I've defended Macc

Jetster

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

I think people underestimate the amount this happens with every other team around the league.

The issue is that although other teams have lots of misses the good teams have a lot of hits as well.  If you get the misses and are not getting hardly any hits after round 1 you are in trouble. 

I think Macc gets a bit of a pass because of the fact that it looks like we finally found a QB.  And while I agree the draft can be a bit overrated and if you look around the league I'd say Macc has been average.  With that being said though, I do worry about his lack of really being able to find impact players beyond the 1-2nd rds.  There's always that fear that if Darnold does turn into what we think he'll be that we turn into the Colts or the Chargers.  A perennial 9-7/10-6 type team who wasted the prime years of a franchise QB because we weren't able to build a team around him.  Barring a complete disaster this year I'm willing to give him next year to get this team to the next level I mean at some point this team needs to make the playoffs.  I just hope Chris Johnson recognizes this as well and doesn't give Mac or Bowles a free pass for the next 3-5 years just because he got us Darnold.  

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, so does this make it ok to criticize his lack of effectiveness?

My favorite threads are the ones where someone tells you that now, today, is the day it's okay to think something that most people have known for a long time.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

You don't need to take offensive lineman in the 1st round to have a good offensive line.

You need to draft them though.  The jets under Mac have used the least draft resources of any team in the league on the oline.  The least, dead last.  Teams with all pro olines are still drafting oline.  Not only that he fully knew we at some point were going to shoot for the moon with a young Qb and he ignored the oline.  Pure idiocy.  He'd rather take a flyer on wrs and cbs it seems.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You need to draft them though.  The jets under Mac have used the least draft resources of any team in the league on the oline.  The least, dead last.  Teams will all pro olines are still drafting oline.  Not only that he fully knew we at some point were going to shoot for the moon with a young Qb and he ignored the oline.  Pure idiocy.  He'd rather take a flyer on wrs and cbs it seems.

This is still football and you still win games in the trenches.  They seemed to think that the DL is all that is important.

I find it interesting that they seem to think kick returns and punt returns are the same thing.  You need a good punt returner.  Any numbnuts with a bit of speed can return kicks or kneel down in the end zone.  Punt returns require hands, nerve and wiggle.  I've done it, it is scary and fun.  Even great college returners (Kyle Wilson) fail at it in the NFL.  Cannon's inability to do it cost a roster spot.  The idea that Cannon and Stewart would/could without doing it in college is laughable. 

59 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

With Macc only one pick will carry any weight. I keep saying this. No matter how many draft picks get released, one pick will decide his legacy

Too bad this pick is going to get killed because he utterly failed to create a decent oline.  Mac was in Houston in the david carr era, you would have thought he would learn.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Alabama is 3-0 and has scored 50+ points in every game.

We have people on our Bama boards bitching about our offensive line.  Others are bitching because we lost a recruit to Michigan

Bama's placekicking has been bad for 4 years - obviously, that is the #1 topic of pissing and moaning on most Bama boards right now

Our backup QB said he thought briefly about transferring - for that he has incurred the everlasting virulent hatred of 33% of the posters

They recently announced a remodel to Bryant-Denny stadium with the intent to reduce seating and add luxury boxes - many people are bitching about that - those with season tickets in the affected sections are OUTRAGED

We have a 5* recruit LB who is a sophomore and hasn't done much yet - many posters bitch about him

Our Athletic Director hasn't renegotiated the school's contract with NIKE and many people think he could get a much better deal if he wasn't such a damn idiot

#FootballFans

The Bama fans are complaining about Jonah Williams?  I hope NFL GM's don't like him either until the Jets pick.  Guys a beast.  

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

You don't need to take offensive lineman in the 1st round to have a good offensive line.

Obviously not helping this season but someone to keep an eye on '19 FA..Jake Fisher..He's backup LT per Bengals depth chart. UFA at end of season. Alexander is now Cowboys OL coach. Don't think they need Fisher w/TSmith

"Fisher is probably the most accomplished zone tackle in this draft. He fits the zone scheme of the Cincinnati Bengals. Offensive line coach Paul Alexander is really going to like him. He finishes plays; playing through the whistle." -- Mike Mayock

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

You don't. But it helps. Especially at the LT position. If you hit on a LT in the draft and he stays healthy, you hold on to him for dear life. This is why all the LT FAs are either injury prone, very old, or simply not very good. The top of the draft is where you get those kind of guys. If you are lucky, a pro bowl caliber LT hits the open market and you have to pay through the nose. That's best case scenario. 

When the Jets drafted D'Brick and Mangold they had 2 Pro Bowl caliber studs on the O-line for over a decade. Both were 1st rounders. 

So you are right. But in the case of the Jets, they could really use another D'Brick. It would make the whole unit better immediately.  

watch #69 Desmond Harrison tonight for Cleveland. He's a UDFA who peed hot at the combine and missed the entire preseason with injury. This will be his third game starting at left tackle. And you know what, he's not bad. 

There are project LT guys like Jason Peters (Jordan Mailata was a 7th round pick he will likely be the future LT starter to replace Peters). As Max says There are ways of getting the OL better without using first-round picks

all this being said the OL IS better than last year. Spencer Long is a huge upgrade over Wesley Johnson. There are much worse position groups Jets fans could complain about for example TE or OLB could legitimately the worst group of all teams in the league.

And if we are being honest Darnold is performing as a 25th rank QB or so. HE's got hope etc but he turned the ball over too many time and it's not because the OL isn't doing its job, Darnold has to get rid of it when he faces too many rushers. having pro bowl OT doesn't change that fact. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

2018 Draft was Caldwell's first outside the top 5...He hit a HR on his first 3 round picks in '16..His 4th that yr lasted less than 2 yrs and his remaining three picks (2 6's and a 7th) were waived and are elsewhere. His '15 4th is out of football. They just resigned their 5th from that draft after waiving him a week earlier. Their 7th Sterling we know is now w/Jets

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2250&type=team

If you break it down by stratgy, draft and free agency, he's been the best in the league the last 5 years. Take into account both he and Mac started with one of the worst rosters in the league

David Caldwell

Strategy: First round picks

13: LT (Joeckel doesn't work out but he was considered the top LT on the board at the time)

14: QB

15: Edge

16: CB

17: RB

...you can clearly see what he's trying to do here with an emphasis on premium positions

Draft:

13: Cyprien has been a solid NFL player on other teams but tough rookie campaign, mulligan to the rest of his picks but tried to hit on LT to start his career

14: Bortles is the question mark but Lee is a clearcut starting caliber WR (when not hurt), Allen a Pro Bowler (when not hurt),  gets Linder, a borderline PFF All Pro OG/OC in the 3rd round, Smith an All pro in the 5th

15: Fowler is one of the better edge guys in the league when healthy, Yeldon is probably one of the best change of pace backs in the NFL, Cann is a very solid starter. 

16: Elite Shutdown CB, Jack is one of the better ILBs, Ngakoue is a Pro Bowler

17: Elite RB, Starting OT, Smoot was contributing sacks in big games last year, solid slot WR

...between '14 and '17 (during same time frame as Maccagnan) Caldwell drafted 6 Pro Bowlers/4 All Pro/13 starters 

Free Agency (during same time frame as Maccagnan '14-)

Campbell: All Pro DL 

Jackson: Pro Bowler DL

Bouye: All Pro CB

Norwell: All Pro OG

...so in the same time frame that Maccagnan has been GM of the Jets, Caldwell has brought a total of 7 All Pro/ 10 Pro Bowlers to the Jags roster including 2 OL, 1 WR, 1 RB, 3 DL, 1 LB and 2 DB (Disclaimer Robinson is no longer with the team).

17 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

At some point you dudes are gonna have stop whining and let the rebuilding process play out . 

Where have we heard this before dude we have been through uncountable rebuilds.  There is not one thing wrong with voicing criticism of the way a team is doing things.  some of us actually want to win rather than 'relax and see what happens'

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

watch #69 Desmond Harrison tonight for Cleveland. He's a UDFA who peed hot at the combine and missed the entire preseason with injury. This will be his third game starting at left tackle. And you know what, he's not bad. 

There are project LT guys like Jason Peters (Jordan Mailata was a 7th round pick he will likely be the future LT starter to replace Peters). As Max says There are ways of getting the OL better without using first-round picks

all this being said the OL IS better than last year. Spencer Long is a huge upgrade over Wesley Johnson. There are much worse position groups Jets fans could complain about for example TE or OLB could legitimately the worst group of all teams in the league.

The line is better.   Shell is better in year 3.   Winters isn't hurt.   The center position isn't a black hole that kills Qbs.

It's just a frustration this team doesn't really have a strong point.   I guess it's the secondary, but really name a position group that is much above league average.

56 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

My favorite threads are the ones where someone tells you that now, today, is the day it's okay to think something that most people have known for a long time.

My favorite threads are the ji threads were I get to say I was right, Klecko73 chimes in with something and I get to give him positive rep.

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Alabama is 3-0 and has scored 50+ points in every game.

We have people on our Bama boards bitching about our offensive line.  Others are bitching because we lost a recruit to Michigan

Bama's placekicking has been bad for 4 years - obviously, that is the #1 topic of pissing and moaning on most Bama boards right now

Our backup QB said he thought briefly about transferring - for that he has incurred the everlasting virulent hatred of 33% of the posters

They recently announced a remodel to Bryant-Denny stadium with the intent to reduce seating and add luxury boxes - many people are bitching about that - those with season tickets in the affected sections are OUTRAGED

We have a 5* recruit LB who is a sophomore and hasn't done much yet - many posters bitch about him

Our Athletic Director hasn't renegotiated the school's contract with NIKE and many people think he could get a much better deal if he wasn't such a damn idiot

#FootballFans

You can always find somthin to bitch bout.

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The line is better.   Shell is better in year 3.   Winters isn't hurt.   The center position isn't a black hole that kills Qbs.

It's just a frustration this team doesn't really have a strong point.   I guess it's the secondary, but really name a position group that is much above league average.

All true.  Beachum is worse-hurt and older.   Carpenter is not better.   The Jets will do very poorly when the opponent has a pass rusher that Beachum can’t block.  The Browns, Jax and Broncos fall into that category. 

28 minutes ago, HessStation said:

If you break it down by stratgy, draft and free agency, he's been the best in the league the last 5 years. Take into account both he and Mac started with one of the worst rosters in the league

David Caldwell

13: LT (Joeckel doesn't work out but he was considered the top LT on the board at the time)

...you can clearly see what he's trying to do here with an emphasis on premium positions

Draft:

13: Cyprien has been a solid NFL player on other teams but tough rookie campaign, mulligan to the rest of his picks but tried to hit on LT to start his career

14: Bortles is the question mark but Lee is a clearcut starting caliber WR (when not hurt), Allen a Pro Bowler (when not hurt),  gets Linder, a borderline PFF All Pro OG/OC in the 3rd round, Smith an All pro in the 5th

15: Fowler is one of the better edge guys in the league when healthy, Yeldon is probably one of the best change of pace backs in the NFL, Cann is a very solid starter. 

17: Elite RB, Starting OT, Smoot was contributing sacks in big games last year, solid slot WR

...between '14 and '17 (during same time frame as Maccagnan) Caldwell drafted 6 Pro Bowlers/4 All Pro/13 starters 

...so in the same time frame that Maccagnan has been GM of the Jets, Caldwell has brought a total of 7 All Pro/ 10 Pro Bowlers to the Jags roster including 2 OL, 1 WR, 1 RB, 3 DL, 1 LB and 2 DB (Disclaimer Robinson is no longer with the team).

This is just absolutely brutal to read. Super pumped for the velcro shoe crew to stagger in here and explain that none of this counts because the Jags started rebuilding like four years before us or because Woody ordered Maccagnan to draft bad players or because the fans are too negative or whatever bullsh*t they’re on today

30 minutes ago, HessStation said:

David Caldwell

Draft:

No, I understand. Again he's been drafting within the top 5 (obviously not just the 1st but 2nd etc..) his first 5 drafts. Lee doesn't do anything for me (he's always hurt going back to his USC days)...Smoot intrigued me pre-draft but he hasn't had a sack yet..at least the sites I looked (been inactive both '18 games).  I was hoping LT Robinson made it to the Jets last yr in the 2nd. 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Alabama : college football :: Jets : NFL

51 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

How to Fail the SAT 101

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I resent this. How to Fail the SAT is a 300-level course, minimum.

Analogies were eliminated from the SAT like 20 years ago.  You are way behind the times.  Much like Bowles' concept of offense.  

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I was hoping LT Robinson made it to the Jets last yr in the 2nd. 

it should be noted Cam Robinson blew out his ACL last week and is out for the season 

if the Jets had drafted him they'd have a Jamal Adams sized hole at safety and Qvalue at LT this week

Archived