Bridgewater & 6th Rounder traded to Saints for a 3rd Rounder

JetsFanatic

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Jets would never ever have seen a comp pick for Bridgewater b/c they have nearly $100 million to spend in FA and any deal Teddy would've signed would have been totally negated by who the Jets sign in FA.  It's smart on the Saints end b/c if he doesn't re-sign with them then they may be in line for a 3rd or 4th round comp pick and they look smart.  It's a win/win for both teams

Interesting analysis.  

Maybe it is a win/win trade 

The Saints are playing a go-for-it strategy this coming year (Davenport trade) so the 3rd rounder might be a low 3rd rounder (that they’ll recoup that with a 4th round comp pick). And it’s possible for them to franchise him should things go in an unexpected direction this year.  For them, very low risk.

Jets very likely couldn’t recoup a 4th rounder for Teddy if he walked after this year (as per your analysis) so they essentially got a team to send us a slight premium (again saints 3rd rounder will like be low 3rd and they’ll recoup a 4th).  Jets then threw them some protection (by giving them a 6th) in case saints 3rd is higher than expected.  Also saints have to pay majority of TBW’s salary (I think because jets would’ve been on the hook for 5M if TBW started the season as a jet).   Prob starters are not playing preseason week 4 so Macc doesn’t expect a starter to get injured prior to regular season at this point. 

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You understand they won't get a comp pick but want to subtract a comp pick from the value? Do not follow.

Any player with an expiring contract that is worth money on the open market has a base rate of value floor given by his comp rate draft value, regardless of whether your team actually uses that or not the following year.  You can trade Bridgewater (or anyone else that has comp pick value) to a team full of vets and expect to get some of that value back, simply b/c they will leave after their stint is over and give that team draft value.  So a trade is always based upon how much *better* you do than that base rate.

Teams that expect an exodus of FA's usually stock up on even more expiring contracts so as to maximize their efficiency under the NFLs comp rate.  The Packers, Pats and Ravens are masters at this sort of gamesmanship.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's amazing that the Cult of Darnold has reached such a fever pitch that even being unhappy with McCown or Whathisface as the #2 QB is now considered Anti-Darnold blasphemy, and grounds for Buttfumbles, lol.

I sure hope Darnold's play is worth putting up with the Cultist Contingent.

?

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Raiders are "giving the impression" to teams they want two first-round picks for holdout DE Khalil Mack.

Pelissero says Oakland received "a bunch of calls" regarding Mack's availablity in recent days, but GMs are turned off by Jon Gruden's asking price. No team is going to part with two first-rounders for Mack, especially when they also have to make him one of the league's highest-paid players. Perhaps a deal could happen if the Raiders dropped their asking price to a first- and a third-round pick, but that's not yet in the cards. Yahoo's Charles Robinson recently reported Mack is "likely" to miss regular season games.

2 Firsts nah.

A First and one of our 3rds?  Fine.

Y'all still won't get that video of me pissing myself because we, unfortunately, aren't getting Mack and I ain't losing that bet.

I'll happily take Fowler as compensation though.

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

That wasn't going to happen. If TB was signed for more than 1 season the return would have been greater but even then that would not have been enough to get Mack. That was a pipe dream.

We traded Richardson in the last yr of his contract for a 2 and a wr but it’s all about supply and demand, team needs and trade fits.  Everybody knew Teddy was for sale.  If there was a better deal for us , no one was keeping it a secret

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

They got a net of 4th. Massive difference between a 4th and 2nd. Just like he could get hurt being a bench player, I’m pretty sure other NFL QBs that are starting are at a much higher risk of getting hurt, which would’ve helped our cause and if it didn’t, there was no harm keeping him and netting a 4th round comp as opposed to trading and getting a 4th round pick 

Two things.  

A third minus a 6 th don’t equal a fourth.   If it you’re going to argue it does , show me the trades of a a mid 3 rd rder for a 4 th and a 6 th

we wouldn’t have gotten any draft pick for him next year after our free agent spending spree, any pick we did get wouldn’t be for 2019 but 2020

Compare apples to apples

We got a 3. Teddy was not the future here, he may be in New Orleans. This is Sams team now sink or swim.  I like all the moves except they didn’t fire Bowles, but that’s next. Or we made the playoffs.  That being said. Enjoy the season and let’s hope the new uniforms don’t look like crap.  

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

Do you know what Mcc does day to day?What Heimerdinger does day to day?  

And I’d guess Heimerdingers first 1st round pick, 1st FA signing flop, 1st 7th round pick bust would be criticized like every other Jets GM. 

Drinks lots of coffee and watches the Housewives of New York on demand.

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

For years and years, the initials “TB” stood for our rival QB up north.

Then, Bowles came in and caused a ruckus on our forums because some abbreviating enthusiasts don’t understand how to use context. 

Count me tickled that the Teddy Bridgewater trade will FINALLY reduce the number of lazy  “TB” abbreviaters (you know who you are) from carrying on. 

Todd Blackledge?

8 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

it's easy to forget the sequence of events.  the jets signed bridgewater before they traded to #3 and before the draft.  if you had told mccagnan before the draft that he was getting darnold i don't think he would have signed bridgewater.  

I'm pretty sure that if you had told Mac before the draft that he was getting Darnold and would be able to upgrade a 2019 6 to a 2019 3 if he just signed Bridgewater and paid him 500K to be in camp, you'd have to be standing off to the side to avoid being trampled by a coffee'd up blur heading to the phone to call Bridgewater's agent

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

TB and our 6th for their LATE 3rd (since Saints will finish top 10 in NFL) actually translates into an early 4th. So much for getting a 2nd for TB. 

The saints drafted 14, 12, and 11 the last three yrs. Might be closer to a high third rder than a 4 th

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Didn’t think out this point. It’s a good one.

The Browns offered the Pats a 1st round pick the previous year for Jimmy G and Belichick turned it down.  Once the trade deadline was about to hit Kraft ordered Belichick to trade him.  SF was 1) a different conference and 2)  Kyle Shanahan’s dad Mike defended Belichick during deflategate

Pay it forward

I would have liked to see us get more for Bridgewater, but cannot complain about a 3.  Yes, we probably could have held onto him into the season up to the deadline to see if a contender loses a starter, but that strategy is not without its own risk.  Teddy has missed two years due to a major knee injury.  So far, he has not played more than a half of football and taken a handful of hits.  Nobody, not Macc, not the Saints, nobody knows how the knee will hold up over the long haul.  Any kind of setback would have destroyed his trade value.  We took a 3 now for the cost of Teddy and a 6.  It may be below market for a 25 year-old back-up with starter potential, but it is an asset in hand.  Making the deal now also frees up a roster spot which has some, albeit limtied, value.

I would have preferred to wait to see if we could get more, but a day 2 pick is a valuable asset.  Lets just hope Macc makes good use of it.

Archived