as QB he gets fired.  Going 4-12 with Darnold playing and looking promising, he keeps his job.  Not even Bowles could ignore that fact.  

That's a classic example of a "reporter" tweeting something that really says nothing and shed absolutely no insight into anything

I like Darnold and hope he starts soon, but the tweet is just another in a pile of a billion other worthless vapid tweets by sports reporters 

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree, but let’s face it, going 4-12 with McCown as QB he gets fired.  Going 4-12 with Darnold playing and looking promising, he keeps his job.  Not even Bowles could ignore that fact.  

Oh, 100% but I dont think Todd cares.  He's always had a younger option that would ultimately buy him more time and he's always favored the vet.  He loves Josh too and I think he thinks he can make the playoffs with Josh. 

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, 100% but I dont think Todd cares.  He's always had a younger option that would ultimately buy him more time and he's always favored the vet.  He loves Josh too and I think he thinks he can make the playoffs with Josh. 

If that’s the case, and Bowles is allowed to hinder and delay the development of this franchises future, by chasing some far reached idea that this team is a legit playoff contender,  then not only Bowles but Maccagnan should be shown the door by ownership.  

Rich Cimini‏ Verified account @RichCimini 52m

Todd Bowles, appearing on ESPN's "Get Up" this morning, gave a progress report on Sam Darnold: "He had great recall from the spring, so that was good. He has some catching up to do, obviously. He's seeing a lot more defense installed than he had in the spring as well, but he's learning from his mistakes and he's got poise in the pocket. But we haven't played any games yet. It's only been a week, but we like what we see thus far, as we do with Teddy (Bridgewater) and Josh (McCown) as well." Bowles hinted he may not make a decision on his starter until after the fourth preseason game. As I've been saying since camp started, Darnold will get a legit shot to win it.

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If that’s the case, and Bowles is allowed to hinder and delay the development of this franchises future, by chasing some far reached idea that this team is a legit playoff contender,  then not only Bowles but Maccagnan should be shown the door by ownership.  

Well, this is the way I see it.  They were earnestly attempting a playoff run last year with one of the worst rosters in the league.  I would assume they believe this to be a much less talented team.  So, fast forward a year with an offseason to add more talent, why would the goal change?  They brought Joshy back at 10mil along with a bunch of other veteran FA's; Johnson, Williamson, Crowell, Pryor, Warford, Long, Claiborne, Minter, Teddy B, C. Johnson, Anderson, Upshaw, Rawls, Roberts, Swanson, Wilcox, etc.  - that's a lot of veteran additions to just sit back and wait on next season. 

And the other factor; Darnold is playing catch up and they get no time with these kids to get them ready.  I just cant imagine him being ready to go with very little practice. 

Archived